Next Captain of your club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunna throw my head out hear and say I dont think being captain is held in that high esteem anyway, so although you pick someone who is a leader, I don't think it will change much

Yeah good shout. At this point he's obviously not ready, but it's definitely something he's capable of doing later on in his career (when he hits his mid-late 20's). I guess we'll see over the next few seasons in the lead up to Gerrard's retirement how much he develops and whether he's ready to take on that responsibility at that time.

He's definitely got all the attributes you'd want in a leader and will be a 10+ year player for us, but at the end of the day your captain needs to be 1 of, if not *the* 1st name on the team sheet and with the rumours surrounding certain midfielders that may be pursued during the summer, Henderson's long term place as a crucial member of our 1st XI may not be set in stone just yet (though on his current trajectory I wouldn't put it past him). You want your captain to be a 40+ game/season player, not a 30+ game/season player.

I agree, from the sounds of things he's very highly respected within the club and is going to be a permanent fixture in your 1st XI for many years to come. He's not a 'grab your team by the scruff of the neck' style player but there are other ways to show leadership, and as others have said he seems to have a very level head on his shoulders, and so far hasn't shown any inclination to sleep with any of his team mates wives/girlfriends which would be a welcome change for the Chelsea players I'm sure.

haha, good call:thumbsu:

Rooney would be good. But if Vidic plays for another 3-4 years and Phil Jones is in his mid 20's and playing regularly, i think he would make a fine captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

are you trying to tell me juddy isnt a good leader?

Seriously get off the gear, you talk shit.
He makes a decent point. I wouldn't call Judd a stellar leader either. He's not terrible but he's certainly not the best, more likely middle of the pack.

Michael Voss was a great player and a brilliant leader, as was Wayne Carey. Nick Maxwell and Tom Harley were both average players and great leaders.

I think Jan Vertonghen will Captain Spurs one day. Just looks all class, not afraid to say his bit, great rep as captain of Ajax.

Without a doubt him or Hugo Lloris

Riccuito was another great player and great leader

I think Jan Vertonghen will Captain Spurs one day. Just looks all class, not afraid to say his bit, great rep as captain of Ajax.

Without a doubt him or Hugo Lloris

Agreed, Vertonghen would be my pick

For us it really depends on when Gerrard hands over the reins. If for some reason he decided to do that this year, it would most likely go to Agger or Reina. If he does it in 3-4 years; you'd back Lucas, Suarez, Henderson or Kelly to get the nod, IMO, As long as they're playing regular football.

He makes a decent point. I wouldn't call Judd a stellar leader either. He's not terrible but he's certainly not the best, more likely middle of the pack.

Michael Voss was a great player and a brilliant leader, as was Wayne Carey. Nick Maxwell and Tom Harley were both average players and great leaders.

lol.

Thanks for the morning laugh, shit player and shit leader.

lol.

Thanks for the morning laugh, shit player and shit leader.
*yawn*

Maxwell is an excellent captain even if he is an average player. If you want proof watch the 2010 grand final.

*yawn*

Maxwell is an excellent captain even if he is an average player. If you want proof watch the 2010 grand final.

I did watch the GF. Can you pinpoint me to the certain parts in that game that makes him a great captain?

I did watch the GF. Can you pinpoint me to the certain parts in that game that makes him a great captain?
Last quarter. Saves an otherwise certain Riewoldt goal from a stoppage by sprinting 30 metres back towards goal and smothering it on the line. Takes a big mark at half back in the dying moments that stops a St. Kilda attack when they're up by five points. The same mark also starts the chain of possession that leads to our final goal, the one that put us a point ahead. If that's not standing up and leading when the pressure is on I don't know what is.

I'm not comparing Maxwell to Carey or Voss, btw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back