Next Captain of your club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Last quarter. Saves an otherwise certain Riewoldt goal from a stoppage by sprinting 30 metres back towards goal and smothering it on the line. Takes a big mark at half back in the dying moments that stops a St. Kilda attack when they're up by five points. The same mark also starts the chain of possession that leads to our final goal, the one that put us a point ahead. If that's not standing up and leading when the pressure is on I don't know what is.

I'm not comparing Maxwell to Carey or Voss, btw.

Yeah he had some excellent moments in one game (although the biggest game) hardly makes him a great leader all round.

I think Rooney will be our next captain, then after him, maybe johnny Evans or phil jones.

Arsene doesnt rate captains as he keeps selling his

As one of my Arsenal supporting mates says - he hopes Ramsey, Gervinho and Mertesacker are future captains of Arsenal :D

At the moment, would probably be either Cabaye or Steven Taylor. Our new cb, M'Biwa was captain of Montpellier before coming across. Captain at 23 of a team that won the French Ligue 1 with a relatively unheralded team and played in the CL. Could be next in line after these guys.

At the moment, would probably be either Cabaye or Steven Taylor. Our new cb, M'Biwa was captain of Montpellier before coming across. Captain at 23 of a team that won the French Ligue 1 with a relatively unheralded team and played in the CL. Could be next in line after these guys.
I'd put my cash on Taylor. Think Cabaye is too talented to remain loyal to Newcastle unless they improve out of dight.

I'd put my cash on Taylor. Think Cabaye is too talented to remain loyal to Newcastle unless they improve out of dight.

Cabaye could easily play for a bigger team and if he wanted to leave it would be sad to see him go. Though in saying that, he is playing for the French national side at present (along with 4 other French internationals), we just brought his best mate Debuchy last month to play with him and he is regarded as the unofficial leader of our French contingent (11 players in the squad and 14 french speaking players) at the club. Sure there might be more prestigious teams out there that challenge for silverware every year but from all accounts he is happy to have his name sung by 52 thousand newcastle fans :D

If we can build on our squad in the european summer, have some better luck with injuries, who knows - we might be able to give the top order another shake up and push for Europe again :thumbsu:

Though Steven Taylor is an academy product and has been at the club longer. Also is fanatical in defence and plays for the shirt and loves the club as a boyhood fan. Both would be great captains to succeed Colocinni IMO. Maybe giving Cabaye the armband may make him ignore interest from the bigger teams.

Wilshere will get the captaincy as soon as Verm moves on/retires/gives up the captaincy, and will hold it until the day he retires as an Arsenal legend. He should get the English captaincy soon as well, true leader type and still has a good 15 years in him.

1) Lloris - France national captain says enough really
2) Kaboul - IIRC was given the armband by 'Arry. When at his best is a beast of a CB who throws himself around
3) Vertonghen - Seems like the sort of ice cool captain that Ledley was

A smokey in a few years time would be Lewis Holtby. Early days I know but he looks like a vocal tenacious type who would lift his team mates when needed

Wilshere will get the captaincy as soon as Verm moves on/retires/gives up the captaincy, and will hold it until the day he retires as an Arsenal legend. He should get the English captaincy soon as well, true leader type and still has a good 15 years in him.

While I'd be looking at him or Rooney for the England captaincy post-Gerrard, I don't think he's quite ready for it just yet. I think it would do him a world of good to shadow Gerrard for the next season or 2 at the national team camps to learn more about what is required to truly lead a team as I can't imagine he's really had a mentor like that over the course of his Arsenal career. He missed out on Henry and would have been in nappies when Viera was around. I don't think Arsenal have had a truly dominant, inspiring leader since those 2 left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back