Remove this Banner Ad

jakson68

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Port Noarlunga
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi Guys,

The great Mr Wright and his team have our salary cap finally in order.
The Fabulous Fly and his team, have our team humming and has created a culture to be envied by all.

So financially we are good, games style is fun to play, huge adoring crowds and our evolving culture make the Pies just a great place to be.
Collingwood is fast becoming a destination club for all the right reasons, not just a paycheck.

Now that we are getting into a position to be able to pay a "big fish", who do we think we will target and when?

King, JUH, Marshall, ect. There are a few big forwards out of contract over the next couple of years and this is an area we have struggled to lure.

I would love for us to target a young key forward and I am curious if and who the faithful think we are a chance with.
We are building to chase someone, maybe a midfielder, hopefully a forward but who?

Who can you see us chasing next?

JUH or King would be my pick.
King maybe the more likely of the two.
Both will cost an enormous amount of draft capital to trade in.
Maybe we end up going after Logan McDonald if JUH was to accept Sydney's rumoured offer.
King likely to stay at GC.
I would of thrown a multi million dollar/years offer at Larkey before he signed on last year.

Marshall will be the cheapest out of the whole lot

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He’s a free agent next year too isn’t he? I reckon he’s the one we’ll target purely based on the fact that we won’t have the trade currency to get the premium target like a King.

Every team wants a big name KPF, the fans love them and they’re great for merchandise sales.

But not convinced that they represent great value for money out of the salary cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it's just a bad perspective on an individual but I don't really think much of Todd Marshall. Remains to be seen what the new agreement will see free agents earn but under the old agreement, I think Port would happily pay 6x700k which means we'd have to match length and pay 800+, and if Port don't get top 10 compensation they may match. I think he's a good player but that's about it. I know our system doesn't require star individuals to produce results but yeah - not a top 15 big forward going around right now IMO; arguably not top 20. Can shank kicks, can drop his head and become ineffectual.

Hopefully we can draft or develop our own but if not I’d like us to sit back and see how the young forwards around the league develop
  • Cadman is an interesting one as a true KPP
  • Morris who went to Brisbane could be a Checkers replacement if he goes well
Hoping we can load up w some gun mids in next 1-2 years then grab our KPFs

Marshall will be the cheapest out of the whole lot

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He’s more than sufficient.

We have many other gaps emerging on the horizon…I always most concerned about a shortage of ball winners and ball movers. Mitchell, Pendles, Sidey, Adams (not yet replaced), Crisp also wrong side of 30…that is some serious talent out the door in the near term.

We have a lot of trust in Macrae, Allan, Reef and this years haul…it’s unlikely they all come on. Even if they did we’d still be well placed to bring in another A grader.

I’d also argue we are still a key back short as well, hopefully Dean comes good and resolves that issue for us.

Good JUH would be a dream but I can’t see that happening. The strategy is pretty clear with free agents so no real outgoing costs. Sound one I reckon but JUH running around in our forward line with our style, man 🤩
The outgoing cost is salary premium. Cap space is at a premium so I think we need to have some of my out homegrown talent coming through

Every team wants a big name KPF, the fans love them and they’re great for merchandise sales.

But not convinced that they represent great value for money out of the salary cap.
Don’t think we need much help with merchandise sales.

Maybe it's just a bad perspective on an individual but I don't really think much of Todd Marshall. Remains to be seen what the new agreement will see free agents earn but under the old agreement, I think Port would happily pay 6x700k which means we'd have to match length and pay 800+, and if Port don't get top 10 compensation they may match. I think he's a good player but that's about it. I know our system doesn't require star individuals to produce results but yeah - not a top 15 big forward going around right now IMO; arguably not top 20. Can shank kicks, can drop his head and become ineffectual.
I would be thrilled to not get him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back