Discussion Nick Walsh, Head of High Performance and Conditioning quits

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like it's two different issues - a problem with the rehab program or how it is being overseen and then what has caused Walsh to leave.
Both things may be (and probably are) tied together.

Anyone know who oversees the rehab?

It's not mentioned anywhere on the website.
LinkedIn is your friend.

David Misson - Acting GM Football
Nick Walsh - Head of Performance and Conditioning
Brad Newton - Head of Strength and Power
Samuel Allen - High Performance Coach
Hal Marsden - Rehabilitation Coordinator
Michael O'Donnell - High Performance and Football Analysis
Tom Laumets - Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach

It's been quite bizarre how many players haven't been able to get back on the field within the initial projections. I don't remember a time where we had so many players significantly reinjuring themselves coming back from separate injuries. Our rehab manager Hal Marsden has a more impressive resume than Walsh, having spent 8 years at Melbourne Storm, though his experience is all in rugby, where you are dealing with a very different type of athlete with difference running/strength requirements.

Time for us to head hunt someone with a proven track record of success in the AFL.

The only concern to me is the re-injury of injured players. If that's the only reason for his immediate resignation then fair enough however my own personal opinion is that it seems Walsh has been undermined by someone else at the club and the only logical choice would be Misson (because of the immediate resignation despite Walsh saying he wanted a career change - you would think if all was OK then this would've been planned) We are an elite hard running side with many of our list coming back for the pre-season in top shape - a dozen having career best numbers. Walsh should be credited largely for that - and the fact that we are so fit leads me to believe he packed up and left for more reasons than the re-injury issues.

Same season that Ratten told the group to go and do their own programs over the summer after making finals in 2020. How can you attribute this to Walsh? Ratten is the head coach and told the players otherwise - to me it's on Ratten. Walsh had written the programs for the players but without guidance and elite level management it went to s**t. Walsh can't go over Ratten's head.
I think you’re not factoring in what the perception of Lyon can do to players.

When he was in the middle of getting appointed - I have it on good authority the playing group was reaching out to ex players or ex teammates who have played under Ross.

Apparently Hill told them to be prepared to work harder than ever before and come back as fit as possible.

So it isn’t all on Walsh how fit they are. They can own part of that too.

The injuries aren’t all on Walsh either. Doesn’t mean he won’t fall on his sword because of it either.

Ultimately his job is Head of Performance and conditioning

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a surprise. That's what we signed up for. You don't invite Ivan the Terrible to run your mothers club and then whinge about it not being a very chill environment any more.

We wanted unrelenting standards and a few are starting to wither when the heat goes up. Good.

To be honest.

I’m not sure why this is even a reflection on Ross at all.

If someone quits at Round 8 - that says to me they weren’t doing a good enough job to walk away from heat.
Its not, it's a reflection of Misson. Personally think this has nothing to do with Ross.

Its not, it's a reflection of Misson. Personally think this has nothing to do with Ross.
You can’t make that call.

We only know we have recurring injuries and Walsh walked from a job that only 17 other people hold in the country.

Which points to him not doing a good enough job to leave after 7 games.

It doesn’t point to mission or Ross or the club doing anything wrong.

I don't reckon it's too dark to raise one's eyebrows when someone jumps at short notice, and ask a few questions. The president did ask us to get on board, but transparency is important.
We've all asked questions... it's the conspiracies about Misson & Lyon that have been amusing to read.

So he should.

RTB is here for 5 years, if he doesn't want someone in the role or they cannot achieve what he wants ... then get someone who can. His first year is the time to get his people in the roles which he wants them to be.

David Mission is acting Head of Football, wouldn't be surprised if he takes over Nick "who" Walsh's job for the rest of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back