Discussion James Gallagher (Head of List Management) set to depart at end of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought James did a little more right thsn wrong. Alison might be a fail. But we don't know who was doing the picking. Keeping the players salaries in check. He obviously did that well.

As we won't get a current list manager it's either SOS or someone untried.

Who Else is out there.? No good current list manager would walk out of their current club, including Cripps.
So....
Just wonder if we could coax Stephen Wells out of Geelong given Andrew Mackie is their list manager?

Just wonder if we could coax Stephen Wells out of Geelong given Andrew Mackie is their list manager?
we got his sidekick last time and that was terrible for us. After his initial contract, he went back to Geelong. Good riddance to him.

We were a whisker away from having gags stay and hunter clark gone (for stuff all).

I'm counting my lucky stars lolnorf turned down gags' idiotic deal and gags is gone and clark isn't.

That maddness +
gags completely missing the boat on even trying to get involved with bowes/pick 7 +
Bending over in the hill trade

... tells me we can do a lot better than him.

He didn't destroy our list or anything, but there is enough evidence to suggest he's only average at best in that role.
The Bowes deal was a farce that was probably all agreed upon months ago. If Gags deserves a rap across the knuckles for that then I suppose 17 list managers do.

As for the Clark deal I'm glad we kept what we have too but it's not a signed sealed win. If Sheezel ends up an elite and the other two just ok then it would have been a good deal for us. Phillipou seems like a great slider though, and hopefully with a new coaching team we can see the best of Clark.

The interesting thing with that deal is North went out and offered a contract to Clark but didn't want to give up anything to get him. I'm really glad we rebuffed their offer of a second and third. Just like their supporters the club wanted something for nothing and I really hope they live to regret it.

If Gags deserves a rap across the knuckles for that then I suppose 17 list managers do.

Gags didn't get to the bridesmaids table, but essendon, hawthorn and the blues did by getting bowes to tour their club.

Like I said- he didn't destroy our list or anything.

But there is ample evidence to suggest he wont be missed.

we got his sidekick last time and that was terrible for us. After his initial contract, he went back to Geelong. Good riddance to him.

I still think he was okay, we did alright for the few years he was there. Stanley, Lynch, Cripps, Stuv, Arno etc. Post that was Trout who had a long run for very little return.

The Bowes deal was a farce that was probably all agreed upon months ago. If Gags deserves a rap across the knuckles for that then I suppose 17 list managers do.

As for the Clark deal I'm glad we kept what we have too but it's not a signed sealed win. If Sheezel ends up an elite and the other two just ok then it would have been a good deal for us. Phillipou seems like a great slider though, and hopefully with a new coaching team we can see the best of Clark.

The interesting thing with that deal is North went out and offered a contract to Clark but didn't want to give up anything to get him. I'm really glad we rebuffed their offer of a second and third. Just like their supporters the club wanted something for nothing and I really hope they live to regret it.
I coudnt see the sense of giving clark up just to move up 6 spots.

SOS is a resounding NO from me.

Prefer Gags. Tried to get talent in, that list got us into finals then couldn't go on with it.
No disaster by any stretch, where as SOS has not delivered anything of note.

Must be a better alternative in the market.

We were a whisker away from having gags stay and hunter clark gone (for stuff all).

I'm counting my lucky stars lolnorf turned down gags' idiotic deal and gags is gone and clark isn't.

That maddness +
gags completely missing the boat on even trying to get involved with bowes/pick 7 +
Bending over in the hill trade

... tells me we can do a lot better than him.

He didn't destroy our list or anything, but there is enough evidence to suggest he's only average at best in that role.
Nonsense.

You can't talk to someone if they don't want to talk to you. We asked - Bowes wasn't interested.

Didn't get the deal he wanted for Clark so Clark stays with a clear rocket to improve or get left behind. And I for one think that's fair enough.

Our list has clearly improved since he arrived in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SOS is a resounding NO from me.

Prefer Gags. Tried to get talent in, that list got us into finals then couldn't go on with it.
No disaster by any stretch, where as SOS has not delivered anything of note.

Must be a better alternative in the market.
I think you’ll find it’s SOS if we fail in luring Cripps from Port.

I think it was purely a case of Clarkson seeing Clark as an under performing, big upside player.
StKilda let it be known that Clark was gettable if the right deal could be done, we wanted 2 picks in the top 10-12 in this years draft

Starvo#4 put it in the pm group very early that Clark was gettable and on mainboard he said many many times that Clark would only go if it was a super deal for us

Last edited:
he said many many times that Clark would only go if it was a super deal for us

Brady rawlings himself confirmed what we had told them was acceptable according to gags.

It was gross.
It was anything but a super deal for us- it was clark for a few spots upgrade on our first round pick.

Last edited:
Didn't get the deal he wanted for Clark

That's the problem.
What he wanted for a contracted clark was terrible.

As for bowes, the job of a list manager is to get a seat at the table.
The fact that he couldn't get us a seat at the table with bowes, when the hawks, bombers and blues could... doesn't exactly scream 'I'm amazing at my job'.

That's the problem.

The fact that he couldn't get us a seat at the table with bowes, when the hawks, bombers and blues could... doesn't exactly scream 'I'm amazing at my job'.
We can all just thank heavens that North saved us from ourselves. The deal put forward was a shocker.

That's the problem.

The fact that Clark is still at St Kilda suggests the opposite - the proposed deal can't have been as bad for as you suggest otherwise North would have jumped at it.

Either that or North thought Clark wasn't worth what the Saints were offering in which case Gallagher was trying to get overs for Clark.

Brady rawlings himself confirmed what we had told them was acceptable according to gags.

It was gross.
It was anything but a super deal for us- it was clark for a few spots upgrade on our first round pick.
No it wasn't. It was Clark and nine for three and a second with some pick swaps, North didn't like it and only wanted Clark and 9 for 3 or it was off. It was off.
Even with a second, it was anything but a good deal in my opinion. Thankfully it was knocked on the head.

Well it doesn't make sense if we had Phillipou at no.2 on our draft list.

Say we had someone else, still reckon Phillipou and Clark > Tsatsas or Wardlow
Phillipou being ranked at #2 on our entire draft board is just a rumour from this board.

Twomey has reported multiple times we were fine with whichever of Tsatas, Phillipou or McKenzie was available at our pick but that ranking was with the knowledge of who was already going to be off the board by Essendon's pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back