Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - JAMES VAN ES!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm guessing your mate doesn't get payed for draft watching then

No but he's pretty good with players coming through the junior pathways, he's pretty across a lot of it, especially the vic kids. It sounds like someone else thought the same thing according to ARR.

I've heard he's one of those kicks who looks a lot better when he's kicking right through the ball.

My mate told me he's a bit iffier when he tries to pull the kick slightly and take something off it.

Kind of like Doogs really.
Of he is not a good kick why would we pick him at 2nd round.
That seems disappointing

No but he's pretty good with players coming through the junior pathways, he's pretty across a lot of it, especially the vic kids. It sounds like someone else thought the same thing according to ARR.
ARR ?

The guy on the West Coast board who is apparently a scout for one of the clubs said he’s got “very poor skills” and the one on the North board who is likewise said to be a scout had this to say about him:

“Biggest problem is I don't think he has a natural feel for the game. As a result, he's played mostly as a genuine KPD lock-down type. He plays it very safe with his disposal and provides very little in rebounding and helping start attacks.

His kicking technique is also odd and he's prone to the odd howler by foot exiting defensive 50.

Worth a later pick due to his athletic traits but he's your classic athlete you'd want to try and turn into a footballer without spending up because the risk is too high”

He’d have to have some decent holes in his game, otherwise a big unit like him- who’s already relatively bulked up- who’s still able to run and jump like he does, would have gone top 10 or 12, maybe much higher. Especially in a draft that was relatively bereft of tall talent.

It is what it is. He’ll definitely have some things that he needs to work on.

Last edited:
Of he is not a good kick why would we pick him at 2nd round.
That seems disappointing

They picked him because they wanted him and thought that another club might pounce first. He's got other tricks, he just isn't a very good kick. Plenty of other Saints have that issue and it can be worked on but that was the knock on him and why he wasn't as highly rated as guys like Hayes and Busslinger. Size wise and athletically he's very good.

It doesn't matter where he was taken now, we just have to maximise the talent he has. Hopefully the club can use Rath to work on his kicking and have BJ and others teach him some gamesmanship.

The guy on the West Coast board who is apparently a scout for one of the clubs said he’s got “very poor skills” and the one on the North board who is likewise said to be a scout had this to say about him:

“Biggest problem is I don't think he has a natural feel for the game. As a result, he's played mostly as a genuine KPD lock-down type. He plays it very safe with his disposal and provides very little in rebounding and helping start attacks.

His kicking technique is also odd and he's prone to the odd howler by foot exiting defensive 50.

Worth a later pick due to his athletic traits but he's your classic athlete you'd want to try and turn into a footballer without spending up because the risk is too high”

He’d have to have some decent holes in his game, otherwise a big unit like him- who’s already relatively bulked up- who’s still able to run and jump like he does would have gone top 10 or 12, maybe much higher.

Hopefully we saw something that they didn't. Jake Carlisle, Harrison Petty and Dougal Howard must have had a their knockers too. All ended up very good backs taken later in the draft. Draft position means very little. It's now up to him to work hard and make something of his opportunity. It sounds like he came to the pathway a bit later than others so could have more development left in him.

They picked him because they wanted him and thought that another club might pounce first. He's got other tricks, he just isn't a very good kick. Plenty of other Saints have that issue and it can be worked on but that was the knock on him and why he wasn't as highly rated as guys like Hayes and Busslinger. Size wise and athletically he's very good.

It doesn't matter where he was taken now, we just have to maximise the talent he has. Hopefully the club can use Rath to work on his kicking and have BJ and others teach him some gamesmanship.

The trouble is when you say “poor kick” it immediately conjures up images of Jayson Daniels, Clint Jones or early Stewie Loewe.

Maybe he fluffs the odd kick however I reckon there’s more than enough there to work with.

Personally not concerned.

yXKI1Jo.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Love the nick, respect for fans of that vintage! Welcome!

I'd say that's a fair call, they'd have to at least not be super confident; but I guess he is seen as a fullback stopper type, not sure of Adams's profile, but just looked at his profile on the club site and they now have him listed as a ruckman, so that tells us something.

Van Es is 197cm and 99kg, at the same time last year Adams was the same height but only 83kg so that tells us something too.
That is very odd. Don't think Adams would have attended a single ruck contest last season.

The trouble is when you say “poor kick” it immediately conjures up images of Jayson Daniels, Clint Jones or early Stewie Loewe.

Maybe he fluffs the off kick however I reckon there’s more than enough there to work with.

yXKI1Jo.gif

The highlights look great, but the thing about highlights is we have no idea how many kicks did not end up this way.

Anyway, as long as he has a clearly defined role that mitigates the risk, kicking is not the most important thing for a lockdown defender. That said, I believe it was his kicking (and it being very effectively exploited by Paul Roos at Sydney by intentionally leaving him free in the backline) that marked the end of Max Hudghton in favour of Zac Dawson.

Maybe he fluffs the off kick however I reckon there’s more than enough there to work with.

yXKI1Jo.gif

I had the same thoughts.
No concerns.

He's a Sydney supporter not saints

Yes it says that: Van Es, who supported Sydney in his older years

I wonder if he swapped from the Saints given the that, plus the pics of him as a young boy in St Kilda gear. I wonder who his parents support?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No wonder you are so bitter toward this Kent of a club.
Their should be an RC for the 80's victims of STKFC.

I recall taking a bit of a sabbatical from footy in the 80s.

I remember watching a lot of F1 and going to the Adelaide GP.

I think i only got to the occasional Richmond/Saints game , because my Dad and Brother barracked for the Tigers.
I think i took up windsurfing because the whole competitive team sport thing just sucked.

The highlights look great, but the thing about highlights is we have no idea how many kicks did not end up this way.

Anyway, as long as he has a clearly defined role that mitigates the risk, kicking is not the most important thing for a lockdown defender. That said, I believe it was his kicking (and it being very effectively exploited by Paul Roos at Sydney by intentionally leaving him free in the backline) that marked the end of Max Hudghton in favour of Zac Dawson.

They never make lowlight videos.

Since we're bumping draftee threads I found this little snippet great from the vfl review:

'There's a really pleasing piece of footage where Jack Bytel got pushed out of the way and Jimmy came up and stood up for him. He threw (the Essendon player) to the ground twice... not condoning putting him to the ground, but I just love seeing a second-gamer sticking up for someone who's been in the system for five years. He's got a that bit of swagger about him, so we can keep looking forward to that.'

Since we're bumping draftee threads I found this little snippet great from the vfl review:

'There's a really pleasing piece of footage where Jack Bytel got pushed out of the way and Jimmy came up and stood up for him. He threw (the Essendon player) to the ground twice... not condoning putting him to the ground, but I just love seeing a second-gamer sticking up for someone who's been in the system for five years. He's got a that bit of swagger about him, so we can keep looking forward to that.'
We need that footage..

Really high on the big Van. I think he has some intangibles that will make him a great prospect. Firstly, he has genuine sticky mits. He just goes up and brings down marks. Secondly, his athleticism is top notch. Has the marking of Buckets Carlisle and the speed of Doug Howard imo.
How did he go on the weekend? I saw low stats, but that’s probably the nature of his role?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back