Preview No Changes vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I was on holiday at the time, with no internet access

darth_vader_06.jpg

of course you were

JJ does not provide ruck relief for Jacobs just relief, JJ cannot ruck to save his life.
That may well be true, but his alleged ruck ability would almost certainly be the club's argument for selecting him if JPod were to be dropped. Same argument holds true for McKernan.

I don't think you can really blame people for wanting LJ in the side when the Crows forward line was stinking it up and he'd been kicking bags of goals in the SANFL.

Also who around here ever rated McKernan?

Petrenko had a purple patch at the start of 2012 and went back to stinking so I'd say your on the money with that one.
The non-selection of LJ & Lyons is interesting - as is the response of the BF posters to their non-selection.

Both players have seemingly exceptional SANFL form behind them and their non-selection appears mystifying to those looking from the outside in - pretty much everyone on BF, including myself. There are two ways that the supporters can view these non-selections.

A - They can bag the selectors for "getting it wrong" and failing to select players who are clearly are in good form. This is the soft option and one which is taken by far too many posters here on BF.
B - They can realise that the selection panel do not make decisions like this lightly and therefore there must be good reason(s) why these players are continually overlooked. Once you accept that these reasons exist, you can try and work out what they are. In LJ's case, it's his work ethic (or lack thereof). In Lyons' it's his lack of endurance & leg speed (and his foot skills aren't the greatest either).

That's not to say that the selectors always get it right. They don't. In particular they are far too happy to continue selecting under-performing senior players, long after their "gold pass" should have expired - Jason Porplyzia's selection in 2013 being a classic example. Rarely are they proven wrong by non-selection of a player who is performing well at SANFL level, but whose game is fundamentally flawed at AFL level.

Was waiting to catch a bus just across the Torrens from Adelaide Oval and I saw 4 guys jump out a plane and parachute into Adelaide Oval. Anyone reckon this may have something to do with AFL? Perhaps Port to celebrate 50k members? Perhaps it was Triggy and co practicing for next week where we will throw him out a plane with a faulty parachute and watch him fall to his death in the middle of Adelaide oval to the eruption of cheers from the crowd?

Sen radio station in melbourne is reporting Dangerfield won't play this weekend.?
Anyone heard anything?
If he does play put him on the wing and not in square with a license to drift down or back . Please let him be a receiver and not only preserve him but give us some drive and run. whats the point of winning all those Gf races if never gets ball in open to run length of ground .

If he does play put him on the wing and not in square with a license to drift down or back . Please let him be a receiver and not only preserve him but give us some drive and run. whats the point of winning all those Gf races if never gets ball in open to run length of ground .

Haha, didn't answer my question one bit but thanks for the reply!

I agree. I've reached the point now where I want us to use Danger's pace and run on the outside. Put M. Crouch and Lyons in the middle to make up the clearances.

Haha, didn't answer my question one bit but thanks for the reply!
To answer your question - he was apparently hobbling on crouches earlier this week after rolling his ankle on Saturday in a marking contest. It's possible a radio caller in Victoria got wind of this and just decided that "Danger is missing this weekend against the Saints" to create a headline.

There's also been talk that he's been carrying a rib injury or even a soft tissue leg injury since the pre-season but nothing confirmed yet, nor will it be confirmed by the club I'd imagine.

He's certainly not been at his best in the first 3 games this year and well below his form over the last two years so he certainly could be carrying an injury, however he's pretty tough so will most likely play on. I don't think our coaching staff can afford to rest him this weekend either with our current outs so my guess is he'll play.

To answer your question - he was apparently hobbling on crouches earlier this week after rolling his ankle on Saturday in a marking contest. It's possible a radio caller in Victoria got wind of this and just decided that "Danger is missing this weekend against the Saints" to create a headline.

There's also been talk that he's been carrying a rib injury or even a soft tissue leg injury since the pre-season but nothing confirmed yet, nor will it be confirmed by the club I'd imagine.

He's certainly not been at his best in the first 3 games this year and well below his form over the last two years so he certainly could be carrying an injury, however he's pretty tough so will most likely play on. I don't think our coaching staff can afford to rest him this weekend either with our current outs so my guess is he'll play.
Club has tried to nurse him through hoping we could carry his injury but now that we are 0-3, no longer worth it. Good source (physio within the club) has whispered he won't play this week and possibly miss 2-3 depending on results. Miss 2, bring him back for round 6 and then Tex is due back round 7 for a tilt at the finals ;)

Club has tried to nurse him through hoping we could carry his injury but now that we are 0-3, no longer worth it. Good source (physio within the club) has whispered he won't play this week and possibly miss 2-3 depending on results. Miss 2, bring him back for round 6 and then Tex is due back round 7 for a tilt at the finals ;)
So what injury is he actually carrying, according to your physio source?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what injury is he actually carrying, according to your physio source?
other than being beat up and bruised....a calf strain. Wasn't helped by his ankle rolling and didn't help him shake the tag in the first 2 rounds. Picked it up during the week after GWS trial.

As for Petrenko... yes I was wrong in stating that he wouldn't get to 50 games. However, all of the criticisms I leveled at his game have been completely validated and most posters here now hold the same opinion that I formed several years ago. Took them time to get there, but once the shine came off the toy they came around eventually.

That said, Pets had already played around 30 games by the time I started to be critical of him. I still don't understand why it took so long for the shine to wear off him (both from a supporters & selection view) given that his flaws have been so obvious for so long.

Stop tarring everyone with the same brush. Many posters myself included have merely asked for judgment to be reserved pending players getting enough of a go to make a proper judgment.

You make bald statements based on no information and sometimes you are lucky enough to be correct.

Yes we like shiny toys, because they are shiny and yet to be tarnished. All toys deserve a go without being discareded whilst still in the packet.

other than being beat up and bruised....a calf strain. Wasn't helped by his ankle rolling and didn't help him shake the tag in the first 2 rounds. Picked it up during the week after GWS trial.
Fair enough, might explain why he wasn't training when I visited AO for the first official Crows training session before round 1 a few weeks back

:drunk:

I don't think you can really blame people for wanting LJ in the side when the Crows forward line was stinking it up and he'd been kicking bags of goals in the SANFL.

Also who around here ever rated McKernan?

Petrenko had a purple patch at the start of 2012 and went back to stinking so I'd say your on the money with that one.

Just about everybody after Rendell called him his greatest ever draft pick.
You can all pretend now you didnt but you know you really did ...

Was waiting to catch a bus just across the Torrens from Adelaide Oval and I saw 4 guys jump out a plane and parachute into Adelaide Oval. Anyone reckon this may have something to do with AFL? Perhaps Port to celebrate 50k members? Perhaps it was Triggy and co practicing for next week where we will throw him out a plane with a faulty parachute and watch him fall to his death in the middle of Adelaide oval to the eruption of cheers from the crowd?

Not funny!

Just about everybody after Rendell called him his greatest ever draft pick.
You can all pretend now you didnt but you know you really did ...

It's not even like he was saying this only after he was drafted.
He was stubborn enough to persist with this idea up until the end ...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/cr...ays-matt-rendell/story-fnelctok-1226494730573
Oct 12 2012
FORMER recruiting boss Matt Rendell says Adelaide could be a better side without Kurt Tippett.
Rendell said the effect of Tippett's departure was overstated and that Shaun McKernan could be a better fit at the goalfront.
"I don't think the Crows will miss a beat without Tippett," said Rendell, who will join Collingwood next month.
"I know people are up in arms and filthy about Kurt going but don't worry about the team, they are still well-placed.
"I've been saying for two years that if McKernan plays in Tippett's spot he might be of more value.
"He won't miss the sitters, he'll kick them (goals) from outside 50 and he'll get the ones on the ground.

For such a genius he sure talked a lot of crap.

Speaking of McKernan, is he expected to play this week? He was out with "concussion" against the Swans but I haven't seen him on any official injury lists.

To go back a page or two about who goes out when our "best 22" players come back, I am going to borrow from my post in the time to rebuild thread and say these guys should play no matter what when fit for the rest of the year:

B Crouch
van Berlo
Sloane
Talia
Walker
Brown
Kerridge
Betts
Jacobs
Douglas
Lynch
Laird
Dangerfield
Smith
Grigg
M Crouch

That's our core for the future. Figure out the rest from there.

To go back a page or two about who goes out when our "best 22" players come back, I am going to borrow from my post in the time to rebuild thread and say these guys should play no matter what when fit for the rest of the year:

B Crouch
van Berlo
Sloane
Talia
Walker
Brown
Kerridge
Betts
Jacobs
Douglas
Lynch
Laird
Dangerfield
Smith
Grigg
M Crouch

That's our core for the future. Figure out the rest from there.
Andy Otten for the 3rd tall in defense, he is going to be an important player for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back