Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting how you describe only the players as grown adults operating in a sporting environment, when that also applies to the AFL. And you also say the AFL is the only group issuing "completely arbitrary punishments", when the players would be doing that as well if they retaliated on the field through summary justice.

And that's basically what it boils down to. You've arbitrarily decided that one group of people (the players) is allowed to enact consequences and take action over speech, but another group of people (the AFL) is not.

If someone called you something offensive, you told him it wasn’t on, he apologizes, you shake hands and move on… isn’t that the ideal scenario for all involved?

Do you need an authority stepping in to issue a punitive punishment?

We are treating words like physical assault, and they are not the same thing.

If someone called you something offensive, you told him it wasn’t on, he apologizes, you shake hands and move on… isn’t that the ideal scenario for all involved?

And what if someone doesn't agree to move on?

If you or I (or a player) can apply judgement to a player for using certain words, and that causes consequences for them, why can't the AFL and by extension the people that run the AFL?

Because their history shows the AFL can’t be trusted with judgement and nuance

They just banned skinfolds FFS.

This is not a sensible and sane organisation

The difference is that one approach allows grown adults to regulate words in the social and/or sporting environment in which they exist.

The other approach is a corrupt governing body ruling over speech and issuing completely arbitrary punishments for this week’s latest thoughtcrime.

And we can adjudicate especially egregious moments by exception without needing specific regulation

For example Will Minson sledging Kane Cornes about his dying son

That s**t obviously over a line without the line needing to be drawn

Wouldn't that apply to all AFL decisions though? Including suspensions for on-field assaults?

Did anyone accept that behaviour? Answerth was slammed when he did it, and Brisbane forced Zorko to apologize the first time it happened.

Everyone accepted it. Zorko and Answerth both weren't suspended.

Was that not enough accountability? Maybe it wasn't. I don't think that's a reason to reduce the penalty in the event of homophobic slurs.

I think that it was enough accountability. Just as a public apology and a fine would be enough for Will Powell too.

Why would we need to know what it is, other than it's homophobic? Surely that tells you which group he should be apologizing to.

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who identify or are perceived as being lesbian, gay or bisexual.

So a homophobic slur could be directed at one group or all 3. Surely you aren't suggesting all 3 groups are the same. If we don't know what the slur was how do we know which group should be offended by it?

Does this apply to other work places? Do you think hate speech or racial slurs should be dealt with by a handshake in those instances? How is that possible if the person delivering the slur actually stands by it and feels the other person is lesser than they are?

Or should we have HR rules and laws that govern against this?

And by your standards the AFL should let racist langauge run rampant as part of the game. No issue if a player drops an n bomb mid game - they'll be sorted out mid game by the opposition.

And I'm sure there was no racist langauge 20 years ago cause it was all sorted out on the field right? Unless times change and what's appropriate changes? And maybe becuase it was legislated by the governing body of the game that its no longer acceptable?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People get offended a lot easier these days, I can’t see why that wouldn’t continue, if you extrapolate that out, you end up with my original statement.
Slippery slope argument - just because slurs aren't acceptable doesn't meant banter won't be.

Slippery slope argument - just because slurs aren't acceptable doesn't meant banter won't be.
That's the whole thing though

When does acceptable banter cross the line into unacceptable slurs? Who decides where the line is, how is it policed and what are the penalties for transgressing?

Does this apply to other work places? Do you think hate speech or racial slurs should be dealt with by a handshake in those instances?

There should be no comparison between AFL and 'other workplaces'.

I reckon if Kevin from accounting bumps Rebecca the receptionist off the ball - he is gonna get more than a week off.

Where is the line though?
What was deemed acceptable 10 years ago, is now not.
As afc979810 said earlier who would have thought 5 years ago weights wouldn’t be allowed to be published anymore, next it will be heights and gender, it’s all getting sanitized.

Where is the line though?
What was deemed acceptable 10 years ago, is now not.
As afc979810 said earlier who would have thought 5 years ago weights wouldn’t be allowed to be published anymore, next it will be heights and gender, it’s all getting sanitized.

First weight - then height. Boy oh boy am I getting cancelled. If I apologize for all the negative things I said about Murphy and Ned's height now - will it stop me getting cancelled in 10 years?

Last edited:

As much as I think the AFL needs to go hard on Racial/Sexual and maybe religious vilification (personally unsure on this one) I agree that skin folds and not showing player weight is a joke.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

As much as I think the AFL needs to go hard on Racial/Sexual and maybe religious vilification (personally unsure on this one) I agree that skin folds and not showing player weight is a joke.

And 10 years from now - the worry is that people will be saying I think the AFL needs to go hard on Weight, Height and Aggressive behavior but suspending a player who celebrate a goal because it makes the opposition feel bad is a joke...

And then 10 years later......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back