Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the Geelong-Richmond fan s**t fights in the main board maked me smile.

Both sets of supporters act like their the king s**t, but realistically they've both had one good period of success in the last five decades.

I might very well get proved wronged here but I wouldn't be shocked if come 2050 neither of those club's have advanced their flag tallies by more than one from what it is today (or even not at all).

Granted, I actually don't ever see our club winning a bunch of flags in one go (but boy I'd love to be proven wrong) but I have full confidence that wel steadily and continually being premiership success to the supporter base every 8-12 years (considerably better than league average).

We've prove that we can consistently compete at the top end of the table more than just about any other team and I don't see any reason that'll stop (we just gotta get through this period).

I’m not a huge Soccer fan but I admit what they did this year was huge. That said Winning an actual WC is much bigger than finishing 4th.
View attachment 1879642
Yeah, I got pretty annoyed with the hype around soccer overshadowing actual world cup wins. The netball was only a week or so afterwards and got next to no attention.

Australia has won world cups in most sports and in comparison, we're so far off the pace in soccer that it's embarrassing.

I’m not a huge Soccer fan but I admit what they did this year was huge. That said Winning an actual WC is much bigger than finishing 4th.
View attachment 1879642

In terms of "moments", the Matildas was easily the biggest of 2023. The whole nation was buzzing. But yes, winning a World Cup is better than finishing 4th. Was just pretty lowkey given the status of ODI cricket and Australia have been there/done that also. Definitely MY moment of 2023 as I watched a lot of the games without worrying too much about results, and saw some pretty epic knocks from Maxwell and Head.

The tillys for me easily. Was overseas when it was all going on and seeing them take the world stage in 'the world game' and seeing aussie fans unite to watch them in all sorts of random places was awesome
I know India made it bloody hard for us to win but Football World cups are so much harder to win with the amount of countries that are so much more invested in it - was a great moment for aussie womens sport

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see how Piastri goes in the next few years. A genuine young talent
He is.
I just hope he is with the right team when the next set of major regulation changes comes in.
History has shown that with major reg changes there is usually someone who makes the big leap that everyone else misses and therefore dominates for a long time.

Last time (introduction of turbo-hybrid engines) it was Mercedes. Only they (and Ferrari) went the long shaft turbo route (picking up colder air for the turbo inlet) and they went constructor 1/2 for years. Mercedes had 50HP over Ferrari who had 100HP over the rest. Except Renault who were another step behind.
Due to the token system it took Honda and others 7 years to close the gap. And even then in 2022 it was Mercedes engine vs. Red Bull chassis. Only in 2023 was there minimal gap/Honda advantage. And RB dominated because Mercedes went the wrong airflow route.

If Oscar is on the team that gets it all right, he could be a multiple champion. Has the talent. If he is in a team that gets it wrong (RB in the Renault turbo-hybrid era) then his career could be Daniel Ricccardo like.

I'm still coming to terms with the manner that Piastri got a seat. Not sure I'll ever get right behind him like DR.

Completely comfortable with how Piastri got into the sport. Not a pay driver and Alpine were stuffing him around because they were hoping to keep Alonso, he did the right thing for himself and his career to backtrack and sign with McLaren instead.

Completely comfortable with how Piastri got into the sport. Not a pay driver and Alpine were stuffing him around because they were hoping to keep Alonso, he did the right thing for himself and his career to backtrack and sign with McLaren instead.

Not all of his own doing and McLaren can suck a fatty but the way it was handled and supposedly set up by Webber is just all kinds of ick as a few Aussie lads.

Not all of his own doing and McLaren can suck a fatty but the way it was handled and supposedly set up by Webber is just all kinds of ick as a few Aussie lads.

You are entitled to your opinion - I do think McLaren were indeed a bit predatory - but if a team refuses to put in writing that you will drive for them in 2023 and the likely option was to only be a reserve driver - then another team comes in with an offer for a full time seat - well, you cannot blame Piastri or Webber for choosing the latter. Would not have been an issue and Oscar would've been an Alpine driver if Alonso didn't play funny games either.

He is.
I just hope he is with the right team when the next set of major regulation changes comes in.
History has shown that with major reg changes there is usually someone who makes the big leap that everyone else misses and therefore dominates for a long time.

Last time (introduction of turbo-hybrid engines) it was Mercedes. Only they (and Ferrari) went the long shaft turbo route (picking up colder air for the turbo inlet) and they went constructor 1/2 for years. Mercedes had 50HP over Ferrari who had 100HP over the rest. Except Renault who were another step behind.
Due to the token system it took Honda and others 7 years to close the gap. And even then in 2022 it was Mercedes engine vs. Red Bull chassis. Only in 2023 was there minimal gap/Honda advantage. And RB dominated because Mercedes went the wrong airflow route.

If Oscar is on the team that gets it all right, he could be a multiple champion. Has the talent. If he is in a team that gets it wrong (RB in the Renault turbo-hybrid era) then his career could be Daniel Ricccardo like.
A post that perfectly encapsulates why many dgaf about F1. Rules and engineers remove 99% of the sport of it.

Love Ricciardo, but he was cooked - he was struggling with that car and deserved the arse. Ricciardo and Piastri have spoken about it in an interview / podcast, that seat was gonna be available to someone, so it may as well be Piastri.

He's warmed into F1 now and actually comes across as a pretty likeable aussie

A post that perfectly encapsulates why many dgaf about F1. Rules and engineers remove 99% of the sport of it.
I guess that just is the sport then, that’s why engineers love it, along with cycling!

I moved back to Perth two years ago, joined an engineering company (as one of the only non engineers), was excited to work around other WA footy fans, but nobody here cares about AFL! 😆

Had a better time explaining AFL to Japanese colleagues showing the 2018 Gf highlights as an intro to the sport.

Rules and engineers are 80% of the sport these days but that's the sport, part man part machine. One team.

used to be closer to 50/50 back in the olden times but now the machine is more important.

As an aside I'd like to see each team have to release all their technical info at the end of each season. This way teams would catch up quicker and you wouldn't get as many dominant eras although strays from the purity of the sport.

Yeah, I got pretty annoyed with the hype around soccer overshadowing actual world cup wins. The netball was only a week or so afterwards and got next to no attention.

Australia has won world cups in most sports and in comparison, we're so far off the pace in soccer that it's embarrassing.
Winning a World Cup in which Australia is a dominant team in a particular sport (cricket/netball) played by a dozen or so nations is not as big as finishing 4th in the world game in which Australia has never been a dominant nation. What the tillies did was amazing, possibly one of Australia’s greatest team sporting achievements.

Winning football world cups is rare for nations which have massive populations compared to Australia and in which the sport is there number one focus.

We are expected to win netball and cricket World Cups or a least feature highly in the tournament but it’s not the case in Football.

Winning a World Cup in which Australia is a dominant team in a particular sport (cricket/netball) played by a dozen or so nations is not as big as finishing 4th in the world game in which Australia has never been a dominant nation. What the tillies did was amazing, possibly one of Australia’s greatest team sporting achievements.

Winning football world cups is rare for nations which have massive populations compared to Australia and in which the sport is there number one focus.

We are expected to win netball and cricket World Cups or a least feature highly in the tournament but it’s not the case in Football.

Similar to how winning gold medals in the pool at the Olympics is expected - but the Boomers winning bronze at the last Olympics was probably more memorable because of what it takes to be the third best team in a world sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back