Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are one or two types of these incidents in every game. What do you think players do when they wrestle - They grapple and push to prove their strength.

I'd be unhappy if an Essendon was suspended for this action.
One or two instances per game of players being given a suplex like that?

No, there are not.

Harvey's been a constant embarrassment to his club and football in general over his whole career.
To compare him to Fletcher is a disgrace no matter who you think is the better player.

Harvey's been a constant embarrassment to his club and football in general over his whole career.
To compare him to Fletcher is a disgrace no matter who you think is the better player.
Think that's fairly harsh...

The flip needs more attention too. Having done Judo for a number of years, the first thing they teach you before anything else is how to break your own fall to help avoid getting winded, causing damage to wrists, shoulders, etc. Picken is lucky he didn't hurt himself from the flip.

The elbow to the throat is another thing altogether. Just how do they determine how forceful the contact is? By which I mean, player A could slap player B in the face with an open hand. No report, perhaps a free kick, nothing more. Player A then applies the exact same amount of force, but uses an elbow instead of an open hand, and applies it to the throat instead of the cheek, and there is potential for serious damage. And while typing this, I am recalling Selwood's slap to the side of Guerra's head that unforunately resulted in a perforated ear drum and extra weeks for the Geelong man, despite it otherwise being on the lower end of the scale for force.

Same here. Ive got Josh Kelly and Jack Crisp on the bench, but it won't cover everyone.

I also have Bartel, but I'm counting on him returning this week. If not, I'm even more screwed.

I have 7 available defenders.

I have 3 available rucks.

I have 8 available forwards.

I have Pendlbury, Kennedy, Stevie J, Fyfe, Beams all in my midfield.

I have no trades.

3 donuts in the midfield this week assuming Crisp and Martin play.

I am shafted.

As far as I know, there's no concrete rule for which band the pick is, it's all discretionary, based on the importance/wages/age/value etc, so it shouldn't be hard for them to make it top-band, they wouldn't even need to visibly tweak or fudge anything. Definitely agree on them being big players in the trade market too.

Problem is, I imagine not many good players want to go there.

Regardless of how much force there was to Pickens' throat it looked like there was a lot. We all know what happens when it's a bad look. If kids think it's okay to do something that looks like that in their footy there could be real problems. Must be punished harshly. Message needs to be sent that it's not acceptable. Harvey should know better as an elder statesman of the game but he has a long history of idiocy on the field.

Regardless of how much force there was to Pickens' throat it looked like there was a lot. We all know what happens when it's a bad look. If kids think it's okay to do something that looks like that in their footy there could be real problems. Must be punished harshly. Message needs to be sent that it's not acceptable. Harvey should know better as an elder statesman of the game but he has a long history of idiocy on the field.

It comes back to my ranting about there needing to be a "dog act" charge where there is no points system, it can just be determined by what either the panel thinks of the dog act, or the tribunal thinks of it. Suplex followed by forceful elbow/forearm on the throat is a dog act. That elbow/forearm is downright dangerous, the potential injuries are very serious.

We were covering choker holds last night in taekwondo. Using that one for 10 seconds can render a man unconscious for over an hour according to my boss

Have to say, it is nice to have one of the more competitive seasons we've seen for a long time across the board, with only a few clubs in limbo. It was brought home with the live ladder they do on Fox Footy during the Dons v Eagles game. Pre-Zaka goal, West Coast were 7th and Essendon 9th. Post-Zaka goal, the Eagles were 11th and the Bombers 7th. Incredible. Oh, and the Eagles fell another spot again that night thanks to Richmond. Amazing.

Yep, I agree the AFL ... would be loathe to give the Dee's a "priority" pick - account of the outrage it would cause to fellow cellar dwellers..
You say that like the AFL give a s**t what any of its members think.

They're absolutely untouchable; a law unto themselves.

They could give Melbourne picks 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 if they wanted, and they'd condition the general public to accept it (or at least that they cannot do anything about it).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think that's fairly harsh...
Yeah way over the top.

I'm not a fan of Harvey because I think he - along with Joel Selwood - is the most selfish and sooky player in the AFL.

But having said that, he's been a very good player for 10+ years, not to mention he'll notch up 400 AFL games next year.

He's a knob, but I wouldn't have minded having him at Essendon.

You say that like the AFL give a s**t what any of its members think.

They're absolutely untouchable; a law unto themselves.

They could give Melbourne picks 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 if they wanted, and they'd condition the general public to accept it (or at least that they cannot do anything about it).
Patrick Smith already saying they deserve a pick.

Looks like it's in the works.

We had the next best thing.

10s_harvey.jpg

Have to say, it is nice to have one of the more competitive seasons we've seen for a long time across the board, with only a few clubs in limbo. It was brought home with the live ladder they do on Fox Footy during the Dons v Eagles game. Pre-Zaka goal, West Coast were 7th and Essendon 9th. Post-Zaka goal, the Eagles were 11th and the Bombers 7th. Incredible. Oh, and the Eagles fell another spot again that night thanks to Richmond. Amazing.
I use this link during games. In a season like this it is amazing how volatile the ladder can be during a game. The info this site gives is pretty good too, points required - etc. Just remember to refresh regularly, it updates fairly quickly. http://www.liveladders.com/AFL/

Yeah way over the top.

I'm not a fan of Harvey because I think he - along with Joel Selwood - is the most selfish and sooky player in the AFL.

But having said that, he's been a very good player for 10+ years, not to mention he'll notch up 400 AFL games next year.

I'm a harsh man for sure, but Boomer brings this s**t on himself.
Not denying he's a great little player but- carrying on like a pork chop every third game has diminished his spot in the pecking order of AFL greats.

I'm a harsh man for sure, but Boomer brings this s**t on himself.
Not denying he's a great little player but- carrying on like a pork chop every third game has diminished his spot in the pecking order of AFL greats.
Has it?

Not that I'm comparing him directly, but Leigh Matthews regularly belted people in brutal fashion. Yet many people who bemoan his thuggery will readily call him the greatest player they've seen in the same breath.

Has it?

Not that I'm comparing him directly, but Leigh Matthews regularly belted people in brutal fashion. Yet many people who bemoan his thuggery will readily call him the greatest player they've seen in the same breath.

If Leigh Matthews took a massive dump, the resulting excrement that washed up in some treatment facility in Werribee would be a better footballer than Brent ****ing Harvey.

No words can suitably convey the absolute sneer directed at the monitor.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back