Offer To Essendon Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Gerard Whateley ‏@GerardWhateley 16m
More
Gill McLachlan was on phone to Ben McDevitt this morning. He says no fresh offer tabled from ASADA through AFL.
Where is this info coming from then... Weird bunch of weeks with Little's comments, Abbott's comments and NRL SCNs. Oh to be a fly on the wall with all the back room bullshit going on

After all the cheating they didn't get done for its ironic that they'll be done for the worst kind.

Continuous flaunting of laws and rules and getting away with it tends to breed complacency and a belief one will never be caught. Then the acts become more brazen, such as in this case the EFC went from Salary Cap fiddling and getting away with it to systematic doping. and now the chickens will come home to roost.

Feel bad for the players. This ain't their fault.

Would've been shocked if ASADA did try and shortcut the court action - maybe Roy was trying to push the Cronulla players into saying yes by suggesting the Bombers might do the same shortly?

I guess we wait on the court case and see if another offer is made

After all the cheating they didn't get done for its ironic that they'll be done for the worst kind.

Continuous flaunting of laws and rules and getting away with it tends to breed complacency and a belief one will never be caught. Then the acts become more brazen, such as in this case the EFC went from Salary Cap fiddling and getting away with it to systematic doping. and now the chickens will come home to roost.

Feel bad for the players. This ain't their fault.

Haha. Awwww...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope that if this is true, and when the crunch time finally happens, the players finally have the willpower to stand alone. They didn't or couldn't when the doping/vitamin/bad governance program happened, and it got them into this mess. So far they have given the club their blessing and followed them along.

Now it's time for them to think about themselves. The club wants no ban, does not want to open itself up to lawsuits, missed revenue, and more penalties from the AFL potentially. For the club, whether six months or two years, the damage will be similar. Of course two years will effect revenue more but it will already be greatly impacted with any ban. The lawsuits will stay similar. Sanctions from AFL similar. Essendon's best move is to go all out to stop it.

The players, though, is different. A six month ban is drastically better than two years. It means missing part of a season, or at worst a full season. 2 years means guaranteed two seasons, two pre seasons. Plus the added time to get back to fitness, game shape and hopefully the game hasn't passed them by. Then factor in the lost income from a two year ban.

They also need to evaluate the clubs claims of 'we don't know what we took', circumstantial evidence, and critically think about whether this means anything according to ASADA, WADA and friends.

Of course if the player want to go along with the club, go for it, but I just hope they are able to make independent decisions about what they will do from here, and live with the consequences.

Well, well, well, what do we have here?
Yet another false untrue media article via The Age.
Just another typical example of this whole damn mess, in an attempt to boost readers of their languishing rag.

other key point is that when the Cronulla players accept their bans shortly (assuming they do) and admit to being injected with PEDs linked to Dank it will strengthen ASADA's case against the Bombers

no deal Bombers, no deal

They either follow the proper procedure or ASADA is a joke.
So if a murder trial goes on forever, I don't think people would like a murderer to walk free just because the public are "over it"!

Again, I wasn't addressing if it's a good move or not, just the attitude outside this forum

Fwiw I don't know how Asada can make this offer, and how wada can support it given their previous comments on the requirements for discounting

If true, it means the win is a bigger priority now than justice

other key point is that when the Cronulla players accept their bans shortly (assuming they do) and admit to being injected with PEDs linked to Dank it will strengthen ASADA's case against the Bombers

no deal Bombers, no deal

And in the NRL case, there are far more players outside the club (or even playing overseas) that are more likely to take the deal. Once one player takes the deal, it makes it very tough for the others in the investigation.

So if one Bomber flips, the rest will struggle. They look quite united at this stage.

Again, I wasn't addressing if it's a good move or not, just the attitude outside this forum

Fwiw I don't know how Asada can make this offer, and how wada can support it given their previous comments on the requirements for discounting

If true, it means the win is a bigger priority now than justice

I agree that many are over it, but conversely many still have a morbid fascination with it and love the drama and the gossip of it all. Hence a thriving board still discussing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back