Offer To Essendon Players

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that many are over it, but conversely many still have a morbid fascination with it and love the drama and the gossip of it all. Hence a thriving board still discussing it.

No argument there, but BF is populated by footy obsessed freaks, we are hardly Representitive of the general public footy fan

I am amazed that a Roy Masters article could generate 7 pages of comment. As far as I can remember he has not got a single thing correct with regard to Essendon in the last 2 years. I am sure he just makes things up to stir the anti-AFL pot
Roy masters very little

Where is this info coming from then... Weird bunch of weeks with Little's comments, Abbott's comments and NRL SCNs. Oh to be a fly on the wall with all the back room bullshit going on
I'd think most likely, Roy was just plain old wrong.

Maybe (I doubt it) it was a hint from ASADA via Roy come talk this offer will be there.

Gerard Whateley‏@GerardWhateley1 hr
McLachlan says there have been historical negotiations between ASADA and Essendon player representatives but nothing fresh tabled with AFL

I'd think most likely, Roy was just plain old wrong.

Maybe (I doubt it) it was a hint from ASADA via Roy come talk this offer will be there.
Whately reporting that Gil has been on the phone with McDevitt but there has been no offer made to Essendon players

So Essendon are either going to back themself in and put the club on black

Or

Essendon do an OJ Simpson & escape penalty due to botched investigation / inadmissible evidence.
If the syringe don't fit you must acquit

If you're an Essendon player you take this deal surely. This could all be over by the start of next season! Don't risk turning 2015 and 2016 into void seasons.

I really hope that if this is true, and when the crunch time finally happens, the players finally have the willpower to stand alone. They didn't or couldn't when the doping/vitamin/bad governance program happened, and it got them into this mess. So far they have given the club their blessing and followed them along.

Now it's time for them to think about themselves. The club wants no ban, does not want to open itself up to lawsuits, missed revenue, and more penalties from the AFL potentially. For the club, whether six months or two years, the damage will be similar. Of course two years will effect revenue more but it will already be greatly impacted with any ban. The lawsuits will stay similar. Sanctions from AFL similar. Essendon's best move is to go all out to stop it.

The players, though, is different. A six month ban is drastically better than two years. It means missing part of a season, or at worst a full season. 2 years means guaranteed two seasons, two pre seasons. Plus the added time to get back to fitness, game shape and hopefully the game hasn't passed them by. Then factor in the lost income from a two year ban.

They also need to evaluate the clubs claims of 'we don't know what we took', circumstantial evidence, and critically think about whether this means anything according to ASADA, WADA and friends.

Of course if the player want to go along with the club, go for it, but I just hope they are able to make independent decisions about what they will do from here, and live with the consequences.

Its not about the two years or the six months, its about the law suits, the players once banned as cheats will not be welcome in the industry, how lance Armstrong doing in cycling?, hows ben johnson going commentating on athletics do you believe that jab Watson will be invited to future brownolow events if he is a convicted drug cheat?

Their immediate and future earnings are the basis of the law suits if even one player gets banned the club will cease to exist as we currently know it, unless of course the club is able to quash any evidence.

Not even the Offfal will protect them in this they have been throw under the bus by Albert.

Bye bye to finals again
Oh please, they're not going to challenge this year. If they somehow win Week 1 they'll be knocked out Week 2. They risk voided seasons when they are actually challenging for the title.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, I wasn't addressing if it's a good move or not, just the attitude outside this forum

Fwiw I don't know how Asada can make this offer, and how wada can support it given their previous comments on the requirements for discounting

If true, it means the win is a bigger priority now than justice

I don't think there is any concrete offer other than what is written in statute.

If you're an Essendon player you take this deal surely. This could all be over by the start of next season! Don't risk turning 2015 and 2016 into void seasons.

How is being labelled a drug cheat for the rest of your life appealing to you when you believe 100% you're innocent?

Someone explain this to me.

How is being labelled a drug cheat for the rest of your life appealing to you when you believe 100% you're innocent?

Someone explain this to me.
If they believe they're innocent they clearly didn't excel at school then. Better to be a drug cheat with a 6 month ban than a drug cheat with a 2 year ban.

I read the article as Masters just having another crack at the AFL, ie, the AFL bullied, took resources away, it will cost you in the end HAHA. He is gloating about what the NRL have negotiated.

Having said that Essendon need to get their s**t together. They are sitting on the verge of contending again and they are fronting up to this crap year on year and eventually they will get wacked by it. Take your medicine and get it over with.

If I were an Essendon supporter I would be furious. There is some massive arse covering going on behind the scenes and it is all being done at the expense of your football club.

This whole thing was created by Dank and the people who employed, empowered and instructed him. Still to this day we do not even know who those people are. WTF is going on at that club that the members allow that to happen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back