Official Delistings So Far

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know how good Ryan Brabazon is? I read he won the Alex Jesaulenko trophy for best on ground in the Reserves Grand Final? Will we see him get a run next year?

Does anyone know how good Ryan Brabazon is? I read he won the Alex Jesaulenko trophy for best on ground in the Reserves Grand Final? Will we see him get a run next year?
With no disrespect to Brabazon or Jesaulenko anyone could win bog in the GF of that mickey mouse league the Swans are using as a breeding ground for future AFL players.We could have the next 3 or 4 number one picks in the national draft and playing them in that league would make them go backwards and they would amount to nothing.Lets be serious the only good thing to come out of playing in the Swans reserves over the last 3 yrs is Barlow.Malceski aside,as he was always going to be a decent AFL player,his development was held back by a knee reco.The sooner the better the Swans get realigned with Port Melbourne in the VFL The sooner we will see the likes of Brabazon and White flourish.For the record Roos never give Simpkin the chance he deserved and even though Schmidt has had a taste of senior footy he can feel hard done by as well because every time he broke into the side his performances were such that his omissons made him look like the scapegoat when Schneider,McVeigh,Davis should have been dropped during the season before him.

Ok with all the conjecture of the 4 delistings thus far if there are going to be more from what I heard it will be announced by the club in the next 24/48 hours or there abouts because of players still holidaying

Hope that helps

With no disrespect to Brabazon or Jesaulenko anyone could win bog in the GF of that mickey mouse league the Swans are using as a breeding ground for future AFL players.We could have the next 3 or 4 number one picks in the national draft and playing them in that league would make them go backwards and they would amount to nothing.Lets be serious the only good thing to come out of playing in the Swans reserves over the last 3 yrs is Barlow.Malceski aside,as he was always going to be a decent AFL player,his development was held back by a knee reco.The sooner the better the Swans get realigned with Port Melbourne in the VFL The sooner we will see the likes of Brabazon and White flourish.

As a team in the VFL will be great, but Port Melbourne? No thanks. Obviously we have some issues with the ACT league right now - our license had expired, but in my opinion, the ACT league allowed much more development than the aligning with Port Melbourne would.

We were only allowed to spend 4 players down and basically have no say where they are going to play or how they are going to coached. For example, we might want to develop White as a replacement for Hall and play in the forward, but Port Melbourne will probably throw him in the ruck. If the Port Melbourne scenario is the same as before, then no thanks. Malceski developed potential as a future captain displaying his leaderships skills watching over a young team - something that he'll never have got if he was at Port Melbourne. The likes of Barlow, Schmidt, Laidlaw or Jack hardly showed that they were going to embarrass themselves in the seniors.

On the other hand, how many players become stars because of their development in Prot Melbourne? Someone like Buchanan got only 6 games in the seniors before being delisted and redrafted. And what will the rest of the players that's not in the seniors do? Do you give game time in Port Melbourne for Crouch to regain his fitness or send a youngster down?

As a team in the VFL, it's fantastic. Port Melbourne? No thanks.

I like Doyle dont get me wrong but how on earth did he manage to survuve the cut when he spends 75% of his life injured?
He got a two year contract last year. We'd still have to pay him even if we delisted him so might as well have him for backup, especially when Currie isn't ready for seniors just yet.

There has been no official word on the staus of Jack, Brennan and Barlow as to whether they will be elevated onto the senior list. I'm pretty sure this has to be finalised prior to October 31 which is the first list lodgement cut off date.

There has been no official word on the staus of Jack, Brennan and Barlow as to whether they will be elevated onto the senior list. I'm pretty sure this has to be finalised prior to October 31 which is the first list lodgement cut off date.

I would really like to see those 3 players playing for the Swans next year on a regular basis so i hope they do get elevated.

He got a two year contract last year. We'd still have to pay him even if we delisted him so might as well have him for backup, especially when Currie isn't ready for seniors just yet.

i don't see how anyone can know whether currie's ready or not....i'd just like to see him get a chance in the pre-season, i understand he has made the most of his 12 months since being drafted, has trained well and is a big, talented kid
having said that, i'm not at all unhappy to know doyle's still with us, if by some freak of nature he survives a preseason and stays upright, he still has plenty to offer us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, if he was playing as a midfielder. But his best position was as a true goalsneak where that disadvantage wouldn't be so profound. Too bad he never really got a real chance at that position. (Remember the 3 posters he had against Richmond)?

The delistings are of no consequence to the future of the footy club this time around....haven't lost anyone of great potential.

In relation to the reserves set up, not sure about the likelyhood of this happening or the ability to make it happen. But with Collingwood going it alone next season in the VFL would it b possible to have a stand alone team play as South Melbourne? Perhaps out of TEAC oval.

In relation to the reserves set up, not sure about the likelyhood of this happening or the ability to make it happen. But with Collingwood going it alone next season in the VFL would it b possible to have a stand alone team play as South Melbourne? Perhaps out of TEAC oval.[/quote]

I think that it has a lot of merit but I can't see this happening due to the logistics and the costs involved in travel to and from Sydney. A pity really:(

They have one. It's even worse than the Canberra league.

There is no NSW league. There is a Sydney league, and numerous leagues in other regional centres. I think what was being referred to is a single league covering the whole NSW/ACT region so that the best talent would get concentrated in a few clubs.

I'm not convinced that the idea is viable. Almost all the players at this level re amateurs and the travelling involved would be not insignificant. I don't think there are many other second tier leagues that aren't concentrated in a small geographic region. The WAFL isn't a WA league, it is a Perth league. Similarly the SANFL is an Adelaide league. Only the VFL extends further than metropolitan Melbourne, with the presence of Ballarat and Tasmania (and Bendigo??)

geelong, north ballarat and bendigo. none of which are all that far from melbourne at all. something really needs to be done with sydneys ressies. its not doing the club any good playing them in that crappy league.

does any body know if sam rowe is staying on next year, and whether he got elevated or staying as a rookie??????

He can't be retained for a third year on the rookie list.

Yes he can. The rules were changed about a year ago to allow clubs to keep third year rookies. Not exactly sure of the rules but I think each club is only allowed one and no more than three second/third year rookies in total.

Clearly there is still action going on sorting out the list. I suspect they're weighing up a couple of the senior listed youngsters against Barlow, Jack, Brennan and Rowe and making some decisions. If they decide to clear space for both Barlow and Jack on the senior list, I reckon they will keep Rowe as a third year rookie. If they can't fit them both on the senior list and one has to stay a rookie, I think Rowe will be cut (but maybe redrafted).

If they knew already that they were going to let Rowe go, they'd have announced it when they said goodbye to Shaw and Smokey.

There will probably be a knock-on effect then with Smith and Matty O given the limit on non-first year rookies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back