2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh wont work as well second time around. Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. The games up McChin. Only the ignorant will fall for it again, I suppose that's most of BF. lol

Except it has worked over and over again. Eddie did the same thing with Brisbane's retention allowance and he also did the same thing with our cost of living allowance.

Except it has worked over and over again. Eddie did the same thing with Brisbane's retention allowance and he also did the same thing with our cost of living allowance.

McChins days are numbered when it comes to people listening. They worked him out with his crap about salary caps pointing the finger directly at BL, his so called equalisation tax n now you have people from other clubs defending the 4 academy's. He'll b!tch n moan like a cheap wh0re but it ain't working like it used to.

I take your point. But I have an aversion to admiring demagogues. :p

I agree.

The real problem is he is demagoging in the seat of the religious power with the full force of his acolytes in the media around him. If you were on Fox Footy would you really run a story denouncing Eddie full on? Going to war with that guy could cost you job prospects if done in any serious way.

So not only does he have the platform and audience in the whole of the traditional AFL states on his side, because who really gives a s**t about NSW be honest, we have the disadvantage of being drowned out in our own state by the myriad of other sports surrounding us never mind the fact that we are the heretic if we travel to preach in any event. We find it hard to get any coverage anyway unless it involve Buddy.

It is truly staggering that Maguire with so much power and market saturation on his side, spreading a populist monochrome argument that is never seriously challenged, to an audience wanting to hear it and wanting to believe it, has not got further in breaking us and all the "advantages" this club apparently has.

It must be embarrassing being him.

I doubt there will be any significant rule changers next season for f/s or academy would be unfair to say no sydney you can get mills after putting all that time and effort into him. Possibly 2 draft picks to get him.

Is this feasible for next year in 2015 trade period. Trade our first round and second round draft picks for a gun young KPD and then use our 3rd and 4th round picks on Mills and Dunkley? Is that within the rules?

Only if no other club bids for them. If another club bids for them we just have to match that bid with a pick in the same round, and it's unlikely that they'll slip to the 3rd or 4th round as Mills is very highly rated. This also assumes that the current Academy bidding system remains the same. While they didn't change it this year, they might well change it next year...

Thanks mate. Does that mean we need another first round pick for Dunkley or can we take him in round 2?

Mills and dunkley I'm sure will both will be in the top 4-10 and will get a bid by a team holding those picks, mostly likely outcome if the rules don't change, we will nab both of them up for our 1st and 2nd draft picks

Nothing we did not really know before but I managed to ask a question on the AFL website to Cal Twomey

As a person heavily involved in the draft and the identification of young players what is your opinion on the AFL Academies for the 4 expansion clubs? Is the system a good one or do you agree with Eddie and a few others that it needs to be scrapped? Also with Callum Mills expected to be even better than Heeney will the pressure only be increased to scrap the academies system?

and this was his answer

Just on the academies for northern clubs, I absolutely think it will be another big story next year, as the Swans will get access to one of the best midfielders in the 2015 draft (Callum Mills) on top of Josh Dunkley under the father-son rule. Expect a few clubs to be unhappy about it. However, also believe the bidding system will be overhauled by the time of next year so clubs pay a fairer price.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-21/chat-live-with-draft-expert-cal-twomey

Nothing we did not really know before but I managed to ask a question on the AFL website to Cal Twomey

and this was his answer

Just on the academies for northern clubs, I absolutely think it will be another big story next year, as the Swans will get access to one of the best midfielders in the 2015 draft (Callum Mills) on top of Josh Dunkley under the father-son rule. Expect a few clubs to be unhappy about it. However, also believe the bidding system will be overhauled by the time of next year so clubs pay a fairer price.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-21/chat-live-with-draft-expert-cal-twomey

Read a 'fair price'. We are screwed

Read a 'fair price'. We are screwed
I agree we are cooked, Gillan has already showed his hand by screwing us with no trades.
They will change access rules to academy and F/S players and prob run the same line as they did with trade ban "this is not a reaction to anything". Fk heads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mills and dunkley I'm sure will both will be in the top 4-10 and will get a bid by a team holding those picks, mostly likely outcome if the rules don't change, we will nab both of them up for our 1st and 2nd draft picks
Mills will be bid on by the number 1 pick holder.

To be honest, even if we get screwed, it will probably be worth it if we get both of them, which it sounds like we will.

Realistically if we have to pay 3 rounds of picks for the two so be it. Worth it, Mills is a dead set freak. Is the best player in the draft probably and his ceiling is massive

Look at the way the club matched every academy bid i thought it showed a statement that we wont let rival clubs pick up players we have developed and invested in.

Mills will be a Swan we will do whatever it takes to get him.

We should let the academy guys go somewhere else and then pick them up later when the "go home" factor kicks in.

Except this 'go home' factor is widely over stated. How many people get drafted by interstate sides and stay at their original clubs. Mills will be a Swan

The AFL will write the rules so that it will be almost impossible to get both Mills and Dunkley if they both continue to develop into top ten players as predicted by Eddie and the Vic media. Is Mills really a potential number one next year?

Just need to hope we don't have to give up our first two picks just for Mills.

The AFL will do something nasty but I think it is far trickier than they thought it would be and that's why it didn't get changed for this year.

The big problem for the AFL is that they want to restrict the Swans but whatever they do to restrict us will also have to apply to Brisbane and their love children GC & GWS.

The AFL will write the rules so that it will be almost impossible to get both Mills and Dunkley if they both continue to develop into top ten players as predicted by Eddie and the Vic media. Is Mills really a potential number one next year?

Just need to hope we don't have to give up our first two picks just for Mills.

The AFL will do something nasty but I think it is far trickier than they thought it would be and that's why it didn't get changed for this year.

The big problem for the AFL is that they want to restrict the Swans but whatever they do to restrict us will also have to apply to Brisbane and their love children GC & GWS.

They could put different restrictions on GWS and GCS than they do us simply because we get acess to players under the father son rule and they wont for many years. They could also change the academy rules without changing the father son rules however that seems very unlikely.

The current head of football appears spineless and has shown he is willing to take orders or wilt under pressure setting a worring trend but I doubt they will change the rules enough to stop us getting both.

To do so they would just open themselves up to legal action after we spent years and considerable resources firstly establishing and then running the academies only for the AFL to burn them to the ground and benefits when they start to work.

From the beginning they should have had strict restrictions on bidding for academy players. For example A draft pick within 6 picks of a bid must be used or obtained during trade week to match a bid.

Of course this alone would dilute the academies value to the point we wouldn't even bother but for example if the AFL would fully fund the academies the much smaller but almost free benefit could be enough to motivate us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back