2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

How are we so popular on AFL.com there is like rehashed Heeney articles everyday.
Click bait. The masses of *s see Sydney and it's like red rags to a bull. They all click the link, don't bother reading the article and spew Eddieisms. I just gave up explaining the purpose of the academies in building developmental pathways in NSW and QLD that otherwise wouldn't exist. After a few hours and a ******* that couldn't get Heeney's talent wouldn't exist without the academy he finished with some rubbish about Sydney should be happy with the development in NSW without expecting a return on their 1m they sink into the academy each year. He clearly missed the part where THERE'D BE NO ******* DEVELOPMENT IF NOT FOR THE ACADEMY!!!!!

Click bait. The masses of ******s see Sydney and it's like red rags to a bull. They all click the link, don't bother reading the article and spew Eddieisms. I just gave up explaining the purpose of the academies in building developmental pathways in NSW and QLD that otherwise wouldn't exist. After a few hours and a ******* that couldn't get Heeney's talent wouldn't exist without the academy he finished with some rubbish about Sydney should be happy with the development in NSW without expecting a return on their 1m they sink into the academy each year. He clearly missed the part where THERE'D BE NO ******* DEVELOPMENT IF NOT FOR THE ACADEMY!!!!!

I think you're spot on and it isn't confined to footy either, the quality of journalism has declined steadily as 'traditional' media now has to compete with the Internet for our attention. They only care about getting page views these days to boost their advertising revenue, and the easiest way to do that is to give people something to be outraged about. Unfortunately for us that something happens to be the academies. It's not really a conspiracy, it's just the way it is now. Only solution is to not succumb to the click bait and read the articles you choose to read.

Click bait. The masses of ******s see Sydney and it's like red rags to a bull. They all click the link, don't bother reading the article and spew Eddieisms. I just gave up explaining the purpose of the academies in building developmental pathways in NSW and QLD that otherwise wouldn't exist. After a few hours and a ******* that couldn't get Heeney's talent wouldn't exist without the academy he finished with some rubbish about Sydney should be happy with the development in NSW without expecting a return on their 1m they sink into the academy each year. He clearly missed the part where THERE'D BE NO ******* DEVELOPMENT IF NOT FOR THE ACADEMY!!!!!

Honestly i just think its funny the club will be loving all the publicity.

Noticed something alarming on another chat site regarding the value of our points needed to bid for academy and F-S players.

With Free Agency compensation picks added to the ND order, the value of our picks will be diluted. Take last year for example, Melbourne got pick 3 for Frawley (a complete joke of course) which pushed our pick 17 (1025 points) out to pick 18 (985 points), and the devaluing of your original picks gets worse the further out in the draft you get as more compo picks have been pushed in before your picks.

This might not seem much of an impost but when you are scrounging every point you can find to "pay" for a player, the last thing you need is for your original picks to be devalued by Free Agency compo picks.

It also gives clubs receiving generous compo picks more chance to push up how much you have to pay for the player you want. Say the 2014 ND had the proposed new system in place. Would Melbourne have bid pick 2 on Heeney knowing we may pass as the price was too high? They may have done also having Pick 3 in their pocket to get Petracca but probably wouldn't have if they just had pick 2.

So the Free Agency compo picks are a very real danger to what is being proposed for the academy and F-S bidding. Remember also that there will be more and more players using Free agency so more and mre compo picks will be diluting the original value of picks. A very unfair playing field!

this is what I said earlier about teams playing silly buggers with the bidding system, under the new rules. Man, this is going to bite Fat Eddie on the ass some day..hopefully soon.

Things I will never fathom is why do I engage in discussing anything swans relates on the main board.

Arguments are either not backed by facts, ignore facts or purely indecipherable.

Maybe I am a sadist.
No people just hate us. Despite the Tippett money was being spent on a retired forward by the name of Brayshaw.

Sigh, I do like different perspectives however. Don't mind being shouted down if wrong with facts
The academy debate kills me. I want NSW to be a good footy-producing state. If the league guts the best development system the AFL has had here in the last decade and a half to appease morons like Gordon and Eddie...

It would be annoying.

The academy debate kills me. I want NSW to be a good footy-producing state. If the league guts the best development system the AFL has had here in the last decade and a half to appease morons like Gordon and Eddie...

It would be annoying.
I do think the old system was a bit average and I want to like the new one but the scaling and numbers should be lower. Until the academies (all of them) produce 2-3 first rounders and 2-3 second rounders then they shouldn't get bidded on early. But until then, they need club incentive.

Things I will never fathom is why do I engage in discussing anything swans relates on the main board.

Arguments are either not backed by facts, ignore facts or purely indecipherable.

Maybe I am a sadist.

What a majority want is for us to keep funding the academies from our pockets (costs us 1.2m PA) but not be allowed any incentive or have priority on any talent coming through so essentially develop talent for other clubs to cherry pick for the "good of the game"

I've read mostly from Swans supporters that Roos bidding pick 2 on Heeney was a political move unless he really valued Heeney over local boys Petrenka and McCartin.

Does anyone agree with that? or did he really rate Heeney that highly?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a majority want is for us to keep funding the academies from our pockets (costs us 1.2m PA) but not be allowed any incentive or have priority on any talent coming through so essentially develop talent for other clubs to cherry pick for the "good of the game"

I've read mostly from Swans supporters that Roos bidding pick 2 on Heeney was a political move unless he really valued Heeney over local boys Petrenka and McCartin.

Hell if the academies were opened up or afl took over funding, be fine with it. We are not owned by the state league. So yeah.

But Heeney was both political and talent. Maybe pick 4-7 IMO

Hell if the academies were opened up or afl took over funding, be fine with it. We are not owned by the state league. So yeah.

But Heeney was both political and talent. Maybe pick 4-7 IMO

Yer GWS bidding at 4 wouldn't of looked as bad as Melbourne bidding at 2.

I think the proposed bidding changes will go through but AFL wont get involved in funding or taking over the academies thats what i gathered from the last article looks like Gil acknowledges that some incentive must exist for northern clubs to continue investing in academies.

I think the proposed bidding changes will go through but AFL wont get involved in funding or taking over the academies thats what i gathered from the last article looks like Gil acknowledges that some incentive must exist for northern clubs to continue investing in academies.

There is also the ingrained sporting culture. Eg pathways for NRL and the expectation that leads to

Look at Melbourne bidding pick 2 logically.
1. They were never going to actually get Heeney with pick 2 so it was a free shot to provide stronger evidence that the academy system is flawed and that there must be change to restrict the Swans getting cheap picks.
2. If the 2014 draft was done under the new rules there was every possibility that the Swans may have not met the asking price for Heeney knowing they had Mills and Dunkley this year to consider.
3. If that was the case, why would Melbourne pass over local draftees Petracca and Brayshaw to pick Heeney who is red and white through and through and could play the homesickness card after two years? They wouldn't have, that's why bidding pick 2 was humbug by Roos.
4. The most likely early bidder for Heeney would have been GWS at pick 4.

If that had been the case then Swans would still have got a steal but it wouldn't look anywhere near as juicy for Maguire's anti academy lobby. But then again the academies are evil, I heard Maguire say that our academy will destroy the AFL - it must be a sinister thing to be wiped out of existence!

quite honest. The bidding changes. The clubs looked at them all screwed up their faces and said 'what the heck'. Nobody really understands them. They are so complicated. It would be easier to just use a system of losing picks for every Academy pick you have. So next year we lose pick one and two would be simpler than the way it is at the moment. All these points are useless and deliberately there to stop us from drafting from the Academy we fund! AFL fund the bloody thing of heck off!!!

quite honest. The bidding changes. The clubs looked at them all screwed up their faces and said 'what the ****'. Nobody really understands them. They are so complicated. It would be easier to just use a system of losing picks for every Academy pick you have. So next year we lose pick one and two would be simpler than the way it is at the moment. All these points are useless and deliberately there to stop us from drafting from the Academy we fund! AFL fund the bloody thing of **** off!!!

Of course that was the intention its a system brought in to have a 2 year effect, they know they can't forcefully stop us from getting Heeney, Mills and Dunkely but they will make us pay heavily for them.

Not surprised Gordon has given his approval for the system :rolleyes: i mean they could of disguised it better but its pretty obvious whats at play here.

im sick of the knee.jerk reactions from the afl. they should have planned it better from the get go rather than bringing in rules in a reactionary manner.

the swans funded the academy on the basis that we could secure talent in the same way father sons are selected.

you can't just go on letting a club invest resources into a project and then flip the rules when they hard work and effort finally starts paying off.

that's like allowing someone to invest in property, and then when house prices start rising you turn around and say, wait, you're going to make 100k off that property, in fairness to other investors, we should tax 80% of your profit because we dont think making 100k off your investment is fair.

its bullshit that theyre going to introduce different rules when there are some talented kids on the horizon. fair enough if they say from 2018, these will be the rules, but you cant go introducing rules retrospectively. particularly when other stakeholders are funding them with benefits that had already been agreed on when the academies were created.

shits me

Of course they can introduce retrospective rules. The AFL don't know how to react to criticism any other way...our Trade Ban is a prime example.

AFL have not gone on the offensive at all about a critical plan in the expansion of the sport. A responsibility they handed over to the northern clubs because they utterly bolloxed it up decades ago by arrogantly assuming that AFL was so great NSW & QLD kids would flock to the promised land. Appalling lack of understanding of the issues we face.

Look at Melbourne bidding pick 2 logically.
1. They were never going to actually get Heeney with pick 2 so it was a free shot to provide stronger evidence that the academy system is flawed and that there must be change to restrict the Swans getting cheap picks.
2. If the 2014 draft was done under the new rules there was every possibility that the Swans may have not met the asking price for Heeney knowing they had Mills and Dunkley this year to consider.
3. If that was the case, why would Melbourne pass over local draftees Petracca and Brayshaw to pick Heeney who is red and white through and through and could play the homesickness card after two years? They wouldn't have, that's why bidding pick 2 was humbug by Roos.
4. The most likely early bidder for Heeney would have been GWS at pick 4.

If that had been the case then Swans would still have got a steal but it wouldn't look anywhere near as juicy for Maguire's anti academy lobby. But then again the academies are evil, I heard Maguire say that our academy will destroy the AFL - it must be a sinister thing to be wiped out of existence!
No, I disagree with this. And I'll step through my logic on this too:
1. Melbourne have been crying out for quality midfield talent for a number of years
2. They have Hogan ready to debut as a power forward this year
3. At the time of the F/S and Academy bidding, it was still expected that Petracca would go P1 to the Saints
4. Melbourne didn't 'need' McCartin as much as midfield talent
5. Roos has had plenty of exposure to Heeney
6. Melbourne bid P2 on Heeney hoping to get him and Brayshaw at P3 to double down on the midfield

The key point here is the timing of the bidding. At that stage, Melbourne didn't really expect to get Petracca.

I genuinely believe that Melbourne would have loved to get Heeney at P2.

No, I disagree with this. And I'll step through my logic on this too:
1. Melbourne have been crying out for quality midfield talent for a number of years
2. They have Hogan ready to debut as a power forward this year
3. At the time of the F/S and Academy bidding, it was still expected that Petracca would go P1 to the Saints
4. Melbourne didn't 'need' McCartin as much as midfield talent
5. Roos has had plenty of exposure to Heeney
6. Melbourne bid P2 on Heeney hoping to get him and Brayshaw at P3 to double down on the midfield

The key point here is the timing of the bidding. At that stage, Melbourne didn't really expect to get Petracca.

I genuinely believe that Melbourne would have loved to get Heeney at P2.

Fair enough mate when looking at it from your club pov :)

Not sure about how good the Journos contacts are but

"Wherever the Swans finish this season, and whatever comes of the proposed changes to the academy bidding process, you can be assured Mills will be wearing red and white in 2016"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-21/names-from-the-north

I think he is trying to gee up eddie, so the equalisation committee bans us from the draft and especially f/s and academy until we loose either COLA or buddy/tippo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back