Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically, Coffee is a drug, if we're getting into the nuts and bolts of the definition of the term.
Yeah but coffee doesn't change your personali........................wait a minute..........

I don't know about that figure.
It's easy to say you've had a drink but some may not care to share info in respect to the use of illicit substances.
I'm not sure whether I know one person that hasn't at least tried something......once.
Of course it's not something you care to raise at every opportunity but that would figure would surprise me...........unless you're taking into account babies to teen years and pensioners.

Off topic: Was on a photo shoot recently and the owner of the care home told us that they have a problem with the oldies engaging in orgies...:eek:
Definitely a possibility... although I suspect that the study was anonymous so more likely to be accurate... but there is definitely a history of under-reporting in studies that use self-reporting (which I presume this part was). Doesn't negate the other figures though...

The age range was people 14 years or older.

Definitely a possibility... although I suspect that the study was anonymous so more likely to be accurate... but there is definitely a history of under-reporting in studies that use self-reporting (which I presume this part was). Doesn't negate the other figures though...

The age range was people 14 years or older.

It may be a problem for the community but it's great for money circulation..........There may be a problem in that.

So, I went and found the study...

Link

My figures on individual drug-use were an 'in the last 12 months' figures, not 'over lifetime' figure. The 'over lifetime' figure for marijuana is 35% of the population, ecstasy 10%, cocaine and amphetamine 7%.

The total use of all drugs is approximately 40% over lifetime, thus leaving 60% of people as non-users... supposedly...

Perhaps this says more about your associates HARKER :p

So, I went and found the study...

Link

My figures on individual drug-use were an 'in the last 12 months' figures, not 'over lifetime' figure. The 'over lifetime' figure for marijuana is 35% of the population, ecstasy 10%, cocaine and amphetamine 7%.

The total use of all drugs is approximately 40% over lifetime, thus leaving 60% of people as non-users... supposedly...

Perhaps this says more about your associates HARKER :p

I admire people that have made a decision not to put poisons into their body.
I'd be happier should that number be 1% and not 40% but it does surprise me.

I doubt there would be too many 20year olds in Australia today that have never tried anything. I'd love to be wrong though

I think you're probably right about under-reporting... irrespective of anonymity, people are less likely to be honest around illicit drug use.

That being said, while I might find it more difficult to name people of my generation who haven't dabbled (I'm 41), I suspect that in my parent's generation it would be far more normal to not have. Mind you, my wife, and I suspect her entire friendship group have probably never tried anything illicit... love the booze though!

Last edited:
I admire people that have made a decision not to put poisons into their body.
I'd be happier should that number be 1% and not 40% but it does surprise me.

I doubt there would be too many 20year olds in Australia today that have never tried anything. I'd love to be wrong though
I've only tried alcohol and I'm 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hang around with people who have tried stuff and my cousin who I don't hang around with has probably tried everything you can think of.

Grew up with many illicit substances around me - never tried one, never plan on it either. I saw what they did to people.

Same.
Can put my hand on heart and say that I have never taken any illicit substances. Never even had a joint.
Never really seen the point to be honest.

My best friend has two daughters who are both over 18 and they don't drink because of their dad, who was an alcoholic. Their mother drinks but not heavily. I think the oldest one has tried dope but didn't like it.

I wouldn't be sending Tom off to Thailand for rehab, too easy for friends to join him there.

I think that substance abuse depends on the type of personality you have... if you have an addictive personality, then it is quite possibly that if you get started on illicit substances or even legal substances, then you might find yourself addicted to them.

If you have a non-addictive personality, you can try something and walk away!

In much happier news today, Roughead's surgery was successful and they managed to successfully remove the entire rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back