Oldest playing group 2009 ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe I heard that Adelaide will now have 29 players under 21 ish by the time of the draft, they were very old they have done there cleaning

i would suggest probably sydney

In 2008 the top 4 were (in order) Freo, St Kilda, Sydney, Adelaide. The Crows held the title in 2006 & 2007, but reduced their average age by over a year with a large cleanout at the end of 2007.

Freo have had a large cleanout, with most of the departing players being at the older end of the age spectrum. You'd expect them to fall well down the overall list.

St Kilda have lost Harvey and Gehrig, but appear likely to draft Cousins and Carroll. Drafting this pair, together with the natural aging of the remaining players, may possibly result in an overall increase in St Kilda's average age.

Sydney were about 66 days younger than St Kilda on average in 2008. Peter Everitt is the only significantly senior departure. There is a VERY good chance that the Swans average age will increase in 2009.

Adelaide were a healthy 177 days younger than Sydney on average. The departures of Bassett, Biglands and Massie should see Adelaide's average age drop further. The Crows will have 18 players under 22 years of age as of 1/1/09, which is a far better state of affairs than what Neil Craig inherited in 2004 when they had just one solitary teenager on the list (Fergus Watts).

The oldest playing group will almost certainly be either Sydney or St Kilda, with the final result likely to be decided by St Kilda's drafting decisions. Take one (or neither) of Cousins & Carroll and they will fall behind Sydney. Take both and it's line-ball.

:mad::mad: I hate all this younger and older crap... Supports use it as a badge of honor. I would rather have an older Adam Goodes in my team than a young Daniel Wells... So does that mean I have a lower chance of winning a flag or potential one in the near future? NO IT DOESN’T
There are so many more factor than just age!

Why is it so healthy to be an average 6 months younger?

At the end of 2007 Adelaide had a list which was unhealthily lopsided. We had something like 7 players aged 30+ and very few decent players in the 25-30 band. They needed to do something about it urgently or face losing 3/4 of the best 22 in a 2-year window. Not exactly a desirable outcome.

The Crows had to do something about it and they did, with 9 changes to the senior list including the introduction of 7 players aged 18 or younger. While none of them made their mark in 2008, a couple of them look set to do so in 2009.

"Healthy" was probably not the best word to use there. 177 days is a significant margin, meaning that it is unlikely for the Crows to overtake Sydney and once again become the oldest playing group next year.

:mad::mad: I hate all this younger and older crap... Supports use it as a badge of honor. I would rather have an older Adam Goodes in my team than a young Daniel Wells... So does that mean I have a lower chance of winning a flag or potential one in the near future? NO IT DOESN’T TOOL BAGS!
There are so many more factor than just age!

It's A statistic, one which is commonly used to indicate the state of a team's playing list. Sydney showed in 2005 that you can win a flag with an old list. West Coast (2006) and Hawthorn (2008) showed that you can do it with a young list.

I'm not saying it's the be-all and end-all of statistics. I just answered the question posed by the OP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide is obviously the oldest list in the league. And there is no youth at all in the team. I don't think we have a player under the age of 24, and those that are, have no talent.

Van Berlo d.o.b 6/6/86. He has no talent? :confused:

I await the Van Berlo fan club comments on his "no talent" as you put it.;)

Hah, go thru your list and you will see there are a few more under 24 "no talent" as you call them.

Van Berlo d.o.b 6/6/86. He has no talent? :confused:

I await the Van Berlo fan club comments on his "no talent" as you put it.;)

Hah, go thru your list and you will see there are a few more under 24 "no talent" as you call them.

You couldn't detect the sarcasm in his post? :eek:

I just went through club by club and am surprised at where some teams are ranked.
From oldest to youngest.
Sydney
Fremantle
St Kilda
Geelong
Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Richmond
Brisbane
North Melbourne
Collingwood
Carlton
Essendon
West Coast
Melbourne

I just went through club by club and am surprised at where some teams are ranked.
From oldest to youngest.
Sydney
Fremantle
St Kilda
Geelong
Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Richmond
Brisbane
North Melbourne
Collingwood
Carlton
Essendon
West Coast
Melbourne

Is that based on current lists? Port and Freo both have about 7 or 8 empty spots. If they fill those with 18 year olds it could change the list quite dramatically.

Surely Freo can't still be near the top of that list?

It all depends how you work it out too. Our oldest player will be 28, while a lot of other clubs have multiple players 30+. People get way too caught up with age - it's more relevant how players are playing than how old they are.

While it isnt that accurate here is the averages ages for Round 22 this year for all teams aswell as the average amount of games per player.

1. Brisbane - 23yr 7mth (Average 60.3 games)
2. Carlton - 22yr 9mth (Average 56.5 games)
3. West Coast - 23yr 7mth (Average 59.9 games)
4. Collingwood - 23yr 8mth (Average 63.6 games)
5. Essendon - 23yr 10mth (Averaged 68.2 games)
6. Hawthorn - 24yr 0mth (Average 74.4 games)
7. Richmond - 24yr 2mth (Average 78.2 games)
8. Fremantle - 24yr 4mth (Average 67.5 games)
9. Port Adelaide - 24yr 5mth (Average 69.5 games)
10. Melbourne - 24yr 7mth (Average 83.1 games)
11. North Melbourne - 25yr 3mth (Average 95.6 games)
12. Geelong - 25yr 4mth (Average 94 games)
13. Western Bulldogs - 25yr 4mth (Averaged 98.7 games)
14. Adelaide - 25yr 9mth (Average 89.4 games)
15. St Kilda - 25yr 11mth (Average 98.7 games)
16. Sydney - 26yr 1mth (Average 107 games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back