Hawthorn to play finals in 2024?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if the Hawks will play 2 ruckmen this year.

Apparently they have done so for the past 20 years, so I’m told it will always be.
They had, and they did.

Now they won’t. Hope this helps.

I'm a little bit confused which thread will be the "go to" this year for all the trolls and hard-headed Hawf masochists
We currently have 3 threads getting continually bumped on the Main Board.
  • Hawthorn to play finals in 2024?
  • Who will be better in 2024? Hawthorn or Essendon?
  • Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?
It seems a little excessive. The content is basically the same in all three.
Maybe the mods could merge them all into one giant HAWFORN MEGATHREAD

Good idea. It can become an echo chamber for the same few Hawthorn and non-Hawthorn posters to throw their handbags in.

We are talented rather than good. Will be the same as the past few years, get some surprise wins against some good teams. I'd rather not make finals if it means we aren't trying to be a contender in the long run, the finals treadmill of mediocrity isn't that fun, I grew up with that.

There's a lot of Hawthorn jealous in here. I think many still haven't recovered from that 3-peat in the 2010's.

No injury to any of Lewis, Chol, Sicily, Reeves, and keeping at least 3 of Nash/Day/Worpel/Newcombe on the field and we are good enough.

Badly lack depth at KPP, and our outside run is lacking. Our best-22 is ok though.

Kevin Nash would win the Brownlow....

If he didn't, he'd powerbomb every umpire!

Would be more injury prone than Scott Gumbleton.

Last off-season, head of football Rob McCartney said we'd take some time to find out feet but would improve in the second half of the season. That's exactly what happened.

On a recent podcast he said this season the biggest aim is to be in games for far longer, at least giving ourselves the chance of more victories.

That's enough for me. If we can win 8 games and improve the percentage to around 90 then we're clearly on the right track.

this is a very interesting assessment.

I've put it out there and I stand by it. Maybe I'll be right, maybe I'll be wrong. Not really concerned with that aspect.

But I am confident in saying Hawthorn do not have the foundation of a premiership contending side currently on their list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've put it out there and I stand by it. Maybe I'll be right, maybe I'll be wrong. Not really concerned with that aspect.

But I am confident in saying Hawthorn do not have the foundation of a premiership contending side currently on their list.
Can we have a wager Chad

Your account v my account, depending who finishes higher between Hawks and North this year

Can we have a wager Chad

Your account v my account, depending who finishes higher between Hawks and North this year

No. My account is worth more than yours. 2021? Ew.

Also... I've essentially already got real money riding that very scenario at Sportsbet. I've posted about it in this thread but a mod keeps deleting it saying we can't talk about gambling here.

But Hawks under 8.5 into North over 5.5 for a nice tidy little pay day should it eventuate. :)

No. My account is worth more than yours. 2021? Ew.

Also... I've essentially already got real money riding that very scenario at Sportsbet. I've posted about it in this thread but a mod keeps deleting it saying we can't talk about gambling here.

But Hawks under 8.5 into North over 5.5 for a nice tidy little pay day should it eventuate. :)

But that bet doesn't cover that scenario at all?

North could finish on 6 wins and Hawks could finish on 8 and you'd come out a winner. You'd still lose out on the bet against Smish.

If you had conviction you would stake it.

do it jewish GIF

North could finish on 6 wins and Hawks could finish on 8...

Could, but most likely won't. If you believe Hawthorn are a bottom 4 team, as I do, then their schedule for 2024 is actually really nasty. Not a lot of likely wins on the fixture in my humble opinion. In fact, I'll demonstrate...

Below is how I project the season for both teams. I assume you'll disagree and that's fine. Regardless, a few notes for my projections;
  • Even though I have NMFC as better than Hawthorn, I have us splitting the games. But obviously if North sweeps Hawthorn, or vice versa, that's a big swing in W/L totals for both teams.
  • This only projects what I personally consider to be likely wins, and doesn't account for upsets (such as NMFC or Hawthorn beating teams when they play them in Tassie, etc)
  • I'm not claiming this as a scientific process that will eventuate. Just explaining my subjective opinion of where both teams are at in the course of their rebuilds etc.

WIN/LOSS projections - projected wins in bold

NMFC:

at GWS
vs FRE
vs CAR
vs BRIS (SA)
at GEE
vs HAW
vs ADL (TAS)
at STK
at GCS (NT)
at ESS