KISS to play at the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

A mate of mine got so pissed he fell asleep and missed even going to a Simply Red concert back in the early 90s back when they were big.

The best gig I saw when I was living in the States was The Church at the Belly Up Tavern in San Diego.

A much better venue to see bands live than at a festival and they blew the roof off the joint, especially when they played Tantalized.

Call me an old boomer but some of the newer rock bands can't hold a candle to some of the older rock bands when it comes to playing live.

And there’s the point… none of them can hold a candle to bands like kiss, the stones, Springsteen, def Leppard etc and that’s why they keep coming back because there’s no one to fill stadiums anymore

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don’t be a negative Nelly all your life ..

No no no …old meat was completely off his chops after taking prescription pills and injecting battery acid.

Paul and Gene and the other two are clean skins so there will be no issues with the singing and playing

I was wrong, Kiss were brilliant. I'm not a fan of theirs but that's probably as good as it gets for GF entertainment.

That KISS show now is the yardstick for pregame gf entertainment.

No more holy grails and thoughtful melodies that make punters want to fall asleep.

Rock n roll bands is what it should be every year.

Pay the fee and get Metallica next year.

Exxxxitt light !

People keep calling for more modern music acts but then we get the likes of Tones and I or Ed Sheeran who were both woeful and boring.

There are some good modern bands around like Alt-J or Foals but the AFL probably wouldn't even know them let alone be able to get them.

I wonder what Dil’s musical taste is like… :think:

He is a big fan of KISS apparently so expect more boomer style rock bands to play at future GFs under his watch.

I'm sure the AFL would love to get The Rolling Stones to play at a GF if they could afford them.

And there’s the point… none of them can hold a candle to bands like kiss, the stones, Springsteen, def Leppard etc and that’s why they keep coming back because there’s no one to fill stadiums anymore

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You would be hard pressed to name a music icon now all the music sounds the same, is there a Eddie Van Halen or a vocalist like Ronnie James Dio out there.

People keep calling for more modern music acts but then we get the likes of Tones and I or Ed Sheeran who were both woeful.

There are some good modern bands around like Alt-J or Foals but the AFL probably wouldn't even know them let alone be able to get them.

He is a big fan of KISS apparently so expect more boomer style rock bands to play at future GFs under his watch.

I'm sure the AFL would love to get The Rolling Stones to play at a GF if they could afford them.
I love ‘em but the stones days are over now without Charlie Watts.

Call me an old boomer but some of the newer rock bands can't hold a candle to some of the older rock bands when it comes to playing live.
I'm not neccessarily a fan of these bands, but there would be quite a lot of current day bands who would thrive in this environment, such as:
  • Foo Fighters
  • Oasis
  • RHCP
  • The Killers
  • The White Stripes
  • The Arctic Monkeys
  • Green Day
The list goes on and on.

These bands possess a well known catalogue and are quality performers on big stages. Of course, they don't come cheap...

Ideally, you probably need bands that have well known hits from at least 20 years ago.

Didn’t think Kiss were that great or that bad.

I mean they just stand there lip syncing and doing their thing… it’s pretty hard to be stunning or awful.

I think it was pre-recorded live vocals, which is passable. But yeh i do see your point. I think it showed that a good rock show seems to work the best though or at least something high energy, Kiss was a good choice. The Killers were probably the best i've seen at a half time show, which i wasn't expecting.

A mate of mine got so pissed he fell asleep and missed even going to a Simply Red concert back in the early 90s back when they were big.

The best gig I saw when I was living in the States was The Church at the Belly Up Tavern in San Diego.

A much better venue to see bands live than at a festival and they blew the roof off the joint, especially when they played Tantalized.

Agreed. I saw The Church a few months ago and they were great (I hadn't seen them since 1990/91)

KISS should have played post match entertainment. The pyro and the atmosphere at night would have matched their style.
Have they done that since The Killers?

It was so great going to that concert after the game in 2017 and the whole thing was done in darkness.

They let people in for free after the game for it too, there was massive lines out of the stadium of people trying to get in after the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was pre-recorded live vocals, which is passable. But yeh i do see your point. I think it showed that a good rock show seems to work the best though or at least something high energy, Kiss was a good choice. The Killers were probably the best i've seen at a half time show, which i wasn't expecting.

Kiss have a couple of good singalongs but really, don’t have the songs to lift the roof. They try to make up for it with fire and fireworks… if that’s your thing that’s fine, I dunno… I’ve heard some people say they were awesome today… meh

I'm not neccessarily a fan of these bands, but there would be quite a lot of current day bands who would thrive in this environment, such as:
  • Foo Fighters
  • Oasis
  • RHCP
  • The Killers
  • The White Stripes
  • The Arctic Monkeys
  • Green Day
The list goes on and on.

These bands possess a well known catalogue and are quality performers on big stages. Of course, they don't come cheap...

Ideally, you probably need bands that have well known hits from at least 20 years ago.
Green Day are absolutely amazing live.
White Stripes don’t exist anymore but I saw Jack White in Adelaide last year and he was sensational.

Noel hates his idiot brother so no oasis.

Foo Fighters would be good and have loads of hits the same as GD do.

• Foo Fighters
  • Oasis
  • RHCP
  • The Killers
  • The White Stripes
  • The Arctic Monkeys
  • Green Day
The list goes on and on.

Unfortunately I don't think Oasis will ever reunite. Pity. Imagine the crowd belting out, "So Sally can wait...".

• Foo Fighters
  • Oasis
  • RHCP
  • The Killers
  • The White Stripes
  • The Arctic Monkeys
  • Green Day
The list goes on and on.

Good choices, I'd go Jack White/Stripes because his fuzz pedals sound freaking wild at a live event.
The Killers have already done it and i don't know if they could top it, it was probably one of the best half time shows at any sports event. Think i'd take Pearl Jam over the Foo's. Not sure.

Korn would be cool!

Last edited:
  • Foo Fighters
  • Oasis
  • RHCP
  • The Killers
  • The White Stripes
  • The Arctic Monkeys
  • Green Day
The list goes on and on.

I wouldn't really call any of them modern bands apart from maybe The Arctic Monkeys but they would all put on a great show for sure.

Oasis would be great but there is probably more chance of The Beatles reforming than Oasis reforming, Noel and Liam still hate each other.

If they did reform we might finally get to see another punch on at an AFL GF between Noel and Liam before the game had even started.

Kiss have a couple of good singalongs but really, don’t have the songs to lift the roof. They try to make up for it with fire and fireworks… if that’s your thing that’s fine, I dunno… I’ve heard some people say they were awesome today… meh

Actually they have plenty of songs to raise the roof… unfortunately they have to play what people know in circumstances like this.

Have they done that since The Killers?

It was so great going to that concert after the game in 2017 and the whole thing was done in darkness.

They let people in for free after the game for it too, there was massive lines out of the stadium of people trying to get in after the game.

Stopped when COVID Stopped the Grand Final at the G, was such a great spectacular with the winning team going up on stage.

Still remembering 2015, everyone chanting Cyril as Ellie Goulding kept extending her set.

A bit of a shaky opening, but they ended up delivering. I can't say I'm a KISS fan, but they're performers who know how to nail a show which is what's all that's needed in an event like this. Same with Robbie last year, and The Killers in '17, big stadium performers are the way to go. I like Crowded House, but they wouldn't have provided the same energy with their style, so it's a blessing in disguise that they pulled out.

That KISS show now is the yardstick for pregame gf entertainment.

No more holy grails and thoughtful melodies that make punters want to fall asleep.

Rock n roll bands is what it should be every year.

Pay the fee and get Metallica next year.

Exxxxitt light !
It was no Killers but it was definitely a beacon as to what should be done. Stadium rock acts of the 80s-00 are mostly going to be a hit :thumbsu:

• Foo Fighters
  • Oasis
  • RHCP
  • The Killers
  • The White Stripes
  • The Arctic Monkeys
  • Green Day
The list goes on and on.

The Killers have done the GF already... and they were top notch.

The Killers were the best because there was no lip sync & their performance was authetic.
Robbie Williams seemed good but that's not my sort of music.

Kiss were good but again not my sort of music & you have to mark them down a bit because of the lip sync on parts, but they did put on a show at least & theatrically were good.

Meat Loaf should have used the lip sync and he probably would have got less criticism but anyway it's one of the most memorable performances for all the wrong reasons & people still talk about it today lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back