blackers

All Australian
Jan 4, 2002
Kowloon Tong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Denver Broncos, Liverpool
Sat at Colonial on Saturday next to a woman who was watching her first Lions game since 1982. She had stopped going to the footy when she had kids and, now that her kids are grown and out of her hair, had decided to get a membership and get back to the footy. Had to help her out with the names of the players and so on but she seemed to be a pretty big fan. Suffice to say Colonial Stadium makes a bit of a change to the old Junction Oval.

A nice story, I thought. Although if having kids prevents you from attending the footy for twenty years then I'm not having any.

:D

similar note.

Took my Mum to her first game since the last Roys game in Melbourne in 1996. (Rnd 21 Vs Richmond)

Same result, but a little closer this time....

Think I've got her hooked again after I gave her the Lions 'armchair membership' for Christmas.

Good for football as they say. Well good for the Vic-arm of the Lions family. The more in the merrier.

Any other stories of people 'coming around' the Lions?

Originally posted by blackers

A nice story, I thought. Although if having kids prevents you from attending the footy for twenty years then I'm not having any.

:D

I am taking my 3 year old daughter to her first game vs Freo this Sunday. She knows the Lions song, has a poster of Vossey on her wall & has a good grasp of what constitutes poor umpiring.

Dont know how much of the game she or I will actually watch, but thats not the point, as long as she enjoys the atsmophere & we can have a kick on the ground after the siren.

I know I will have a lot of fun taking her to the footy over the coming years (unless she decides to support Essendon).

Kids can add dimension to your footy supporting life.

Ouch, InTheback, I have a young daughter too and even the thought of "Dad, I'm barracking for the Bombers" brings tears to my eyes! Should mention we named her "Kiara" after seeing the Lion King2.

Why don't all the Melbourne people organise a door knock around Fitzroy to try and get some of the fence sitters on board. There's still lots of Fitzroy stickers on cars and houses there. It'd be fun!

I've managed to get 2 nephews and a neice on board and you know what they get for Xmas & Birthdays (Lions stuff)! Just hope they stick with it.

My son, aged 7, got a classroom visit from Damien Cupido a couple of weeks after the GF, with all the goodies etc. Total surprise.

He WAS the only Lions fan - now most of the class are fans ( possibly a little fickle ) and there is only one Pies fan .. this is deep in Pie territory. At least he was happy !

He's quite keen to see Damien get a go. In fact he really identifies with the rookies and the young guys, and is rapt at Jamie and Des getting on.

Wow OldLion, Cupido was visiting a school in Melbourne? Geez that's exellent. That's good PR from Brisbane. My daughter likes yelling "Dessie" (when he gets a game). She really just likes the number 1 on his back I think (she's two & a half).

I have been talking about the game on the weekend & my daughter is convinced she is going to play. Having trouble explaining how you just watch. Perhaps she should try out for the Sainters!

Took my 6 yo to the Gabba last year for his first game - was against Freo. The Dockers played very well - Pavlich was outstanding - anyway about 10 mins into the last, freo bagged a goal putting 'em 15 points up & the Lions were looking pretty ordinary. Young son started to whinge, so the "you can't win all the time" speech came out. Eventually he implored "Do something Daddy" !!!!! Short of donning a Feo jumper, I was stuffed.

Anyway as history shows, I think we bagged about 13 goals in the last 15 minutes to win in a canter, much to the relief of son who loudly proclaimed "thankyou daddy"!!!!!

Took him on the turf for a "dob" after the game - geez, life dont get much better. So as for kids messing up going to the footy, yeah, they limit the opportunities, but once you get there, it's just fantastic.

(Taking no. 2 son for his first game later this year - Vs St Kilda - thought I'd better make his first game a win too!!!)

Cheers,

Fatty.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back