Strategy Operation Sign Alastair Clarkson 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Nonsense!

You know if Carltank sign Clarkson, they only get Alastair Clarkson the man, and not the four premierships he’s achieved elsewhere, right?!

Clarkson is a great coach, but he’s currently in charge of a struggling team and would be going to a team who has been beyond struggling for two decades. There’s no guarantee that he would be at the confluence of innovation and brilliant drafting (Hodge/Mitchell/Lewis/Franklin/Roughead) as he was at Hawthorn.

A great CV is just that, and we need to get the right coach for the next ten years, not the previous ten.
With our push for youth we need a coach that will be able to connect - without getting enmeshed.

Would be a devastating blow for us if we lost out to Carlton I feel.

Collingwood’s new grand plan is being played out before our eyes …

First stage: Sniff around Mitchell for our vacant coaching role. Result: Hawthorn thrown into disarray, they part ways with their champion coach, burn $1.2 million of their 2022 soft cap.

Second stage: Force Carlton into a bidding war over Clarkson and in the end we let them have him. Result: Carlton overpay out of their 2022 soft cap for a messiah coach who delivers yet another false dawn. It ends up being 2013 all over again for them.

Third stage: Who will be the next victim of our wrecking ball tactics?

First stage: Sniff around Mitchell for our vacant coaching role. Result: Hawthorn thrown into disarray, they part ways with their champion coach, burn $1.2 million of their 2022 soft cap.

Second stage: Force Carlton into a bidding war over Clarkson and in the end we let them have him. Result: Carlton overpay out of their 2022 soft cap for a messiah coach who delivers yet another false dawn. It ends up being 2013 all over again for them.

With our current form it will be us :'(

Nonsense!

You know if Carltank sign Clarkson, they only get Alastair Clarkson the man, and not the four premierships he’s achieved elsewhere, right?!

Clarkson is a great coach, but he’s currently in charge of a struggling team and would be going to a team who has been beyond struggling for two decades. There’s no guarantee that he would be at the confluence of innovation and brilliant drafting (Hodge/Mitchell/Lewis/Franklin/Roughead) as he was at Hawthorn.

A great CV is just that, and we need to get the right coach for the next ten years, not the previous ten.
By that logic, I should put my hand up. I’ve never coached before, but I’ve got some good ideas.

Previous success is not a guarantee of future success, but it is a good indicator. Not the only indicator, but a strong one. See Matthews and Malthouse, even Williams as examples of past success leading to future success.

Then have a look at how many untried coaches have ended up on the scrap heap…

Clarkson won’t be the silver bullet, neither will any coach. It’s a system that wins premierships, which is not something that Buckley had. I still believe Buckley to be a great coach, the system around him was shot however.

Carlton and Hawthorn are more than sufficient and worthy.

Stage 3 is we focus on getting ourselves the best possible coach!

By that logic, I should put my hand up. I’ve never coached before, but I’ve got some good ideas.

Previous success is not a guarantee of future success, but it is a good indicator. Not the only indicator, but a strong one. See Matthews and Malthouse, even Williams as examples of past success leading to future success.

Clarkson won’t be the silver bullet, neither will any coach. It’s a system that wins premierships, which is not something that Buckley had. I still believe Buckley to be a great coach, the system around him was shot however.
With anything like an even break of luck that GF was ours.

What was shot was the inner workings of the club that was destroyed by Malthouse and his divisive tactics, both as a coach and later as a commentator. One of the most vindictive people in the sport.

Untried coaches have more success than recycled coaches, especially recycled premiership coaches. Clarkson himself was an untried coach as were most premiership coaches in recent years.

Untried coaches have more success than recycled coaches, especially recycled premiership coaches. Clarkson himself was an untried coach as were most premiership coaches in recent years.
Is that some sort of justification for not signing Clarko?

With anything like an even break of luck that GF was ours.

What was shot was the inner workings of the club that was destroyed by Malthouse and his divisive tactics, both as a coach and later as a commentator. One of the most vindictive people in the sport.
Yep pathetic behaviour by Mick

Is that some sort of justification for not signing Clarko?

no it’s just facts. It’s not a reason NOT to sign him but it’s a reason to properly investigate the alternatives.

i think we should be braver than just signing Clarko, and instead look forward to the future at a younger coach with a modern winning game plan. Either Pyke who nearly won a flag and now doing great work at theSwans, or Kingsley who is a triple premiership assistant

no it’s just facts. It’s not a reason NOT to sign him but it’s a reason to properly investigate the alternatives.

i think we should be braver than just signing Clarko and look forward to the future at a younger coach with a winning game plan. Either Pyke who nearly won a flag and now doing great work at theSwans, or Kingsley who is a triple premiership assistant
I don’t think we will get Clarko, but we should definitely try.
He’s the best coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton and Hawthorn are more than sufficient and worthy.

Stage 3 is we focus on getting ourselves the best possible coach!

Oh, of course, winning is what is driving our masterplan …

… but hey, in a ladder based competition that’s as much about lifting yourself up as it is about pushing those around you down. 💪🤣

Nonsense!

Couldn’t agree more. Clarko has already won 4 premierships. Not many coaches in the modern era can sustain that level of success. We need an innovator that can fundamentally change our game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t think we will get Clarko, but we should definitely try.
He’s the best coach.

But is he? On a forward looking basis rather than past results from 4+ years ago…. Maybe he isn’t. Which is my point. He’s the easy safe choice on past results but time moves on. Maybe we need to find the new Hardwick, not the old Clarkson.

Have big news on this can catagoricly say that grahme wright and clarkson have sat down and my understanding is the job is clarksons as long as the financial numbers and a few other things stack up

Even if you are Alastair Clarkson himself, who just got off the phone from Wrighty …

… I’d take take this info with a sack of salt.

Clarko and his manager have just put on a strategic masterclass in the way they’ve played Hawthorn over the last three weeks.

There’s going to be plenty of twists and turns ahead before anybody gets Clarkson’s signature.

Even if you are Alastair Clarkson himself, who just got off the phone from Wrighty …

… I’d take take this info with a sack of salt.

Clarko and his manager have just put on a strategic masterclass in the way they’ve played Hawthorn over the last three weeks.

There’s going to be plenty of twists and turns ahead before anybody gets Clarkson’s signature.
Is that more positive than a grain of salt?

i think we should be braver than just signing Clarko, and instead look forward to the future at a younger coach with a modern winning game plan. Either Pyke who nearly won a flag and now doing great work at theSwans, or Kingsley who is a triple premiership assistant
How about Caracella, premiership player under Sheedy, premiership player under Matthews, premiership assistant at Cats and Tigers. Was an assistant under Mick for a few years too

Oh, of course, winning is what is driving our masterplan …

… but hey, in a ladder based competition that’s as much about lifting yourself up as it is about pushing those around you down. 💪🤣
Carlton generally not around us, but happy to push them further down…into the VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back