Analysis The mini draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd go O'Meara of I had a choice but they are all pretty close.

You could make a case for all of them.

Just think. A player like Shane Mumford, Heath Shaw, Ryan Griffen or Joel Patfull would have got any side into the conversation about these players.

Just think. A player like Shane Mumford, Heath Shaw, Ryan Griffen or Joel Patfull would have got any side into the conversation about these players.

At that time all those players were different than the ones they are now.

Would the Bulldogs have let go an "in his prime" Ryan Griffen out of nowhere? I'm comfortable in the fact we've let him go now when he's on the downhill slide, for a player with just as much talent as these guys

A different take...

What they cost:

2011:

O'Meara + pick 31 (on-traded a few times, eventually Jackson Merrett) - pick 4 (Will Hoskin-Elliott). Win to GC, but WHE looks a jet.

Crouch + Luke Brown - pick 10 (Liam Sumner) + first round compo pick (on-traded the following year as pick 20, eventually Tim Broomhead). Win to Adelaide,

2012:

Martin + end of first round compo pick (on-traded, eventually White/Wright I think) - pick 2 (Jono O'Rourke) + pick 67 (unused). Win GC.

Hogan + Barry + pick 20 (on-traded in Dawes trade) - picks 3 (Lachie Plowman) and 14 (Aidan Corr). Hard to call really, advantage GWS at this stage.
The biggest problem with the mini draft was the fact that Gold Coast were the only club in the league that valued the picks outside of GWS (who weren't allowed to use them anyway). Gold Coast managed to draft two extremely talented players that probably would have gone number 1 the following year. The Suns basically upgraded their picks from 4 and 2 to number 1 for two consecutive years with the catch that they had to wait one year to play them. Small price to pay for the number 1 junior in the country two years in a row. The worst part - the rest of the clubs let it happen!

Exactly. GWS didn't want t trade with Gold Coast but were forced into it because it was the best deal available. The mini draft was introduced as a way for GWS to gain senior players yet all they got was more picks.

The biggest problem with the mini draft was the fact that Gold Coast were the only club in the league that valued the picks outside of GWS (who weren't allowed to use them anyway). Gold Coast managed to draft two extremely talented players that probably would have gone number 1 the following year. The Suns basically upgraded their picks from 4 and 2 to number 1 for two consecutive years with the catch that they had to wait one year to play them. Small price to pay for the number 1 junior in the country two years in a row. The worst part - the rest of the clubs let it happen!

Exactly. GWS didn't want t trade with Gold Coast but were forced into it because it was the best deal available. The mini draft was introduced as a way for GWS to gain senior players yet all they got was more picks.

Which is what GWS really wanted outside a teams best player.
They wanted a Pendles, Danger or Selwood type player not a Shaw, Mumford, Patfull (lol) type. Hence why no club would contemplate it.

They wanted a Pendles, Danger or Selwood type player not a Shaw, Mumford, Patfull (lol) type. Hence why no club would contemplate it.
I don't agree with that. I think GWS would have taken Shaw or Mumford over the Gold Coast's top pick (4 and 2).

I can call Tom Bellchambers and Jake Carlisle a lot of things.

Elite isnt one of them.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...730194867?nk=f80c8469aaed911f711fc7b6b2c9443e

That bit of damage control came out after the AFL upped them for only using it to gain more picks it was nice bit of PR damage control from GWS. During the trading of it they were in interviews all over the media saying only wanted star under 24 yo for them.
I know they asked for 1 of either Thomas or Pendles from pies, which at the time Thomas was killing it and a genuine gun.

That bit of damage control came out after the AFL upped them for only using it to gain more picks it was nice bit of PR damage control from GWS. During the trading of it they were in interviews all over the media saying only wanted star under 24 yo for them.
I know they asked for 1 of either Thomas or Pendles from pies, which at the time Thomas was killing it and a genuine gun.

Thats a neat bit of logic - only wanting a star under 24, and going after Daisy Thomas, who is a little older than 24.

But *shrug*, that's another example right there - Daisy Thomas, who Collingwood didnt like enough to offer a contract extention to, and then lost in free agency.

With 20/20 hindsight, I think you'd like Daisy at GWS on his 800 gees and Martin or O'Meara at Collingwood.

At that time all those players were different than the ones they are now.

Would the Bulldogs have let go an "in his prime" Ryan Griffen out of nowhere? I'm comfortable in the fact we've let him go now when he's on the downhill slide, for a player with just as much talent as these guys

You paid a higher price than what was required for one of those mini draft picks.

You could of almost got O'Meara AND Martin for what you gave away, regardless of Griffen's age.

You paid a higher price than what was required for one of those mini draft picks.

You could of almost got O'Meara AND Martin for what you gave away, regardless of Griffen's age.

But to do that we'd have had to give up Griffen. There would have been absolutely no way we'd have given him up at any point (until he initiated it recently).

So who exactly was the best player offered for mini draft pick that got O'Meara ?

Foley and Nahas ?

Alot of teams ****ed up big team trying to get them on the cheap.

Thomas, Kreuzer, Bellchambers could have all got it done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you look back to the 1994 draft when Fremantle entered the league you will see the AFL set up a system similar to the mini-draft in order to give Dockers a greater chance to recruit senior players. Any team that traded a senior player to Fremantle would would receive a 16-year-old concession selection and that player would have otherwise been a year too young to be drafted. Essendon managed to convince Fremantle to not trade with any other teams located below them on the ladder to ensure the number 1 pick of the 16-year-olds and all they had to do was give up Todd Ridley, who had only played 25 AFL games at the time.

Essendon then used their number 1 pick to get Matthew Lloyd. Now we all know how that turned. Lloyd became one of the greatest forwards in AFL history yet Essendon gave up very little to secure him. GWS weren't weak when it came to the mini-draft and refused to accept below par offers so that is why Gold Coast have secured O'Meara and Martin. Clubs are going really regret they didn't try harder for either of those two when they tear the league apart together.

Bizarre post, really bizarre.

GWS was given the opportunity to trade the mini draft picks as a bonus above and beyond what any other club has received. GWS basically got freebie picks, even if O'Meara, Crouch etc end up being guns GWS won.

Haha exactly, not a chance GWS could come out losing from this situation.

Omeara has potential to be the best in the league, B.Crouch more like top 10. Both quality players and I would chose both over Hogan and Martin. Mids are where it's at.
Give me Crouch over O'Meara any day. Kid is going to explode.

Anyway, eventually these players are going to get forced out of GC by salary cap pressure. If it's not O'Meara and Martin it'll be Swallow, Lynch, Prestia, Bennell, etc.

Give me Crouch over O'Meara any day. Kid is going to explode.

Anyway, eventually these players are going to get forced out of GC by salary cap pressure. If it's not O'Meara and Martin it'll be Swallow, Lynch, Prestia, Bennell, etc.
Not necessarily.

You're right that O'Meara, Martin, Swallow, Prestia and Bennell look like an elite 5 midfield. Lynch a gun forward. One of their 3 rucks will likely end up very good and I'm tipping either or both of McKenzie or Kolodjashnij are repeat AA half back flankers. It's going to be a huge challenge to keep that group together.

But the Hawks managed to keep Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Franklin, Roughead, Rioli, Birchall together long enough to win 2 flags before Franklin left. As long as they stick together and take unders for a few years they can make it happen. I'm sure the likes of Prestia, Bennell and Swallow have been on big money and frontloaded contracts through these early years for the entire purpose of not getting greedy when the pressure is on.

In hindsight they look good but not the absolute stars they were billed as. Hogan has done nothing, albeit injured. O'Meara looks good but hasn't exactly set the league on fire (but still young obviously). Martin has played one good game against a now delisted player. Crouch currently looks the best of the bunch. I think clubs can look back and feel justified for not coughing up their best players.

With all the hype I don't really see it yet, Omeara looks the better player out of the two.
Of course you don't. They are still young and regardless of talent it takes years to adjust to the AFL level and get your body to the point where it can compete with men on a weekly basis. Think about what O'Meara will be like after 5 years in the AFL and he will still be just 23 years old. He is learning from the best in Gary Ablett and actually competing for touches with the best player in the comp. O'Meara's stats would be more impressive if he didn't play with Ablett. The guy looks very durable too given he hasn't missed a game since his debut (44 consecutive games so far).

In hindsight they look good but not the absolute stars they were billed as. Hogan has done nothing, albeit injured. O'Meara looks good but hasn't exactly set the league on fire (but still young obviously). Martin has played one good game against a now delisted player. Crouch currently looks the best of the bunch. I think clubs can look back and feel justified for not coughing up their best players.
That's pretty rough to say none of them are stars when the oldest is just 20 years old. Of course they aren't stars, they are still kids. Everyone knows O'Meara is an extremely talented player and I'm certain if the Gold Coast putting him on the trading block you would see some big offers thrown the Suns' way. It's the fact that O'Meara has shown every sign (so far) that he will become an elite midfielder when he gets a bit older. There is no way clubs would be happy about the fact that Gold Coast was able to get the virtual number 1 pick for another two years. Pick 4 for O'Meara was an absolute steal.

Personally I think O'Meara will end up as one of the best 5 players in the league, if the others can match that they'll be doing extremely well! As for Crouch, the immediate impact he has had on our side has been pretty phenomenal, I haven't seen many players that age with his ability to read the game and execute skills under pressure so cleanly - he's only played 20 odd games but with his composure you'd think you're watching a 200 gamer.

In 2013 (his first season of football) he was arguably our best/most consistent player during the 2nd half of the year, no mean feat for a 1st year player in a midfield containing the likes of Dangerfield, Sloane, Thompson, Douglas etc. He continued that form in 2014 when despite a limited preseason and breaking his leg in round 2, he slotted straight in halfway through the year and was just a model of consistency for the rest of the season (averaging 25-30 touches a game, including a 40 possession game against the eventual Premiers). The likes of Martin and O'Meara might be flashier and more gifted footballers, but Crouch is the rock that you build your midfield around - the Hodge to O'Meara's Judd. You'd be thrilled to have any of them in your side though to be honest!

I'm pretty sure GWS asked for Dale Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back