News Otten re-signs for 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

So 8 of the above players are still on an AFL list, 10 heading into 2015 with Armstrong done and Martin possibly a slight chance of going to another list.

So 8 of the above players are still on an AFL list, 10 heading into 2015 with Armstrong done and Martin possibly a slight chance of going to another list.

You'd think if the premise was about the quality of recruiting then just looking at players still on our list is very misleading. We'd also need to take into account the quality of the picks that each recruiter had at their disposal.

BUMP.......

Just to blow my on bags. - last week I posted that Otten should be retained for the very reasons he displayed yesterday. His footy smarts and his ability to play forward when needed.

So anyone who dare suggest he be dropped for Lever needs to consider that Lever (as great as his potential is as a defender) is not a forward. He does not offer the flexibility that Pyke is demanding this year.

Otten may be slow in the legs but he is fast on assessing his options. We saw this example in the last quarter when he chose to palm the ball rather than attempt a mark. This one act allowed quick movement into the forward line leading to a goal. So speed isn't always about how fast you can run.

Otten can plug gaps forward and back. Something we haven't had as an option for quite a while. He can also pinch hit in ruck.

It takes 24 months for a player to get back to 100% after a 12month injury, that's why he gets 2 years, next year will be an inconsistent year for Otten like the year after his first reco was. Like Tex's 2014 was and like VB's 2015 was. We are re-signing Otten because we want him for 2017.

I agree with this guy's post from 2015.

Interesting bump... with so many posters upset we offered Otten a 2 year extension

TheLeftFist8 , 1970crow , The Sloane Ranger ... what are your thoughts now?
Without re-reading the past comments, I was happy for one of Shaw or Otten to get a 1 year contract, as depth...with Shaw being my preference as I felt he had the higher ceiling....we could've easily gone for another 1 year contract after that post Shaw's issues. Neither should have been given a 2 year deal.

I still feel Shaw had the higher ceiling but we will never know due to concussions.

Otten has elevated himself back to decent depth but let's not go off too early with self-congratulations...as a defender he has played one decent-good game (against a good opponent in Lobb). He was very good on the weekend as a forward/2R but that's not his future.

Still not best 22 and I still don't want him isolated with any decent forward with agility and/or pace.

I thought it unessessary, as I did with Shaw. One year each was enough, neither were going anywhere.

It's not about them going anywhere, it's about them not pushing themselves too hard to return because they feel they need to save their careers. It's a year to be patient and get their body right without worrying about their performance or getting another contract, then they have a year to save their careers and prove they can still play. If Otten had to prove himself last year he probably wouldn't have gotten a contract.

Has been good and will be a good back up going forward. He shouldn't play fall defender over Talia, Hartigan or Lever and he shouldn't play second forward/ruck over Jenkins.

But can come straight back in and play a role when required.

It's not about them going anywhere, it's about them not pushing themselves too hard to return because they feel they need to save their careers. It's a year to be patient and get their body right without worrying about their performance or getting another contract, then they have a year to save their careers and prove they can still play. If Otten had to prove himself last year he probably wouldn't have gotten a contract.

That's just plain wrong, Otto would have gotten another contract, it's absurd to suggest he wouldn't have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's just plain wrong, Otto would have gotten another contract, it's absurd to suggest he wouldn't have.

If just playing SANFL football is enough to guarantee another contract, then you might as well just give him 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back