Our captain and leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't necessarily need a voice to lead as a VC in the AFL. He can lead by example - in the way he prepares and onfield during games.
Very true. I do feel we could use another 'vocal' leader in our ranks though, we seem to have many introverted, quieter 'lead by example' types. Probably Hanley and Rockliff are the only two obvious exceptions to that which I can think of.

I think with the competition for spots this season, with the depth we have in most positions there may be a fair amount of voice around training and the change rooms.
I agree that it's great to have vocal leadership and players that display constructive talk, but if it's not backed up on field it's just words.
The best coach I ever played under (many moons ago) was a playing coach in country vic.
Very hard at it, non compromising and backed it up on field week in week out.
As a teenager back then he made you feel 10 ft tall by his words and actions.
I think teams that display aggressive vocal demands on each other seem to push for greater heights in performance and professionalism, it seems contagious.
It can also put some second thoughts into your opposition.
I hope this season with a few of the inclusions we can display some real strength around the ball and around our stoppages.
Strong talk and strong actions go hand in hand.

I think with the competition for spots this season, with the depth we have in most positions there may be a fair amount of voice around training and the change rooms.
I agree that it's great to have vocal leadership and players that display constructive talk, but if it's not backed up on field it's just words.
The best coach I ever played under (many moons ago) was a playing coach in country vic.
Very hard at it, non compromising and backed it up on field week in week out.
As a teenager back then he made you feel 10 ft tall by his words and actions.
I think teams that display aggressive vocal demands on each other seem to push for greater heights in performance and professionalism, it seems contagious.
It can also put some second thoughts into your opposition.
I hope this season with a few of the inclusions we can display some real strength around the ball and around our stoppages.
Strong talk and strong actions go hand in hand.

Agree Robbo - one of the hallmarks of the Lions' domination in the early 2000s was the aggression and talk ... sure we had good players, but I reckon we just about psyched them out by quarter time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back