Our current top 25 in order

Remove this Banner Ad

No mention of Bennell here but apparently he's in our best 25.

Have to say I didn't see that coming.

Sorry to intrude but it's hard to see why most people don't have Masten top 5. He is ultra consistent, runs super hard and can handle defensive attention. Offers far more than LeCras IMO, especially in high pressure games.

For me;

1) Naitanui
2) Kennedy
3) Masten
4) Hurn
5) Selwood
6) Glass
7) Mackenzie
8) Darling
9) Wellingham
10) Priddis
11) Schuey
12) Yeo
13) Cox
14) LeCras
15) Waters
16) Gaff
17) Rosa
18) Ellis
19) Schofield
20) Lycett
21) Sheed
22) Hill
23) Brown
24) Cripps
25) Hutchings

Sorry to intrude but it's hard to see why most people don't have Masten top 5. He is ultra consistent, runs super hard and can handle defensive attention.
Still too early to say that.

Most Eagles fans would have Mackenzie higher than Masten.

You're also pretty hard on Cox.

1. Naitanui
2. Kennedy
3. Mackenzie
4. Cox
5. LeCras
6. Glass
7. Darling
8. Selwood
9. Masten
10. Shuey
11. Hurn
12. Wellingham
13. Priddis
14. Gaff
15. Yeo
16. Rosa
17. Waters
18. Hill
19. Ellis
20. Brown
21. Schofield
22. Hutchings
23. Lycett
24. Butler
25. Sheed

Trying to strike a balance between how good they have been, how good they will be and how good we need them to be.
Definitely agree with the top 6. Personally I'd slip Hurn in at 7 and shuffle the rest down because I think he's more important to the team than any individual after that spot.
LeCras is a tough one to judge- if he plays like he did in 2013 he should be after Glass, Darling and Hurn, but if he returns to form you'd probably put him above Cox (assuming Cox does decline a bit).
One could make endless arguments for the order of Shuey, Selwood, Masten, Wellingham, Gaff and Priddis based on the criteria, but I think you have it right in that you can basically throw a blanket over all of them.
Good list.

Sorry to intrude but it's hard to see why most people don't have Masten top 5. He is ultra consistent, runs super hard and can handle defensive attention. Offers far more than LeCras IMO, especially in high pressure games.

For me;

1) Naitanui
2) Kennedy
3) Masten
4) Hurn
5) Selwood
6) Glass
7) Mackenzie
8) Darling
9) Wellingham
10) Priddis
11) Schuey
12) Yeo
13) Cox
14) LeCras
15) Waters
16) Gaff
17) Rosa
18) Ellis
19) Schofield
20) Lycett
21) Sheed
22) Hill
23) Brown
24) Cripps
25) Hutchings
I am not sure how you can rate Yeo higher than both Cox and Lecras. So far Yeo has played zero quality games for us, and very few for Brisbane.

No mention of Bennell here but apparently he's in our best 25.

Have to say I didn't see that coming.

it's not really that huge a surprise. he may not be "best 25" if you rank our list, but he fills a space that few others in the team occupy. a pacey small defender, that can spend some minutes in the midfield (an area that was constantly exposed and found lacking last year).

i mean, who else is there? butler seems way past it, carter looks okay though doesn't (i recall) have the speed nor afl experience... that's about it really.

it's not really that huge a surprise. he may not be "best 25" if you rank our list, but he fills a space that few others in the team occupy. a pacey small defender, that can spend some minutes in the midfield (an area that was constantly exposed and found lacking last year).

i mean, who else is there? butler seems way past it, carter looks okay though doesn't (i recall) have the speed nor afl experience... that's about it really.
I'd have had Butler, Carter and Yeo ahead of him.

i dunno, i don't rate butler, unsure on carter, and yeo imo is more of a rebounding hbf - and in the team regardless.
And what impresses you about Bennell?

I thought Yeo would be an automatic selection, rather than being named on an extended bench.

Still too early to say that.

Most Eagles fans would have Mackenzie higher than Masten.

You're also pretty hard on Cox.
Going on from last year though Masten was definitely in our top 3 best performed players. I agree that Mackenzie is more important but having Masten that high based on last years performance is absolutely correct. IMO Kennedy, Mackenzie and Masten were Daylight ahead of anyone else and it was proven in the BigFooty player of the year awards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going on from last year though Masten was definitely in our top 3 best performed players.
Maybe. But where would you rank Naitanui?

If you're using last year as the only criteria, would he even be top 10?

I'd have thought Naitanui, Kennedy and Mackenzie is a pretty comfortable top 3 when you weigh 'best performed' against 'most important'.

I agree that Mackenzie is more important but having Masten that high based on last years performance is absolutely correct.
Again, the assumption that this is a list based solely on last year. It's not 'Best to Worst 2013'.

And what impresses you about Bennell?

I thought Yeo would be an automatic selection, rather than being named on an extended bench.

imo yeo is an automatic selection, there's no way he won't be in the team. i wasn't saying bennell was a better/more impressive prospect than yeo, i'm saying they have different roles in the team.

bennell impressed me more than carter and butler (in recent years). and those players are his competition.

Simpson basically guaranteed that Yeo would play round 1. I'm not sure why they listed him on the bench, but I wouldn't be worried.

Maybe. But where would you rank Naitanui?

If you're using last year as the only criteria, would he even be top 10?

I'd have thought Naitanui, Kennedy and Mackenzie is a pretty comfortable top 3 when you weigh 'best performed' against 'most important'.

Again, the assumption that this is a list based solely on last year. It's not 'Best to Worst 2013'.
Naitanui = #1.

I was just supporting the fact that Masten could be ranked that high. Doing another clubs top 25 like this guy did takes a bit of the sentiment out of it too. Hence the rule your only as good as your last season, but he does know how important Naitanui is.

imo yeo is an automatic selection, there's no way he won't be in the team. i wasn't saying bennell was a better/more impressive prospect than yeo, i'm saying they have different roles in the team.
Hardly chalk and cheese.

You described Bennell as "a pacey small defender, that can spend some minutes in the midfield". You could say pretty much the same of Yeo, although he's medium rather than small. With that in mind, I expected Yeo to be slotted straight into the back six ahead of Bennell.

Last edited:
I was just supporting the fact that Masten could be ranked that high.
Still a stretch to have him top 5.

He might have been our best performed midfielder last season but I don't consider him a 'stand-out'.

Hence the rule your only as good as your last season...
Is that a rule?

I guess it makes sense if you like easily recited slogans and want to throw all nuance out the window.

Still a stretch to have him top 5.

He might have been our best performed midfielder last season but I don't consider him a 'stand-out'.

Is that a rule?

I guess it makes sense if you like easily recited slogans and want to throw all nuance out the window.
3 players last year were a class above the rest. So top 5 isn't a stretch. In fact I don't even know how you can get lists to stretch. Can you please explain stretching lists? Do they have tight hamstrings that require them to stretch? Or do you give them 1.5 line spacing over the conventional 1.15?

3 players last year were a class above the rest. So top 5 isn't a stretch.
So are you saying that Masten is definitively one of our five best players?

Or is this another instance of you flying a kite, endorsing a view that you don't actually hold?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back