Analysis Our forward line - KPF depth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jd struggled today and in a role playing up the ground - He needs a few weeks in the VFL to work on his game.

I agree with Eth Dog's opinion of Dixon - Will add that Dixon is a passenger when he gets a bad match up.

Defensive pressure is simply an attitude and work ethic thing. In any case, McKernan, Langford, Fantasia and Daniher all have good defensive pressure.

Make it a non-negotiable when in the side.
Obviously it's an attitude and work ethic thing, but it's an Attitude and work ethic we don't have. McKernan and Fantasia yes. Langford I have not seen enough. Daniher hell no, you are kidding yourself... Tries, but he's not effective.

Obviously it's an attitude and work ethic thing, but it's an Attitude and work ethic we don't have. McKernan and Fantasia yes. Langford I have not seen enough. Daniher hell no, you are kidding yourself... Tries, but he's not effective.

Daniher not effective compared to a small forward or a key forward?

There is a fair amount of complexity in our current s**t storm of issues, but the issue for our forward line is not personnel as far as i am concerned. We have seen signs of development in all the players that we were looking at late last year. JD, Carlisle, Fantasia and Jackson have all improved, but now of course the team as a whole have lost the plot. The midfielders started the fall which cut the supply to the forward line early in the season which confounds the issue. If Giles/TBC or a new recruit could ruck 65% of the game, i would be happy with the balance of Mckernan as a third tall. I think he brings the bustle that you need to make up for the height and pace. We've seen good signs that Jackson and Fantasia can assist Colyer and Zach, so i'm reasonably satisfied that time and development should fix the issues. Plus there's quite a few in the wings that look likely to apply pressure.
It's a conservative take, but i don't think we should be throwing babies out with the bathwater... We've yet to see this forward line in operation with a firing midfield this year after all.

Daniher not effective compared to a small forward or a key forward?
Well he tries, so that puts him ahead of most key forwards, but it was an absolute statement, not a relative statement. There is just very minimal real or perceived pressure there. I don't hold it against him, but I want our forward line as a unit to have very good defensive pressure, so those around him need to make up for it.

Well he tries, so that puts him ahead of most key forwards, but it was an absolute statement, not a relative statement. There is just very minimal real or perceived pressure there. I don't hold it against him, but I want our forward line as a unit to have very good defensive pressure, so those around him need to make up for it.

So what's the solution, no key forwards?

I cant see Mckernan carrying the ruck for the rest of the year, Giles will surely have to come in for structural reasons but sounds like he is a few weeks away from AFL standard?

I cant see Mckernan carrying the ruck for the rest of the year, Giles will surely have to come in for structural reasons but sounds like he is a few weeks away from AFL standard?
He's been on AFL lists for years. If he's not AFL standard now he never will be.

Always missed a true medium sized forward who takes 6 - 12 marks, ranging from shots on goal (30m out) right up to the wings.

Can understand why Paddy Ambrose was given such a free ride early. We really expected him to come on and be that guy.

We miss Cram.

You could consider Monfries also (small - medium).

This is where we have literally nothing to lose in playing Langford/Laverde the rest of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JD has fairly much treaded water in 2015. He needs to play smarter and get the dumb things out of his game. Must say I shudder when he his in the defensive goal square.

One thing ive taken from his year is he is getting the ball alot more, or so it seems. Just cant use it when kicking at the big sticks.

But hes so tall and lanky, he was always going to take time. Needs preseasons and size. And kicking pratice but I know he works hard on that

One thing ive taken from his year is he is getting the ball alot more, or so it seems. Just cant use it when kicking at the big sticks.

But hes so tall and lanky, he was always going to take time. Needs preseasons and size. And kicking pratice but I know he works hard on that

I look for key indicators - FF's must get marks on the lead as this is their bread and butter - His ability to use his reach to grab marks is the icing on the cake - And he still struggles to hold his ground in GENUINE one-on-One contests - There is still time for JD to get better and we will know more in 2017 -As an aside JD wins 5.5 of one-on-one contests - Which is about the lowest in the AFL. This is something that Gumbleton never mastered.

We miss Cram.

You could consider Monfries also (small - medium).

This is where we have literally nothing to lose in playing Langford/Laverde the rest of the year.

We really, really hope that Langford and Laverde come on and become one of those 15 touches, 2 goals, 8+ mark type of forward.

Lots of talk about who we miss or who we need but it would help if we had someone in it to start with. This bullshit of having everyone in the back half
is wearing very thin. Too many times we get the ball and try to run from half back only to have the whole team behind the bloke with the ball.
You can not score if no one is in the forward half !!!!

Lots of talk about who we miss or who we need but it would help if we had someone in it to start with. This bullshit of having everyone in the back half
is wearing very thin. Too many times we get the ball and try to run from half back only to have the whole team behind the bloke with the ball.
You can not score if no one is in the forward half !!!!

Why do you think we do it?

Ive been banging on about similar all season. Hird is in LOVE with pushing up having extra/s at the ball. It simply does not work and is easily worked out - teams sit off us and keep their structure back and we simply cant deal with it. Sure, use it at times, but we are so stubborn it is just laughable.

IMHO Daniher has been fine this season - give him a genuine strucutre and you cant ask for more for a guy with his body and age.

He will probably kick 40 odd this season - and with his kicking you absolute have to be happy with that in a comedy show known as our game structure.

We lose the hitouts by 40 every week, we need the extras at the at the ball, issue is we don't have the speed to get out into space.

I really have no idea on this. It is likely to be part work rate and forwards not getting back quick enough but in saying that we often have everyone way too far up the ground. For some reason we seem to end up with huge numbers inside the back 50 yet we can still struggle to defend and certainly struggle to get the ball out as all the numbers are behind the ball carrier.

Makes for crap viewing when poor sides are playing. I hate rule changes but i now wish we had the Under 18 Champ rules where you have to have 2 each inside the 50 arc all the time.

Can not see any reason for why we need to do it or how it makes you a good side. Simply makes it too hard to score.

I really have no idea on this. It is likely to be part work rate and forwards not getting back quick enough but in saying that we often have everyone way too far up the ground. For some reason we seem to end up with huge numbers inside the back 50 yet we can still struggle to defend and certainly struggle to get the ball out as all the numbers are behind the ball carrier.

Makes for crap viewing when poor sides are playing. I hate rule changes but i now wish we had the Under 18 Champ rules where you have to have 2 each inside the 50 arc all the time.

Can not see any reason for why we need to do it or how it makes you a good side. Simply makes it too hard to score.

I can see the work rate being an issue. Have we also conceded that our midfield just can't win the ball enough (and meaningfully enough)?

I can see the work rate being an issue. Have we also conceded that our midfield just can't win the ball enough (and meaningfully enough)?

Probably. We have been playing this extra number at the contest for a while now but it does not work as there are too many see ball get ball players who have
no idea about stoppage structure and what they call the 5m and 10m arcs around the play. We always have too many numbers inside the 5m which is why sides clear it easily against us.

Today i would have though the best forward to isolate inside 50 apart form Daniher would have been Edwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back