Our Future Midfield

Which young mid do you think will be the best ?

• Tay Adams

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Nathan Freeman

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Tim Broomhead

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Jordan De Goey

Votes: 27 36.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well, how do you guys rate our future midfielders ?
I really am optimistic about how they can grow together and become dominant ! Nice mix of contested ball winning, speed and skill (an extra skilful one wouldn't hurt (Maynard?))
I didn't include Kennedy, Elliott in the poll as I see them more forward then mid atm and I want to see who people are most excited about between these 4 ! I personally think when they've all retired Broomhead will be considered the best !
I would love to see all 4 plus the 2 mentioned in the round 1 team, but obviously DeGoey is probably unlikely

Jordan De Geoy and Nathan Freeman being the outright 2 best with De Goey's clutch putting him a tough higher.

Tay Adams being the main grunt worker and Tim Broomhead getting it done on the outside going inside when he needs to.

I expect Pendles to be around well into his thirties though as a defender/mid like Hawthorn do with Burgoyne, Hodge and Mitchell.

Adams. He be underrated throughout his career, but he'll be the player we most when the next gen midfielders start to slow down.

JT deserves to be in the poll though, he going to be a large part of our midfield rotations for the next decade.

With the way we've been drafting the last few years we now have a large number of blokes developing in the back half of the field, and looking at these names there is a lot of talent that could be converted into serious midfield talent!

On top of this years crop of draftees Manteit, Maynard and Goodyear (looks like he's developing as a defender thus far) we still have Sinclair, Ramsey, Langdon, Oxley, Williams, Seedsman and Shazza.

Even in the front half, guys like Fasolo, Karnezis and Crisp have had runs through the middle (At both AFL and VFL level) and have looked quite comfortable.

Obviously you can't fit 22 boys into the middle, and not all the above listed players will make it, but going forward I certainly don't believe it will be as clear cut as Adams, Freeman, De Goey and Broomy, i see those blokes as obvious candidates and blokes that will probably start and finish their respective careers as midfielders, but the more players that make it as defenders, the more that may get pushed into the middle.

If we're looking well into the future, i would not be surprised in the slightest if Langdon and Shazza become A grade mids, from what I've seen thus far they have the quality to be anything (should they get on the park).

Also think Josh Thomas has a lot more to offer then what he's dished up thus far.

And much like Gary Ablett Jr and Stevie J before him, awesome forwards that have turned into A grade mids, I think it's for the best if we get Elliot up the field, perhaps not this year, but slowly over the next few years, the kid has way too much talent and i'd love to see him in the middle tearing it up and winning brownlows!

It's become apparent whilst writing this our future midfield will have some serious talent :D

Adams. He be underrated throughout his career, but he'll be the player we most when the next gen midfielders start to slow down.

JT deserves to be in the poll though, he going to be a large part of our midfield rotations for the next decade.
Agree, and JT has the most runs on the board so far, or at least up there with Adams.

Dane Swan says hello
Agreed. 5x AA 2009-13. Allowed one down season due to injury surely. Don't write him off. Would love to see him win a Copeland in 2015.

Agreed. 5x AA 2009-13. Allowed one down season due to injury surely. Don't write him off. Would love to see him win a Copeland in 2015.
going away slightly from the topic of the forum. but are we all too harsh and do we have too high expectations of swan ? at 30 and at least 3 major injuries last year he still avg 25 touches and just under 1 goal a game as our oldest player. he was and has been arguable the most consistent player between 2007 - 2013 then anyone. I think that most on this forum should just appreciate what he has given us and let him enjoy the twilight of his career without the pressure of being a no1 / no2 mid.

I'll give the rating thing a go for the whingers.

Guys like Travis Varcoe, Jack Crisp and Levi Greenwood, I have opted to leave out, as their roles, and importance won't be evident until they have played for Collingwood, compared to their previous club.

A-Graders:

Scott Pendlebury
Travis Cloke
Steele Sidebottom
Dane Swan

B-Graders:

Jamie Elliott
Ben Reid

Important structure/team players:

Alan Toovey
Tyson Goldsack
Jarryd Blair
Brent Maccaffer
Nathan Brown

Fringe/C-Graders:

Jesse White
Sam Dwyer
Clinton Young
Lachlan Keeffe
Ben Sinclair
Paddy Karnezis
Paul Seedsman
Adam Oxley

Up&Comers:

Jordan De Goey (top 10)
Darcy Moore (top 10)
Tim Broomhead (first rounder)
Marley Williams
Josh Thomas
Nathan Freeman (top 10)
Matt Scharenberg (top 10)
Taylor Adams (first rounder)
Brodie Grundy (first rounder)
Alex Fasolo
Ben Kennedy (first rounder)
Tom Langdon
Jarrod Witts
Jon Marsh
Brayden Maynard

You can understand why Collingwood supporters are a tad excited when you look at the list of up and comers. Potential is an ugly word in football, but Collingwood's track record in development is amongst the best in the AFL. When you've got 8 first rounders to play with, you're in pretty good shape, expecially when these guys will have three bonafide A-graders to learn from in Cloke, Pendles and Sidebottom. Some may argue that Sidebottom isn't an A-grader, but he has proven himself to the Collingwood faithful. Jamie Elliott is next off to becoming an A-grader and next year might be his chance - absolute star in the making.
Ben Reid, B-Grade???? Would question that (IMO)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broomy at this stage. Particularly as we haven't actually seen either of Freeman or De Goey. Adams will be a gem but he'll be the Luke Ball type battering ram dishing the ball out to Broomy who'll tear sides a new one.

Likely I'll give a completely different view after the 2015 season. In fact, there'll be a player or 2 who'll get midfield time in 2015 and surprise us and make us wonder why their names were not included in this poll.

It's a good discussion and some really good names amongst that group. I'd include all four being discussed in the op as being all a part of our future midfield.

Broomhead I'd consider the best talent of that group but he is more than just a midfielder as one of our most talented in that Didak kind of way.

Freeman can also be terrific and will be an excellent midfielder and among our best few.

Adams after Pendlebury already is our second best leader but I don't see him as necessarily the best as someone who isn't as talented or even good by foot.

De Goey would be my best for best midfielder. He has developing to do but can win the contested ball. Has the drive to be not just good but great. But then his skills are good enough and excellent overhead which will make him a weapon when he pushes forward also.

It's a really good young group and it's going to be very interesting to see just how far we can take their games. The talent is there for these guys to all be B grade or better talents with Broomhead, Freeman and De Goey all chances to be A graders if things go right.

Don't sleep on Maynard either as a future midfielder. His endurance is a work in progress and as such he won't play through the midfield right away, but he can win the footy, tackle and has a real hard edge to him.

Not ready to put a ceiling on any of the young talent mentioned in the OP. It really is an exciting list with plenty of variety. Broomhead, has my vote, purely because it's the silky highly skilled midfielders that tend to excite most.

One advantage of losing Beams is that these young guns are going to get opportunities sooner rather than later.

Back