Our Premiership team 5 years from now

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought this might be an interesting exercise. Based on our current list of players, who are you absolutely confident in having the goods to be part of a premiership team?

Bare in mind that players only make it in this team if they are young enough to still be around in 5 years time and playing close to or at their peak. Players should also only make the team when you feel they have displayed enough on the field to suggest they have the goods.

You don't have to fill every position on the field if you are not currently convinced that we have the right player to fill that spot. Try to be as critical as possible.

Of course, your list is not set in stone. Over time, you may choose to add or remove a player according to their form or if they come to or leave the club.

This is what I currently have:

FB: Logue ??? ???

HB: ??? ??? ???

C: Scott LDU ???

HF: Thomas ??? Sheezel

FF: Zurhaar Larkey ???

Foll: ??? Wardlaw ???

INT: Simpkin Ford ??? ???

No McKay. Would have had him locked at full back at the start of the season but now I'm not so sure. Want to see more from Powell and Bergman. Not yet convinced with Stevo and Paul Curtis.

Last edited:

Thought this might be an interesting exercise. Based on our current list of players, who are you absolutely confident in having the goods to be part of a premiership team?

Bare in mind that players only make it in this team if they are young enough to still be around in 5 years time and playing close to or at their peak. Players should also only make the team when you feel they have displayed enough on the field to suggest they have the goods.

You don't have to fill every position on the field if you are not currently convinced that we have the right player to fill that spot. Try to be as critical as possible.

Of course, your list is not set in stone. Over time, you may choose to add or remove a player according to their form or if they come to or leave the club.

This is what I currently have:

FB: Logue ??? ???

HB: ??? ??? Goater

C: Scott LDU Ford

HF: Thomas ??? Sheezel

FF: Zurhaar Larkey ???

Foll: ??? Wardlaw ???

INT: Simpkin Phillips ??? ???

No McKay. Would have had him locked at full back at the start of the season but now I'm not so sure. Want to see more from Powell and Bergman. Not yet convinced with Stevo and Paul Curtis.

Based on what we've seen how can you be confident about Ford Goater and Phillips? I mean they're young and shown bits but confident? Maybe hopeful or optimistic but not confident.

I fear with our list and our culture, most of our last premiership team will be pushing up daisies by the time our next premiership team's dad's build up enough courage to ask their mum's out for a date.

B. Bergman McKay Archer
HB. Goater Logue Thomas
C. Clark Simpkin Scott
HF. Zurhaar Comben Sheezel
F. Ford Larkey Harvey
Foll. ? LDU Wardlaw
Int. Powell Phillips ? ?

We’re closer than a lot think. We need to get the best coach who is willing and able to coach this group.

I'm not sure how you can have players on this list that haven't even been able to hold down a spot in a bottom side to this point.

This would require astronomical development over the next few years.

Reality says we're not that close at all.

Based on what we've seen how can you be confident about Ford Goater and Phillips? I mean they're young and shown bits but confident? Maybe hopeful or optimistic but not confident.

I fear with our list and our culture, most of our last premiership team will be pushing up daisies by the time our next premiership team's dad's build up enough courage to ask their mum's out for a date.

That's a fair call. I see a lot of really good attributes in Ford. Goater and Phillips probably still have a fair bit to prove.

I know he hasn't played a game yet, but looks like folks are already forgetting about #33 ... throw in #2 pick later this year plus hopefully Ryley Sanders and there's another three to step in ...

I know he hasn't played a game yet, but looks like folks are already forgetting about #33 ... throw in #2 pick later this year plus hopefully Ryley Sanders and there's another three to step in ...

I don't see how you can be on this list without playing a game and proving yourself at the top level. In fact, you can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez you're a hard task master Gaso! 😅

Please..5 more years…2029?

That’s 30 years of softness

Time to take some concrete and harden up and send some of these Downhill Skiers to other slopes and rebuild from scratch

We’ve become too willing on this Board to pump up Players that are not up to scratch and hope and hope and hope that next season something clicks

It’s broken

Please..5 more years…2029?

That’s 30 years of softness

Time to take some concrete and harden up and send some of these Downhill Skiers to other slopes and rebuild from scratch

We’ve become too willing on this Board to pump up Players that are not up to scratch and hope and hope and hope that next season something clicks

It’s broken

I agree with you. I think the reality lies somewhere in between our two teams

B. Bergman McKay Archer
HB. Goater Logue Thomas
C. Clark Simpkin Scott
F. Ford Larkey Harvey
Foll. ? LDU Wardlaw
Int. Powell Phillips ? ?

We’re closer than a lot think. We need to get the best coach who is willing and able to coach this group.
Good on ya love the positivity.

I have question marking on around 8 of them at least.

Hope you’re correct 👍

Good on ya love the positivity.

I have question marking on around 8 of them at least.

Hope you’re correct 👍

Yeah, this is not an exercise for rose coloured glasses. Some might get there and they can be added later when they've proven themselves.

Brother were nowhere near it.

Defence is being built from scratch.
We have no genuine gun rucks.
We have no centre half forward.
No gun small forwards.

There is atleast 20-22 blokes that will be delisted over the course of the next 2 off-seasons.

Id be happy if we win a final in 5 years.

I'm not sure how you can have players on this list that haven't even been able to hold down a spot in a bottom side to this point.

This would require astronomical development over the next few years.

Reality says we're not that close at all.
They’re just 20 (Bergman, Goater, Archer, Harvey, Ford) year old kids atm. Their physical maturity over the next 2 years alone will improve them. They will get bigger, stronger, quicker and some even taller. They will stick more tackles, break through tackles and start winning more one on one contests

I don't see how you can be on this list without playing a game and proving yourself at the top level. In fact, you can't.
Ok … so that logic implies you currently have to be on our list today and have played senior footy or be currently playing for another club to make the cut? righto … I’d look at it another way - we are only contending in five years if there at least 8-10 new players in the team … I’m guessing the vast majority of those players won’t have played a game yet …

Ok, so the idea of the exercise is to look at what we have right now that we can build a finals or premiership contending team around. By doing so, it should expose the gaps of what we need to get to where we want to be. This makes it clearer to identify our draft and trading needs.

It is not an exercise of crystal balling and guessing what a player could become. They have either proven themselves or they haven't. It doesn't mean that a current player can't be added to this list at some stage down the track as they develop and put the runs on the board.

An example of this would be Bailey Scott. This time last year, he would probably be a 50/50 when it comes to being on this team sheet but i think most of us would agree with what we've seen from him this year, that he now deserves to be on this list.

It also doesn't mean you would completely ignore a guy like Brayden George who hasn't played yet but has potential. So since we have him marked for a forward role for example, when it comes to drafting and trading, we would prioritise other positions in the team where it is clear we are lacking. i:e: key defenders, a couple more midfielders, a ruck and a key forward.

So it's basically a rolling team sheet of where you are at any particular time of players who you arw confident are going to be able to take us where we need to be.

By having something like this, it should hopefully mean that you don't end up with 20 of the same type of player like Bard and his cohort left us with which landed us in the mess we have today.

B. Bergman McKay Archer
HB. Goater Logue Thomas
C. Clark Simpkin Scott
F. Ford Larkey Harvey
Foll. ? LDU Wardlaw
Int. Powell Phillips ? ?

I'd love to think you're right. Unfortunately you're not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back