Out of contract player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole Mick Malthouse at Carlton charade is going to be a disaster. Can see it already.
What else can you see?

Charade best describes expansion teams that can't stand on their own two feet without AFL assistance. Can see GWS and GC ending up like the Brisbane Lions who can't retain players.
If that is true then thats a joke. Is MM actually trying to build a side or just seek vengeance?

He should be targeting talls not more midfielders.
Who said we aren't targetting KPP?

The best KPP have been bought up and retained by Sydney, GC and GWS who have more money to spend. Even Collingwood couldn't do better than Quinten Lynch and Jesse White. Clubs may have dodged a bullet if Tippett's knee is degenerative and needs surgery.
If MM took Steele the media would go nuts. It just reeks that he's trying to get his old Collingwood side back together.

Just develop the new players you got, Mick.
Does Mick care about the media? :D

Reeks of targetting the best available players who would be in Mick's best 22 and contribute. Players generally want to play for a coach who knows how to get the best out of his guns and role players. Better track record than everyone bar Clarkson who has also targeted senior players from other teams.

A very disgruntled and offended Carlton supporter who's only retort is a cheap shot at my team that carries no real weight. But hey! Had no problems retaining players so far bar Caddy so I'm happy :) I can't predict the future though.

Which KPPs did GC 'buy' that you so desperately chased or wanted? No bought KPPs are currently in our best 22...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He has some work to do as he wouldn't have been last year.

Yeah not saying he is ahead now, he was behind Thomas last year, but he re-signed last year so expect with natural progression I see him being a better than Black. Both will be guns, I was just emphasizing how stupid the comment I quoted was.

Yeah not saying he is ahead now, he was behind Thomas last year, but he re-signed last year so expect with natural progression I see him being a better than Black. Both will be guns, I was just emphasizing how stupid the comment I quoted was.

Agree - Darling has started his career much stronger - he was just physically ready before Black. They were really close statically in 2013 and Black closed the gap.

I am not sure there will be a lot between them come the end of their careers. The thing I like about Darling is I can see him carrying a forward line post Cox and Kennedy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it seems that Carlton have given up on Gibbs if the Sidebottom talk is true. Going to take some good currency to get him to the Blues, I'm thinking Menzel as a minimum.
Why??? They're allowed to have two similar players play for them.
It would involve Carlton's first rounder, not a required player who has no reason to want to play for you.

Why??? They're allowed to have two similar players play for them.
It would involve Carlton's first rounder, not a required player who has no reason to want to play for you.

Thomas circa $700k
Murphy $700k+ (I can't see him on the same or less than Thomas)
Walker $400k+

Simpson is still unsigned, Gibbs will likely require $600k to thwart off the SA clubs and
to lure Sidebottom away it would potentially come at $400-500k.

That is $3 million plus or one third of the clubs salary cap on 6 players without even factoring in Kruezer, Judd and Henderson. That would be a clear case of poor management of the salary cap IMO. Something has to give in order to potentially bring Sidebottom and it's Gibbs.

To answer the possibility of it involving Carlton's first round pick. Though a top 8 pick would be acceptable for Sidebottom Collingwood have had 5 first round picks in the first round of the past two drafts, so what incentive is their to accept another one? We need players now.

In fact if we're able to hold onto our first rounder post father son bidding I'd be surprised if we don't trade it out. 2015 will be put up or shut up time for Buckley and co so he can't afford to just keep accepting first round picks for good players. Not to mention that I'm sure Menzel would appreciate a reunion with Grundy, Scharanberg, Kennedy and Broomhead.

Carlton have a very very poor hand in any play for Sidebottom considering the current relationship between the two clubs so someone like Menzel would need to come into the discussions to get it done.

Last edited:
If we could get a top 10 pick for Steele then I'd jump at it. Absolutely love the bloke and don't want him to leave but realistically he's a flanker and a good teams 5th or 6th midfielder. Injuries to key players in the last couple of years has probably meant he's played too much in the middle and down back instead of forward where he belongs

If we could get a top 10 pick for Steele then I'd jump at it. Absolutely love the bloke and don't want him to leave but realistically he's a flanker and a good teams 5th or 6th midfielder. Injuries to key players in the last couple of years has probably meant he's played too much in the middle and down back instead of forward where he belongs

I'd give pick 10 up for him in any other draft apart from this one. Purely because of the KPP talent available.

I'd give pick 10 up for him in any other draft apart from this one. Purely because of the KPP talent available.

Yeah the club has said they've specifically based contracts around the next couple of drafts, this years one for KPPs and next years for mids. Wouldn't be surprised to see the club try and get two first round picks considering one could be spent on Darcy Moore depending on how he goes this year

Maybe Judd retires or Gibbs leaves, Can get Sidebottom with ease.

How do you define with ease? If he were a FA I would be inclined to agree should they free up room in the cap, but I struggle to find a situation that would make a Collingwood-Carlton trade easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back