Overcoming collingwood's interstate success

Remove this Banner Ad

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
Far out next saturday nights game against the pies will have a massive bearing on potentially who finishes where at the end of the H&A season IMO.

The pies are masters at playing interstate and usually come away with the crucial four points,we have to put end to this.Hate to say it but it's shaping as a classic eight point game!

Yep. They certainly didn't put a very ordinary St Kilda to the sword.

Someone needs to spike Pendlebury and Swans dinner with salmonella.

Wish we had Fyfe :(

Should be a cracking game and I think we'll get up in a close one.

it's shaping as a classic eight point game!

It sure is.
We have already put ourselves at a disadvantage because we have lost our only game for the year vs two top 4 contenders in Hawks and ASADAdon.
Really need to win one, or hopefully two, over the next 2 weeks because they are our only crack this year at pies and swans too.

Heath did a lot right last night. You may not have seen it on tv but Collingwood were very static through the mids and HF region. St Kilda flooded worse than any Lyon coached side ever did.

Shaw was the one trying to break it up.

Fair enough. Always a better perspective at the ground.

It sure is.
We have already put ourselves at a disadvantage because we have lost our only game for the year vs two top 4 contenders in Hawks and ASADAdon.
Really need to win one, or hopefully two, over the next 2 weeks because they are our only crack this year at pies and swans too.

Crucial match up for the game is,who does creepy tag, pendles or swan?
****ing spewing we don't have fyfe next week, would've been great to have fyfe go H2H with pendles....

Collingwood travel extremely well and we will need to play the whole 4 quarters to be a chance

Jolly is a tough ask for Griff so we are going too need good support for him and all we have is Hannath or Clarke .

Hill should be right to return so selecting followers will be tough but Deboer did a great job as physical presence in the mids tonight and Duffield performed O\K as a defensive forward .

Crozier is probably the unlucky one to miss the game for Hill but Sutcliffe should be retained as the sub.
he had real impact when he came on especially in the midfield .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to see where our goals are going to come from. Their backs are monsters.
But we're getting most of our goals from smalls. We wouldn't be expecting our talls to win or even break-even. With Toovey out, do they have a recognised small defender?

A trip to Perth once a year or maybe Adelaide against the Crows would probably be the only time Collingwood players play in front of a crowd not mostly cheering for them. Can't be that hard to develop a siege mentality and get yourself up for that one game a year whereas we have to do it every second week.

Swan is really hard to tackle - probably strongest player through the core in the comp but Pendlebury is more damaging probably. For the need for tackling strength I would think Crowley to Swan and Gu or MDB to Pendlebury.

My observations on Collingwood's Clarke is that he's very slow. Either of our two smalls will cut him up.

Jolly is not the Jolly of yesteryear and i think Griffin will be fine. Griffin will be much more effective around the ground. Hannath is a perfect foil because he's a big solid unit with a bit of strength and will be able to hold his own. Jolly is not the super athlete like Ryder who constantly jumped a foot above our ruckman, he's more of a bash and crash which suits us fine.

They are very beatable.

They looked flat against St Kilda – the Sainters being a bottom five or six side, and a team who were missing shots, butchering handballs, and generally relying on four or five players.

Cloke is as big of a sook as Jack 'Trembling Lips' Riewoldt. If Lukey stays tight on him in the first quarter, he'll get to Cloke. He needs things to go his way, otherwise his gap between his best and worst is substantial.

Pendlebury wasn't huge against St Kilda but he's always capable of it. Swanny was copping some s**t in the crowd but I thought he was racking up a few touches and starting plenty of goals (or, what should've been goals). Whoever Crowley goes to, it'll be an interesting tussle.

The Pies are capable of being beaten, especially at Subi. No one is dumb enough to trea them with complacency, so we'll absolutely be on our a-game. Should be a good one.

The big Q-stick is an interesting match-up for us.

He's playing good footy and pushing high up onto the wings and even into defence for his touches.

Crucial match up for the game is,who does creepy tag, pendles or swan?
****ing spewing we don't have fyfe next week, would've been great to have fyfe go H2H with pendles....

I reckon he'll take Pendlebury. Swan just can't be prevented from racking them up anyway (ala Ablett) but I reckon Pendlebury's possessions are more dangerous. Similar to how other teams tag Hill instead of Mundy/Barlow.

Crowls on Pendelbry sounds right

Swan gets a lot of the ball backwards of centre so we don't want Crowley on him back there we get better service from him impacting on the score board .

What do you think about Duffield on Swan .

I know its a little out of the box and I expect some of you will think its crazy but he's a hard running defender and has the smarts to negate Swans influence but with Ibbo in the back 6 it maybe a good role for him to play.
Also if it doesn't work we can swing Deboer on to Swan and Duffield can take the defensive forward role.
With either case we haven't upset the back 6 or the balance of the team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back