Won: Premiership - 1984, 1985
Best and Fairest - 1982
Leigh Matthews Trophy - 1983
AFMA Player of the Year - 1984
All Australian - 1983, 1985 (c), 1988
Essendon Team of the Century
Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee

Departed: Retired at the end of the 1992 season

The first of eleven kids, Terry Daniher was born into a farming family in the Central West of New South Wales. Like most country boys, Daniher played sport from a young age, playing both Australian football and rugby league in his youth. After winning a premiership and best and fairests for Ungarie, Daniher was approached by South Melbourne to play for them. He only lasted two years with impatient Swans, finding it difficult to adjust to city life. At the end of 1977 he was traded to Essendon along with the rights to draft his brother Neale, a move that was to set up Essendon's Daniher dynasty.

Daniher played wherever he was needed. Although he was most renowned as a half forward, Daniher also played full forward, centre half back and full back whenever Sheedy asked him to go there. He quickly made a name for himself as not only a great player (having won the Crichton in 1982), but a great person as well. Friendly, down-to-earth and totally loyal to his teammates, it was hardly a surprise that he was to become captain in 1983, leading his team to back-to-back premierships in 84/85. The awards stopped coming during the next part of his career, but Daniher continued to be one of the best players in a Bombers' side that slipped into mediocrity for a few years.

For most players nearing the end of their career, a twelve game suspension in a Grand Final would see them finish up, but it was not so for Terry Daniher. He came back halfway through 1991, playing the rest of the season, and continued on in 1992, when he finished with another premiership in the reserves. After his retirement, Daniher went home to the Riverina, playing as captain/coach of the Wagga Tigers, winning five premierships and a state championship. He went on to be an assistant at Essendon, Collingwood, St Kilda and Carlton, before starting a property maintenance business with his brother, Anthony.

Last edited:

My idol as a young bloke. Reckless courage, would fly for anything....remember Tim Watson complaining that'd he'd frequently wipe out his own team mates....at training.

TD did the same things second after second,minute after minute,quarter after quarter, match after match and season after season.

Consistency is often under-rated in footy.

Last edited:
This bloke was entering his prime when I started following the Dons, in a team of stars he became a favourite in no time (only Madden surpassed him in my youthful eyes).

I don't have much to add beyond these 2 comments, he was just the ultimate competitor. From all reports, plus all footage I've seen of him, he's just a genuine, salt of the earth bloke too.

My idol as a young bloke. Reckless courage, would fly for anything....remember Tim Watson complaining that'd he'd frequently wipe out his own team mates....at training.

TD did the same things second after second,minute after minute,quarter after quarter, match after match and season after season.

Consistency is often under-rated in footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still want to know why he left South
My mother is an old South supporter and has a book by Jim Main, written in 1997, that covers their history.

I've read bits and I recall Main saying how livid he was when he left. And that was without the benefit of hindsight.

love Terry. caught the train to the footy with him about 2 years ago. bloody top bloke.... even shared a stubbie with me!

I had a 6-pack of beer in my bag. Van Der Haar was there too. I offered them both one but only Terry said yes.

embarrassing photo here
Photo proves TD was there. Your post proves that VanDer Haar could not have possibly been there.

Still want to know why he left South

It's all in the book The Danihers...which every Essendon supporter, no matter what age, should read.

I'll look it up later......something like Sth had a couple of tall forwards, Terry was the young gun....Sth needed a mid and were obsessed with getting Fields to their club. So they offered up T.D to us.

One of many absolute golden strokes of luck that we had during that '78 to 82' period when it came to recruits.

Tough, hard country boys that made up a large part of that 84'-85' machine...Terry from Sth...Neagle, Watson, Merrett, Hawker and a few others from the bush....awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back