Past Player of the Week - Terry Daniher

Remove this Banner Ad

It's all in the book The Danihers...which every Essendon supporter, no matter what age, should read.

I'll look it up later......something like Sth had a couple of tall forwards, Terry was the young gun....Sth needed a mid and were obsessed with getting Fields to their club. So they offered up T.D to us.

One of many absolute golden strokes of luck that we had during that '78 to 82' period when it came to recruits.

Tough, hard country boys that made up a large part of that 84'-85' machine...Terry from Sth...Neagle, Watson, Merrett, Hawker and a few others from the bush....awesome.
Vander Haar was another one who was not exactly a shrinking violet.

a post of mine awhile back in a different thread...

Talking about social drinkers...the stories of Terry Daniher are even better than Vanders. One writer couldn't find one past player who remembers T.D being pi$$'d. They say he just stands there for hours guzzling gallons of ale with no apparent signs of intoxication.

After the '84 GF, T.D traveled to Ireland with the gaelic aussie team and sampled the local drop by the bucket loads.

The team was invited to the Australian ambassador's residence for a dinner. Terry, as VC, was in charge of performing the public speaking duties.

from the book the Danihers..

Terry tapped the microphone looked out at the crowd. " G'day Mr Ambassador, I'd like to thank you and the missus for the drinks and the sangas, the were great. Ta. And if you're ever up in Ungarie look us up. We'll give you a feed and a place to stay".

Vander Haar was another one who was not exactly a shrinking violet.

Yep..so many hardnuts. Just the way Sheedy like em. Sheeds weeded out the weak and kept the nutters (who had skills of course).

Best one is T.D talking about how after a big Saturday night on the turps, no matter how bad the handover, he always went for a run the next day.

Sweat it out, have a feed and get back on it on Sunday arvos at the VFA games.

The bloke lived for hard footy, beer with mates and even harder training sessions.

No wonder Sheedy made him capt after Neale went down. Terry lead the way about how a league player should go about it..1980s style.

Yep..so many hardnuts. Just the way Sheedy like em. Sheeds weeded out the weak and kept the nutters (who had skills of course).

Best one is T.D talking about how after a big Saturday night on the turps, no matter how bad the handover, he always went for a run the next day.

Sweat it out, have a feed and get back on it on Sunday arvos at the VFA games.

The bloke lived for hard footy, beer with mates and even harder training sessions.

No wonder Sheedy made him capt after Neale went down. Terry lead the way about how a league player should go about it..1980s style.

5 km run wasn't it, and if you happened to crash/pass out at TDs place you were woken up and the run was a non-negotiable.

Apparently used to confuse Sheedy on occasions during team meetings, when he would somehow get a tractor into the conversation.

Hard as nails - I bet Gavin Brown is sorry he shaped up

haha, he's been on the wagon for a while now. grumpy fellow too.

I still want to see a photo of him when he was at South. I'm starting to think it's all a sham.
My cousin was playing for South at the time, I used to go to a lot of games at the lake oval, In the function room after the game I was trying to get Autographs, my cousin pointed at this bloke and said, did you get Terrys? I thought he was talking about souths gun Full back Terry O'neill and looked over and saw the freckliest bloke I had ever seen, didn't know him from a bar of soap...It was TD, was a lovely guy but they clearly flicked him for the freckles..Got his autograph and took me a year to figure out how fricken good he was...

Last edited:
My cousin was playing for South at the time, I used to go to a lot of games at the lake oval, In the function room after the game I was trying to get Autographs, my cousin pointed at this bloke and said, did you get Terrys? I thought he was talking about souths gun Full back Terry O'neill and looked over and saw the freckliest bloke I had ever seen, didn't know him from a bar of soap...It was TD, was a lovely guy but they clearly flicked him for the freckles..Got his autograph and took me a year to figure out how fricken good he was...

sweet! :D

showing your age there :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back