Paul Roos - not the messiah

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, but it's not a bad thing to see Roos receive a little reminder that not every coach has a premiership team at his disposal. What would Goodesy, Kirky, Teddy and Hally have done?

It's hard to get off your knees when people are kicking you back down.

Fair enough

Not what everyone said at the time, I can assure you.

Very true, Sydney under Roos always carried the stigma of being a team of blue-collar "battlers". During the great Sydney/West Coast rivalry the narrative put forth by the media/footy fans was always "a champion team vs a team of champions".

Suggesting otherwise is pure revisionism.

Anyone who says that Melbourne have not improved now from where they were two years ago clearly has no idea what they are talking about. Melbourne not only have more wins than 2012 but their percentage is something like 25% better. They are no longer being flogged and they are hanging in games a lot longer as well.

Yes today they won, and last week they lost , their opponents didn't beat them they beat themselves. They weren't going to drop today's after that!

Im not really sure how more is currently expected? Job performance has been adequate for such a basket case starting point.

Roos won't be there if/when Melbourne start challenging for the 8 but he has already brought in a core of players who can take Melbourne into finals in a few years. Melbourne's recruiting/trading in the last 2 seasons has been as good as anyones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roosy.jpg

Very true, Sydney under Roos always carried the stigma of being a team of blue-collar "battlers". During the great Sydney/West Coast rivalry the narrative put forth by the media/footy fans was always "a champion team vs a team of champions".

Suggesting otherwise is pure revisionism.
I don't remember such distinctions being made?
I do remember Sydney being accused of unattractive football, which they supplied.
But then I don't live in Melbourne or Perth so I have no idea what their media were spruiking at the time

Roos won't be there if/when Melbourne start challenging for the 8 but he has already brought in a core of players who can take Melbourne into finals in a few years. Melbourne's recruiting/trading in the last 2 seasons has been as good as anyones.
I like Roos and he has done what he set out to do, which was improve the culture and create a foundation on which to build. That said, when I look at melbournes list, I don't exactly see future finals contender.

I like Roos and he has done what he set out to do, which was improve the culture and create a foundation on which to build. That said, when I look at melbournes list, I don't exactly see future finals contender.
We've got a lot of talent coming back in the latter half of the year. Add Petracca and Trengove next year (plus whoever else we pick up), and our list is actually shaping up very nicely.

Or were you just trolling?

P.S. Roos continues doing a great job.

Last edited:

Breyshaw
Hogan
T.McDonald
Petracca
Salem
Toumpas
Trengrove
Tyson
Vandenberg
Viney

are all either really young or quite young and all of them you could build a team around. Other than Cross they do not really have anyone else that is approaching retirement age either so they have quite some time for their young players to develop.

We've got a lot of talent coming back latter half of the year. Add Petracca and Trengove next year (plus whoever else we pick up), and our list is actually shaping up very nicely.

Or were you just trolling?

P.S. Roos continues doing a great job.
Certainly not trolling. I have nothing against Melbourne and would be happy to see them do well.

I know they have some good young talent coming through but also have a few players (Dawes, Harry O) who aren't the players need to really give finals a shake. Also, top draft picks don't guarantee success, as Melbourne know.

That said, I've seen less of Melbourne this year than others so maybe I am underselling some of the kids behind the well known ones.

Certainly not trolling. I have nothing against Melbourne and would be happy to see them do well.

I know they have some good young talent coming through but also have a few players (Dawes, Harry O) who aren't the players need to really give finals a shake. Also, top draft picks don't guarantee success, as Melbourne know.

That said, I've seen less of Melbourne this year than others so maybe I am underselling some of the kids behind the well known ones.

Difference is that unlike in the past where Melbourne were just hoping their young players would come good they are now seeing their young players come good. It is true that players like Dawes, Lumumba, Cross and Vince won't be around for any premierships or anything like that but they are helping to develop the young kids so when they do retire the younger players can take over and not leave a massive vacuum.

The average footy fan has the attention span of a gold fish. With 18 teams in the comp it isn't easy to finish top 8 let alone top 4 or premiers. People honestly think a coach can come in a turnaround a club that has been under performing for decades overnight.

Roos is clearly setting the club up for a period of competitiveness and is ticking the boxes so far. He has recruited well and the team can stick to a game plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back