Paul Roos - not the messiah

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly not trolling. I have nothing against Melbourne and would be happy to see them do well.

I know they have some good young talent coming through but also have a few players (Dawes, Harry O) who aren't the players need to really give finals a shake. Also, top draft picks don't guarantee success, as Melbourne know.

That said, I've seen less of Melbourne this year than others so maybe I am underselling some of the kids behind the well known ones.
It's easy to get ahead of yourself in the aftermath of a win like that, but I've long believed we now have the core to build a contender around. The list is now in a very good place in terms of where we want to be in a couple of year's time.

I know they have some good young talent coming through but also have a few players (Dawes, Harry O) who aren't the players need to really give finals a shake.

You say that, and literally in the same breath mention two players who have won the premiership, and given multiple finals series "a good shake".

Every team has NQRs, including finals-bound and finals-winning teams. Even the top teams have a Spangher or a Duryea (or both). Very few teams are composed of 22 A graders. There just isn't that many A graders to go around. Geelong of 2009 is probably the closest.

Big footy posters ALWAYS have an unrealistic vision of what a list can look like.

(That said, Dawes is a poor man's Pedo these days).

The average footy fan has the attention span of a gold fish. With 18 teams in the comp it isn't easy to finish top 8 let alone top 4 or premiers. People honestly think a coach can come in a turnaround a club that has been under performing for decades overnight.

Roos is clearly setting the club up for a period of competitiveness and is ticking the boxes so far. He has recruited well and the team can stick to a game plan.
This is it. Roos is building from a low base. He has recruited well and 1 and a half seasons in we are clearly better.

It's easy to get ahead of yourself in the aftermath of a win like that, but I've long believed we now have the core to build a contender around. The list is now in a very good place in terms of where we want to be in a couple of year's time.

Beat 07-11 era Geelong is something to crow about
Beating Geelong circa 2015 is nothing to be proud of.

Beat 07-11 era Geelong is something to crow about
Beating Geelong circa 2015 is nothing to be proud of.
Jerk....dont watch much footy outside of your 'back to back premiers' team do you?
The demons were missing 6 best 22 players, and beat the cats at the cattery, something we havent been able to do for TEN Fuc(ing years!
Yes its not the 2011 cats, but c'mon man, credit where credit is due?

Jerk....dont watch much footy outside of your 'back to back premiers' team do you?
The demons were missing 6 best 22 players, and beat the cats at the cattery, something we havent been able to do for TEN Fuc(ing years!

LOL Geelong 2015 are not much better than any other team on the lower end of the ladder.

Then he'd have to agree that Roos is a good coach.

That would break his cognitive dissonance.

LOL Geelong 2015 are not much better than any other team on the lower end of the ladder.

First to lay the boots in had we lost no doubt. Bad luck today bud.

First to lay the boots in had we lost no doubt. Bad luck today bud.

Actually it would have been business as usual :p

They beat them at Skilled on Enright's 300 game day. That's pretty good for a team that's been diabolically shithouse for seven or so years.

My point is Geelong are not the team they once were and are barely better than Carlton these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but the Hawks are the greatest team of all.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Any time I see one of your posts and feel myself having any kind of negative reaction, I remember that your life is spent trolling people who support football teams less successful than your own.

And then I feel kind of sorry for you.

In other news... GEAUXDEES!

Deserves to cop heat today. I've been a pretty staunch defender of him but he simply isn't coaching this group properly.

Lets look at the big picture. He comes to Melb in the 2013 offseason, obviously morale is really low so he employs a fairly defensive gameplan in 2014 to minimize beltings and slowly build confidence. We drastically reduce our average losing margin and increase our % by a bit over 10% (And double the win tally). After a smash and grab job against Essendon we are 4-8 and whilst this is pretty crap for most teams, this is far, far better than the Melbourne under Neeld. Just as we're thinking that, we lose 9 straight to finish 2014 and our stats drop dramatically (First half of the year we were top 8 for contested ball, we drop to 18th and also continue our garbage inside 50 counts).

2015 starts, we have what looks like a great win in round 1 vs the GC. Not only do we win in round 1 for the first time since 2005, but we score well over 100 points for the first time since 2013. Our form fluctuates a bit during the first half of the year but we have good wins against decent sides like the Tigers and Bulldogs, and have a huge win against Geelong.

This whole time our inside 50 counts fail to improve, as does our scoring (Despite scoring over 100 three times this year). I'd also wager our losing margin feels like it is higher this year than last year (Don't have the stat to confirm it for me). Our inside 50 count is still the worst, our tackle average is high but often we get out-tackled we just turn games into slogs so it is a bit deceiving.

Roos trying the defensive crap this year is not working whatsoever. I understood it in the first year, but now it is an outdated style of play that is hurting us more than it is helping. I'd much rather us take the game on and kick 12-14 goals every week and risk conceding 20+, instead we turn games into stoppage fests. Bit strange but it seems nearly 2 years on it still hasn't clicked that we aren't the Sydney team Roos has and I don't think it suits us playing this way. That Sydney team was the best tackling and clearance outfit (We are 14th for clearances this year) in the competition and had better footskills than people realized (They were very good at hitting targets inside 50, as for us LOL).

It is ******* frustrating watching how we played against the GC and Geelong (Took the game on) then we serve up that s**t today (No offence Saints, you're on the right track but you're not exactly leagues ahead of us and we shouldn't be playing like that). People say our list still sucks, but we should at least be learning the right way to play instead of this s**t.

Destined for bottom four. Again.

This should be Paul Roos team now. He's had long enough. How he can take his million dollar pay cheque with a straight face, I'll never know.

Paul Roos is being exposed for the unimaginitive, uninispriring politician that he is.

You couldn't wish a worse fate on someone than being a Melbourne supporter
Melbourne supporters and neutral supporters alike prematurely blew their wad when Roos was signed, consider the following factors:

- At Sydney he had COL luxury, an extra 10% in the salary cap is a huge advantage, he doesnt have this when he came to Melbourne.
- He was out of the game for 2 years, Leigh Matthews and a host of others have said being out of the game for 1 year is too long, who is to say Roos could keep up with modern game planning at the time? it seems his 'unimaginative and uninsipiring' game plan is now an issue which resonates this point.
- His tenure at the Swans including the flag was vastly overrated. You cant bank on blind luck for the rest of your career, "Nick DAVIS NICK DAVIS I SEE IT BUT I DONT BELIEVE IT" can only happen so many times and cannot be relied on with any confidence or consistency. That Nick Davis last quarter performance in the EF single handedly turned his tenure from mediocrity to relatively successful.
- Sydney is a wealthy club that is subsequently reflected by its ability to hire/keep quality personnel. Their development thus not surprisingly is leagues ahead, Melbourne relatively speaking is not a wealthy club and its development of players can be said to be the complete opposite. This is another luxury he cant rely on.

In short Sydney really gave Roos an 'optimal' working environment and with a few tons of luck allowed him to thrive. He does not have these luxuries at Melbourne and its not surprising his current tenure is unfulfilling.

Did anyone really think that Melbourne could be turned around in 39 games?
Or was everyone a little more realistic in thinking this would be a 3-5 year fix?

We have improved since he has taken over.......not a great game today, but the signs are definitely there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back