Toast Pav's 300th: Blubberfest #1

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon one of my favourite Pavlich moments was that final against Geelong down in the Troit last year. Nerves a plenty, everyone seemingly knew but never actually said that if Fremantle won that, Freo would be in the Grand Final. It was down the end I was in, the Cats kept just pushing it into the 50, and it was when Pav came in and split the pack and made that spoil. Grand Final bound from that moment. Everything seemed pretty appropriate about that.

Ran the full length of the ground to do it, too. Captain's spoil if I've ever seen one.

Reckon one of my favourite Pavlich moments was that final against Geelong down in the Troit last year. Nerves a plenty, everyone seemingly knew but never actually said that if Fremantle won that, Freo would be in the Grand Final. It was down the end I was in, the Cats kept just pushing it into the 50, and it was when Pav came in and split the pack and made that spoil. Grand Final bound from that moment. Everything seemed pretty appropriate about that.

Ran the full length of the ground to do it, too. Captain's spoil if I've ever seen one.

From 19 minutes:

I ended up watching the whole quarter :) our finest hour.
Gees Hill was good in that quarter. and you can see the difference a fit & in form Mayne and Spurr make!

Haha I watched the whole quarter too - so much joy!

And yes, add De Boer to that list :(

I only discovered football because of pav. Bored on the weekend, I watched the footy, which seemed more interesting than the midday movie. It was against North, and freo were wearing their heritage jumpers. Pav just won the game, it was an absolute nail biter. He was simply unstoppable. I hardly knew the rules to footy, but I could tell that he was just better than everyone else on the field. I just hate the thought of freo without the great man.

Wish I'd watched all 300 of his games.

I only discovered football because of pav. Bored on the weekend, I watched the footy, which seemed more interesting than the midday movie. It was against North, and freo were wearing their heritage jumpers. Pav just won the game, it was an absolute nail biter. He was simply unstoppable. I hardly knew the rules to footy, but I could tell that he was just better than everyone else on the field. I just hate the thought of freo without the great man.

Not all of them were that enjoyable team-wise - but in terms of individual brilliance they were some of the best you could ever see :thumbsu:

Great match, great performance.

For mine one of his best efforts was the final in 2012 against Geelong.

Everyone knew he was injured. Could barely walk and after setting up the win in the first quarter had to come back on and finish the job in the last. I remember everything about that goal. By all rights he shouldn't have been on the field and he still "sold some foot candy" before slotting it from 45. Yes "you are a superstar Matthew Pavlich".

I only discovered football because of pav. Bored on the weekend, I watched the footy, which seemed more interesting than the midday movie. It was against North, and freo were wearing their heritage jumpers. Pav just won the game, it was an absolute nail biter. He was simply unstoppable.

For mine one of his best efforts was the final in 2012 against Geelong.

Everyone knew he was injured. Could barely walk and after setting up the win in the first quarter had to come back on and finish the job in the last. I remember everything about that goal. By all rights he shouldn't have been on the field and he still "sold some foot candy" before slotting it from 45. Yes "you are a superstar Matthew Pavlich".

2 of his top 5 games there for me. The other 3 that come to mind:

- kicking 8(?) goals in the 2nd half against the Crows in Adelaide as we just missed a comeback win
- Subi against the Cats when he and Ablett had their shootout
- Outscoring the whole eagles team in a derby

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't actually remember Fremantle without Pavlich. I would've been 9 years old when he debuted. I'm going to be an incredible mess when he retires :(

Would be sort of nice to be this young, but I would not swap it for my treasured memories of watching D K Lillee, Jeff Thomson, Rod Marsh and the Chappell brothers live at the WACA whilst growing up. Sorry about bringing up cricket but I was talking to some young-uns from NSW and New Zealand ( holidaying in Phuket at the moment) and they were aw struck that I had see DK live at the WACA they went Nooooooo you didn't ( way to make me feel old you bastards).

Would be sort of nice to be this young, but I would not swap it for my treasured memories of watching D K Lillee, Jeff Thomson, Rod Marsh and the Chappell brothers live at the WACA whilst growing up. Sorry about bringing up cricket but I was talking to some young-uns from NSW and New Zealand ( holidaying in Phuket at the moment) and they were aw struck that I had see DK live at the WACA they went Nooooooo you didn't ( way to make me feel old you bastards).
I remember seeing Lilly & Thommo nearly kill Cowdrey at the WACA in 74 I think. Thommos runup & how high & hard it was bouncing into marsh's gloves & the noise it made thumping into boycotts body & the oohs & aahs if the crowd when it did. Never forget that. A real gladiator pit it was.

Last edited:
I remember seeing Lilly & Thommo nearly kill Boycott at the WACA in 74 I think. Thommos runup & how high & hard it was bouncing into marsh's gloves & the noise it made thumping into boycotts body & the oohs & aahs if the crowd when it did. Never forget that. A real gladiator pit it was.

And one of Thomson's bouncers almost reaching the boundary line on the full! Also remember Lillee pushing of the boundary line as a joke for the crowd one day. Will never forget the Lillee - Lillee - Lillee - Kill - Kill - Kill chant, not acceptable now of course and terrifying for any batsmen.

I remember seeing Lilly & Thommo nearly kill Boycott at the WACA in 74 I think. Thommos runup & how high & hard it was bouncing into marsh's gloves & the noise it made thumping into boycotts body & the oohs & aahs if the crowd when it did. Never forget that. A real gladiator pit it was.
I wonder if people will talk about Mitchell Johnson's season in a similar vein in the future. It's a long time since I saw a batsman afraid to face a bowler but he managed both here and in South Africa.

I wonder if people will talk about Mitchell Johnson's season in a similar vein in the future. It's a long time since I saw a batsman afraid to face a bowler but he managed both here and in South Africa.

Absolutely agree that Johnson is the first Aussie bowler I have seen that returned us to the fear in the eyes days of Lillee and Thommo. To do it in South Africa against the worlds best batsmen means that Johnson did rate in the same light. Best fast bowling I have seen in years.

Look at you oldies reminisce the good old days! :p
Not sure how good they were. It would be considered insanity what Cowdrey did today. Basically the guy hadn't played cricket for about a year, was like 43 years old and England were so ****ed they called him up and begged him to come over and be cannon fodder. The guy flew half way around the world, had one net session and then went out and faced up to Thommo and Lillee on the fastest pitch in world cricket. And remember back then there were no helmets, no arm guards, no padding except pads, a box and gloves. Apparently Cowdrey went down and introduced himself to Thommo as was the custom where he came from. Thommo's reply was a little on the short side by all accounts. Google it if you like, its a good story and there is lots of stuff on the net about it but I'll never forget the sound of those balls thudding into Cowdrey's upper body. You could hear it from the boundary.

I do. It was awful.

Unfortunately the first few years with him were awful too - but it is that experience that also contributes to the man - his fortitude and loyalty cemented and shown in the hardest times when he and everyone was certainly asking a few questions (if only quietly to themselves).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back