PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nvidia had a quote on their marketing website from HUB. o_O

Again, which is why I'm still convinced it was to do with their social media comments and not reviews and I think they're being very disengenous about it. Unless I'm blind they've also taken down their poll from the day before this drama about what people think is an acceptable frame rate with features like RT after they were basically inferring people like me who bought a 3080 are idiots for not preferring 100+ fps. Just go back to when Digital Foundry had an exclusive, sponsored preview of the 3080. Steve spent a full day on Twitter shitting on it. Richard made no allusion that it wasn't sponsored, made it clear it was his own subjective impressions and that we should wait for the hard numbers from reviewers. I think I even posted it here. It was so cringe.

Everyone wins now. Since HUB announced they had been dropped they released two Cyberpunk videos so NVIDIA got their coverage they wanted, NVIDIA backpeddled and get to save face, and the rest of the tech tubers get to protect their own interests and got to pile on and now can say what they want with impunity because NVIDIA won't do it again any time soon.

Well, I was wrong. This laptop is basically hitting 1080p 60fps most things on Ultra or High Quality.

Only game so far with any performance issues is Planet Zoo and that game gives top-line PCs fits. So pretty stoked.

So trying to run Cyberpunk 2077 has made me realize my PC needs a pretty decent upgrade. My experience is currently being pretty ruined on the minimum settings. I've played around a bit but finding it hard to get past the drag / lower texture quality and peoples faces occasionally not loading right away.

Other games I've played recently like Doom Eternal and The Outer Worlds both ran smooth but this PC is now 5 years old.

My specs are currently

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHZ
RAM: 16 gb

My guess is my graphics card is terribly outdated. Should I be looking at the RTX3080? And potentially a CPU upgrade too?

Also any recommendations on a decent monitor to make the most out of any upgrades? My current one is nothing special.

The CPU is right on the limit of what is okay for new AAA games in terms of not severely bottlenecking decent GPUs.

At current (inflated) prices the Radeon 6800XT is better value even without the RT performance or DLSS, but you'd be happy with any of the RTX 3070, 3080 or aforementioned 6800XT if you could actually get one

As for monitors, high refresh 27" 1440p monitors are the sweet spot for those higher end GPUs, so something like the Dell S2721DGF which is ~$650 on sale, or the budget ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD for closer to $400. The Gigabyte M27Q for $549 is also a worthy recommendation

Cyberpunk is a pretty bad metric for requiring an upgrade lol. It's just a really punishing game. Not going to be able to get anything before Christmas but by January hopefully we'll hear something about the 6700xt as that might be the sweet spot. 6800xt or 3080 if you've got money to burn (and if you can find either) but not necessary, and 3070 is hard to justify at the price. The 3060ti is a solid option at 1080p and 1440p though and a more palatable price. Anything beyond a 3060ti and I'd personally start questioning the CPU as a potential bottleneck anyway.

I'd personally start questioning the CPU as a potential bottleneck anyway.

Its the equivalent of a Ryzen 1700 - not great, but still useable with a lower end GPU. I think I agree with you that if omgfridge were to get a GPU better than a 3060Ti that a CPU upgrade would be warranted given he'd probably be leaving 50% of the GPUs capability on the table with his current CPU

Its the equivalent of a Ryzen 1700 - not great, but still useable with a lower end GPU. I think I agree with you that if omgfridge were to get a GPU better than a 3060Ti that a CPU upgrade would be warranted given he'd probably be leaving 50% of the GPUs capability on the table with his current CPU

I was just going a little more from personal experience than anything written down. I had a 980 with a 4690 and upgraded to a 1080ti. The 1080ti would hardly get above 70% usage while the 4690 was struggling and also getting some weird behaviour in games. That's when I decided to rebuild with a 8700k. I know the 4790 is going to have a bit more headroom than my old i5 but just thinking in like for like terms that a 3060ti is supposed to be ahead of the 2080 super which was then around the 1080ti. So it's pretty borderline.

I've got a 4790 and 1650 Super which can handle Cyberpunk at medium 1080p, getting about 40fps. It's not great but it is playable. I think 1660 Super would be the limit before bottlenecks kick in

The CPU is right on the limit of what is okay for new AAA games in terms of not severely bottlenecking decent GPUs.

At current (inflated) prices the Radeon 6800XT is better value even without the RT performance or DLSS, but you'd be happy with any of the RTX 3070, 3080 or aforementioned 6800XT if you could actually get one

As for monitors, high refresh 27" 1440p monitors are the sweet spot for those higher end GPUs, so something like the Dell S2721DGF which is ~$650 on sale, or the budget ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD for closer to $400. The Gigabyte M27Q for $549 is also a worthy recommendation
Thank you. Alright I'll look at those too, won't be buying these parts right away so hopefully anything out of stock is back in by time I figure what I'm doing. Sounds like I probably should upgrade the GPU too.

Cyberpunk is a pretty bad metric for requiring an upgrade lol. It's just a really punishing game. Not going to be able to get anything before Christmas but by January hopefully we'll hear something about the 6700xt as that might be the sweet spot. 6800xt or 3080 if you've got money to burn (and if you can find either) but not necessary, and 3070 is hard to justify at the price. The 3060ti is a solid option at 1080p and 1440p though and a more palatable price. Anything beyond a 3060ti and I'd personally start questioning the CPU as a potential bottleneck anyway.
Yeah I know but I do want to be able to play it nicely. Plus no upgrades besides my mouse/keyboard for 5 years I'm probably due anyway. I'm going to price everything up to see how much money I can burn regardless. Considering a new tower etc as current set up sounds like a lawnmower when I run games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you. Alright I'll look at those too, won't be buying these parts right away so hopefully anything out of stock is back in by time I figure what I'm doing. Sounds like I probably should upgrade the GPU too.

970's have 3.4GB usable memory, which I imagine is a big reason why it shits the bed running Cyberpunk.

I can also recommend that Dell S2721DGF monitor, I picked one one for a bit over $500 and it was well worth it.

I just picked up some cheap ass 24" LG monitors for $149 SGD

And some vesa mount arms, so I'm loving life with the desk space at the moment.

I wouldn't have bothered if there were GPU's to be bought though

omgfridge : We basically had the same PC. Moving from a 970 to a 1080Ti would be enough for you I think.

Epic game store give away starts in a couple of days, some great games there by the look of it.

Make sure you keep an eye out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
There's a list floating around with a stack of AAA games (Borderlands 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc) which is generally regarded as BS.

I found this comment on Reddit which is a little more reaslistic:
Predictions from that Korean datamining site: Oddworld New 'n' Tasty, Night in the Woods, Darkest Dungeon, Jurassic World Evolution, Sonic Mania

Games that have previously been announced as free giveaways but then pulled: Wargame: Red Dragon, Conan Exiles, Pandemic

EA Play on Xbox PC Game Pass has been delayed till "sometime in 2021", it WAS due on the 15th
better not take too long wanted to play Fifa with my mate with the $1 for 3 months deal (already signed up to play some other games too)

dwwaino I do recall you having some temperature issues but that it could have been because of incorrect readings. Hoping someone is able to please provide me some advice.

5900X installed with a H100i SE running 4 (2 case, H510i which I wish I went bigger) QL120 fans. 2 connected to the pumps splitter, the others a PWM splitter to the board. I am booting up at near 60c and it will idle at 50-60c. Checked with just about every monitoring software possible (CoreTemp/Ryzen Master included). iCUE (NZXT CAM not installed) has the pump head temp at 25-30c, both H100i fans running on quiet at around 600 rpm (seems low?).

Edit: Obviously, I am not versed in fan speeds and the like, but if I set full speed in the BIOS I can get things down to mid-high 40s, a bit loud though.

Last edited:
dwwaino I do recall you having some temperature issues but that it could have been because of incorrect readings. Hoping someone is able to please provide me some advice.

5900X installed with a H100i SE running 4 (2 case, H510i which I wish I went bigger) QL120 fans. 2 connected to the pumps splitter, the others a PWM splitter to the board. I am booting up at near 60c and it will idle at 50-60c. Checked with just about every monitoring software possible (CoreTemp/Ryzen Master included). iCUE (NZXT CAM not installed) has the pump head temp at 25-30c, both H100i fans running on quiet at around 600 rpm (seems low?).

Edit: Obviously, I am not versed in fan speeds and the like, but if I set full speed in the BIOS I can get things down to mid-high 40s, a bit loud though.

In Ryzen Master or BIOS is PBO or auto OC enabled or anything? Have you also let it sit for a while and then come back to have a look? Whenever a process happens it's not uncommon go spike to 50-60+. When I first boot up I get those temps but once it settles down i get high 30s/low 40s depending on ambient.

Those low fan speeds would be due to a silent fan/cooling profile. On water you don't need the fans to reaxt to every subtle change. I'm nearly home and will take a shot of my fan profile and will explain why.

In Ryzen Master or BIOS is PBO or auto OC enabled or anything? Have you also let it sit for a while and then come back to have a look? Whenever a process happens it's not uncommon go spike to 50-60+. When I first boot up I get those temps but once it settles down i get high 30s/low 40s depending on ambient.

Those low fan speeds would be due to a silent fan/cooling profile. On water you don't need the fans to reaxt to every subtle change. I'm nearly home and will take a shot of my fan profile and will explain why.
Appreciate the response!
No Auto OC or PBO.

I let it sit with nothing open since my last post and it still idles high, looked a few times and it was mid-high 50s and at one point in the 70s before I restarted to check BIOS settings.

This all with the case fully open and un cable managed too.

I let it sit with nothing open since my last post and it still idles high, looked a few times and it was mid-high 50s and at one point in the 70s before I restarted to check BIOS settings.
At idle? I'd be re-applying thermal paste/re-installing the CPU block if that is the case

Your fans should be reacting to your coolant temp, not your CPU temp, so they will slowly ramp if required.

I run a 3950x with 2x 360 mm rads. My CPU idles around 50c. But I live in Singapore and my ambient temp is quite high.

my CPU temp over ambient is around 25-30c

See here:

1608186153884.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back