Pearce Hanley - bags out young Lions players who wanted trade home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Blue and Gold Blood

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
west coast
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...former-teammates/story-fniv5zar-1226746874466

THE "Go Home Five" will not be missed at the Gabba.

The homesick Lions quintet of Billy Longer (St Kilda), Jared Polec (Port Adelaide), Sam Docherty (Carlton), Elliot Yeo (West Coast) and Patrick Karnezis (Collingwood) all returned to their home states in the last two days of AFL Trade period, effectively wiping out the 2010 and 2011 draft for Brisbane.

Lions stars Tom Rockliff and Pearce Hanley took to Twitter to fire parting shots at the departing players, with Hanley tagging his message #mummiesboysarehomenow.

Yep agreed the home sickness thing is bullshit these days, more of a smokescreen for the real reason they want to leave.

Well rather than accuse them of being mummies boys, how about they look at the reasons why they dont want to stay at the Lions. Just abusing people who leave may just be a smokescreen for whatever problems may be at the heart of the players decision.

a5dnn7q_700b.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I'd been fortunate enough to be drafted and was drafted to a Brisbane or Adelaide team I'd be out of that city quick smart when the chance arose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sydney manages to attract playerss and Sydney is god awful place to live. Must be more than venue

Good on him.

This homesick crap is exactly that. If you don't want to be drafted into another state find another career, bunch of bloody princesses.

Young blokes have just as much right to choose where they play as anyone.

Brissy players/staff abusing people on Twitter is maybe part of the culture these kids want to get away from.

#stopsookingyaleprechaun

One of the kids needs to counter it. Be honest. They are leaving because Brisbane at the moment is a rabble, unless there are unknown family/personal issues which is reasonable enough.

I don't think all five are homesick, and if they are then it suggests there is an endemic problem at Brisbane which is incumbent on the club to fix.

Well rather than accuse them of being mummies boys, how about they look at the reasons why they dont want to stay at the Lions. Just abusing people who leave may just be a smokescreen for whatever problems may be at the heart of the players decision.

The club will be without a doubt doing this over the coming months...didn't realise player welfare was in Hanleys job description. It's not like it was a member of the welfare staff or something.

I think homesickness is a valid reason for some. We're talking about 20-21 year olds here. Being good enough to be drafted and play a game with men doesn't automatically mean you are mature enough to deal with moving to another city.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back