Peel Thunder - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Pav isn't really key forward size these days. I reckon play Smith at FF with Tabs at CHF for the afl team for the rest of the year. Pav as a 3rd tall, Yarran, Balla and Walters at their feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So every AFL based player pretty much dominating. Are Perth just that poor?
De Boer with 26 disposals, 2 goals and 10 tackles
Suban with 22 disposals, 8 tackles and 3 goals.
C. Pearce with 30 disposals, 11 marks.
Tanner Smith 25 disposals, and 12 marks! Nice game from him.
Langdon, Ibbo and Hughes also with 20 or more disposals.
Playing Perth is less competitive than an intra club scratchie......and I barrack for them

Tanner's recent form is promising. Doesn't seem to be getting many goals but running further upfield and a lot of marks.

I hope Collins van sort out his kicking as otherwise he shows promise from the games I have seen him play.

Tanner's recent form is promising. Doesn't seem to be getting many goals but running further upfield and a lot of marks.

I hope Collins van sort out his kicking as otherwise he shows promise from the games I have seen him play.
Tanner has been helping out in the ruck a bit. His kicking for goal is so so - not a penetrating so will need to stay close to goal. I think he is worth a game up front to see how he travels.

Not much to add to the excellent reports from apuchar and Jack Dusty. It was a beautiful day at Mandurah and Peel played their best game for the year. Opposition was very poor, but I guess you can only play who turns up on the day.

The big surprise for me over the past couple of weeks has been Tanner Smith. I had seen glimpses last year, but he was very disappointing in the early games this year. The last few games though, he is like a different man. Runs hard to present a target, takes some really good marks and shows a bit of pace for his size. His kicking is still suspect, and he took some really dumb pass options, but is definitely working his way into contention for an upgrade I think.

On Suban, although he spent most of the day in the centre I have to say I was really disappointed with him. He is just a congester - he dives on the ball, has no evasive skills and while he did show some burst out of congestion at WAFL level he still gets caught over the ball way too often. The modern game relies on keeping the ball in play, Suban is the anithesis of this. Under our "old" game plan that was not such a bad thing as it allowed us to congest the play and keep it tight and dirty, but I hope to not see him at Fremantle until he learns to open the play up. I think he would be better as an outside receiver where he can use his long left boot, but I just don't think he has the pace to be really dangerous.

Yarran is a way off, but showed in the first quarter just what he could add to the team - GOALS! He is quick, can take a mark and knows where the goals are. Obviously short of a gallop, but I think we will see him in our forward line before too long.

Langdon got a lot of it, but his disposal and decision making was not great today, I'd leave him at Peel for a bit longer. Has a lot of upside but did not earn a recall today.

Best (of the Freo players) for me were: Smith, DeBoer, Ibbo, Nyhuis. Clancee got a lot of it but I think he was being used as a "designated kicker" as most of his ball was uncontested, but his kicking was good.

Special mention to Bootsma again - I would love to see us pick him up as a rookie. His kicking is superb and he is one of those players who can open the play up by spotting AND HITTING a target 50 - 60 metres away. Loved his work today.

Pav isn't really key forward size these days. I reckon play Smith at FF with Tabs at CHF for the afl team for the rest of the year. Pav as a 3rd tall, Yarran, Balla and Walters at their feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still have Apeness to come in. Will probably play for Peel next week. I think he is a far more likely candidate for FF personally. Even better if we have two candidates or perhaps three with Ueber.

Still have Apeness to come in. Will probably play for Peel next week. I think he is a far more likely candidate for FF personally. Even better if we have two candidates or perhaps three with Ueber.
Apeness is a really interesting one. He just seems to have been injured for so long. Has anyone seen him play a really good game at full forward - even at WAFL level?

Apeness is a really interesting one. He just seems to have been injured for so long. Has anyone seen him play a really good game at full forward - even at WAFL level?
He played at Full Forward with Eastern Rangers before we drafted him. Took 46 contested marks and kicked 25 goals in that season. He played most of 2014 for Peel. He was solid enough that he earned a senior debut (round 16?) but he was in and out with injury all season. He hasn't been a massive goal scorer (3 goal haul is his best at WAFL I think) but he at least brings the ball to ground and gets the small into the game. Plus he's a solid ruck - so a real forward that can also ruck. We haven't seen him for so long but I'd expect he has matured mentally a lot in the past year or so - and I think we know from Tabs how important the mind is, so am bullish he'll have improved a fair bit even though he hasn't played in so long. Will still need time though to settle back in. Him and Yarran in the Peel forward line will be good to watch next week.

If Blakely, Tucker and co are playing over Suban and De Boer etc then a fit Apeness should being playing fwd ruck over Griffin or Clarke. He may be very underdone but he can't be much worse than either of them.

Seems almost ironic that if Apeness comes in to he team next week, the Peel forward line is almost too tall...

B Ibbotson Collins Nyhuis
HB C.Pearce Bootsma Hughes
C Morabito Suban Ugle
HF Deluca Uebergang Mzungu
FF Smith Apeness Yarran
FOL Hannath DeBoer O'Brien
INT Langdon Walsh Bell Thorne Lawler McMahon

Assumes no changes to Dockers (expect at least one) and one of our players here will be the senior's reserve, so won't play (not Mzungu again).

Seems almost ironic that if Apeness comes in to he team next week, the Peel forward line is almost too tall...

B Ibbotson Collins Nyhuis
HB C.Pearce Bootsma Hughes
C Morabito Suban Ugle
HF Deluca Uebergang Mzungu
FF Smith Apeness Yarran
FOL Hannath DeBoer O'Brien
INT Langdon Walsh Bell Thorne Lawler McMahon

Assumes no changes to Dockers (expect at least one) and one of our players here will be the senior's reserve, so won't play (not Mzungu again).
I dont see that Line-up as too tall ...
2 genuine KPF's in SMith and Uebergang. Smith also plays further from goal and competes hard up the ground.
1 Forward/Ruck in Apeness.
And Yarran is mid-size and can play tall, but also has the skill/pace to play smaller, making the 4 tall system work
Besides - Adelaide 'the best forward line in the comp' play a 4 tall side.

I do agree that the forward line is to slow however.

Special mention to Bootsma again - I would love to see us pick him up as a rookie. His kicking is superb and he is one of those players who can open the play up by spotting AND HITTING a target 50 - 60 metres away. Loved his work today.

There must (still) be some serious non-footy concerns with Bootsma for him to not even get a rookie list spot somewhere. From the few games I've seen, he does so many things well at WAFL level and, though not elite, you're spot on about his kicking. He has a beautiful long kick on him and he can find a target. He plays tall but is quite mobile and athletic. He reads the play pretty well. He's still young so there's plenty time to work with. Must have been at least close to getting another go at it.

We took a few tall prospects with lower picks last year, so fair enough, but I still reckon we could do a lot worse than not give him a shot ... maybe in this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I caught the first half today and I'm now officially excited about Yarran. He's such a beautifully smooth mover for a guy his size and he looked a class above when he was involved in the play.

Tanner Smith looks like a completely different player to the last time I saw him. Really impressed with his first qtr in particular. I don't know whether to be excited or depressed that he currently looks like the best KPF prospect on our list.

Peel got a great run with the umps for a change in the first half. Completely different to the reaming they usually cop when I've watched them play. Maybe we're finally getting some Freo supporting umps coming through the ranks - I swear at one point they were paid a mark from a kick that went about 6 metres, lol.

How old is Apeness?

Thanks for the reports everyone. Good to hear Yarran was being managed, it means that fitness, not a lack of concentration or effort, was behind his quieter 2nd half.

Very pleasing to hear of Tanner's improvement too - Freo has kept him on the list for ages now and worked hard to retain him... looks like their instincts might be right.

Thanks for the reports everyone. Good to hear Yarran was being managed, it means that fitness, not a lack of concentration or effort, was behind his quieter 2nd half.

Very pleasing to hear of Tanner's improvement too - Freo has kept him on the list for ages now and worked hard to retain him... looks like their instincts might be right.
Jeez if Yarran, Smith and Apeness all start playing consistent footy our forwards will really need to watch their backs.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

A couple of additional points from the other reports

As mentioned Ubergang didn't get a great deal of possessions but he showed he's capable of taking contested pack marks and the goal he kicked from the forward pocket was probably the goal of the day. Just looked really confident and struck it beautifully into the breeze, never looked like missing,

Bell from Peel looks a likely type, contests hard but also got some smarts.

Nyhuis was very impressive, got a bit to work with for sure

Yarran competed really well and knows how to kick goals. Excellent first half.

Smith presented nicely up forward and kicked a nice goal but then let himself down with a few efforts during the game

Yes. And in his AFL games he showed enough good signs to suggest he has the tools to succeed.

Not much to add to the excellent reports from apuchar and Jack Dusty.

Bootsma was good. Agree.

Tanner has been quite good up forward for Peel. He's big and athletic, so on that basis alone he's worth persisting with. He competes well in the air and on the ground, he's aggressive and goes hard at the man and the ball but his kicking is poor. Do we need another forward who can't kick goals?
The other thing is that, although he's dangerous inside F50, he quickly loses effectiveness when he moves up the ground. I know we're trying to develop flexible players but I'd prefer to let him play at FF for a whole game and for a number of weeks. Yes, he can compete in the ruck at WAFL level, but I don't think he would ever do more than pinch hit in the ruck at AFL level. Tanner is not a great footballer but players like him (yes Dawson I'm looking at you) can excel when asked to play a specific role, within a very tight set of parameters.

ydBFlFn.png

Uo37Ao3.png

Tanner has been quite good up forward for Peel. He's big and athletic, so on that basis alone he's worth persisting with. He competes well in the air and on the ground, he's aggressive and goes hard at the man and the ball but his kicking is poor. Do we need another forward who can't kick goals?
The other thing is that, although he's dangerous inside F50, he quickly loses effectiveness when he moves up the ground. I know we're trying to develop flexible players but I'd prefer to let him play at FF for a whole game and for a number of weeks. Yes, he can compete in the ruck at WAFL level, but I don't think he would ever do more than pinch hit in the ruck at AFL level. Tanner is not a great footballer but players like him (yes Dawson I'm looking at you) can excel when asked to play a specific role, within a very tight set of parameters.

I reckon that's who he is being held over to replace.

Is there anyone who we can bring in to work with the goal kicking from set shots? Our conversion rates are getting beyond ridiculous now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back