2nds Peel Thunder 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah beaten by a team that wanted it more & more to the point looked like a team that trained together & played together all year rather than a thrown together mob of our seconds & some Peel boys struggling for any cohesion.

Brody wasn’t awful. He had 25 & worked hard but didn’t seem to have anyone around him on the same page. Ditto Wilson, looked like he was playing by himself rather than as part of a group.
Davis has nice composure & a decent footy brain. Hamling a cut above. Colyer a few nice things.

Would have looked a lot different with Banners, Sturt, Erasmus, Stanley, Kuek. That was really the bottom of our barrel out there.
I thinks WAFL GF is incredibly hard for a Peel team to win, particularly when Freo have wrapped up their season almost a month ago. The guys heart will just never be in it like the other team (which is understandable).

Agree with mattis117 also in the player assessment. Peel guys really didn’t give a shout and too much was left to too few. Emmett had a lot of impact, Hamling was close to BOG, thought Reidy really competed but not much else to write home about. Disappointed the most in Davies after hyping him up to my mates

I thinks WAFL GF is incredibly hard for a Peel team to win, particularly when Freo have wrapped up their season almost a month ago. The guys heart will just never be in it like the other team (which is understandable).

Agree with mattis117 also in the player assessment. Peel guys really didn’t give a shout and too much was left to too few. Emmett had a lot of impact, Hamling was close to BOG, thought Reidy really competed but not much else to write home about. Disappointed the most in Davies after hyping him up to my mates
I think alot of Peels issues down back were they were one tall to many. No Marsh and East Freo had a lower the eyes entry drilled into them and executed it really well.
Wasn’t many intercept marking opportunities for Davies like the previous week. He will be an AFL player with another preseason and another 10kg. Looking forward to seeing how he progresses next year.
I thought Reidy look Ok too. Lots to work with.
Game was won because EF were to fast on the spread and when Peel did win 1st possession cut off the second and sent to there outside runners who hit targets.

I was at the game centre wing on the south side. None of the Freo boys were particularly poor in my view apart from O'driscoll who was woefull.
Reidy I'm not sure about he does a lot of good things but I'm not sure he's ever going to be good enough at them to justify a spot, as I don't see no. 1 AFL ruck in him.
Worner is Duman but with better agility. He's probably worth persisting with as depth as the one really black mark against him is composure which can be improved with experience. Does a lot of good stuff.
Wager would be a star if he wasn't so lightly framed.
Davies I thought was alright with all the ball coming in.
Hammer excellent but he blew his stack at the Peel guys a number of times which while it probably made him feel better is unlikely to have helped.
Emmett's defensive stuff is elite.
The rest are not worth reporting on being mostly old buggers. Biggest issue on the day were the senior Peel mids and flankers providing 0 spread. Hopeless. That and we had no apparent answer to the simple east freo tactic of hunting the target for our rucks tap in pairs (one to tackle, one for the spill).

To be fair Davies was under siege all match. Defence was sloppy from the bounce.

Emmett was okay, but just didn’t get the ball. Was a dog’s day out for any of the forwards.

I was at the game centre wing on the south side. None of the Freo boys were particularly poor in my view apart from O'driscoll who was woefull.
Reidy I'm not sure about he does a lot of good things but I'm not sure he's ever going to be good enough at them to justify a spot, as I don't see no. 1 AFL ruck in him.
Worner is Duman but with better agility. He's probably worth persisting with as depth as the one really black mark against him is composure which can be improved with experience. Does a lot of good stuff.
Wager would be a star if he wasn't so lightly framed.
Davies I thought was alright with all the ball coming in.
Hammer excellent but he blew his stack at the Peel guys a number of times which while it probably made him feel better is unlikely to have helped.
Emmett's defensive stuff is elite.
The rest are not worth reporting on being mostly old buggers. Biggest issue on the day were the senior Peel mids and flankers providing 0 spread. Hopeless. That and we had no apparent answer to the simple east freo tactic of hunting the target for our rucks tap in pairs (one to tackle, one for the spill).
Midfield never wised up to this. Too many inside contests that spilled out on the outside and away Easts went.
Brodie was so poor. He didn’t stamp himself anytime in the match. His disposal was floaty, lazy. Easts really did tag him, targeting both Bell and Brodie.

Would’ve been better to swap Emmett on the wing for Gray. Coach didn’t do much to change it up.

Midfield never wised up to this. Too many inside contests that spilled out on the outside and away Easts went.
Brodie was so poor. He didn’t stamp himself anytime in the match. His disposal was floaty, lazy. Easts really did tag him, targeting both Bell and Brodie.

Would’ve been better to swap Emmett on the wing for Gray. Coach didn’t do much to change it up.
Emmett and/or NOD could have gone inside. Couch was half asleep.

To be fair Davies was under siege all match. Defence was sloppy from the bounce.

Emmett was okay, but just didn’t get the ball. Was a dog’s day out for any of the forwards.
Yes
Wemm had 2 disposals
Corbett bugger all (5 possessions)

To be fair to Emmett - the ball barely got down he forward line. He had 7 and Middleton 8 (he did the 2 for 1 at one point roving his own kick that went 40m in the sky but only about 8m forward.

At least Emmett put on pressure when the ball did come down. I agree that he could have been thrown in the middle for a few short stints to try get some clearance spark. They mentioned this on radio commentary as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was one of our best I though
Reidy gave a solid effort but sorry i dont think he will ever be an afl player Every tap down he won (which was plenty) was just to his feet and Easts knew where it was going and roved to it, Given his size advantage he needed to charge into Macquire at centre bounces and put some fear into him
Also why not change it up and punch it forward sometimes like big oscar for brisbane (not sure if we have a Peel ruck coach ?)
Hope Knobel continues to develop next year as he shows some good traits and it would be great to get young Edwards from peel colts(think of all three he will turn out to be the best) but fear Egirls will get in before us
Brodie cant hurt opposition teams when he has ball in hand and cant play any other position (last time he took a contested mark ?)
Worner had absolute shocker
Well done to Wagner , Emmet and Hammer for having a fair dinkum crack at winning contested ball

Good points. Well made.

I couldn’t believe Peel had no answers to East Freo’s dominance at stoppage. Not a one.

Brodie was the biggest disappointment for me. I knew he wasn’t going to just dominate but he got monstered and when he did get the pill, his disposal was not good. Flat, helicopter punts going nowhere. Hand passes to grass. His one wood works best when there’s switched-on dudes with better skills there to receive his crafty hand passes out of trouble. Other than that, he’s got nothing. And he plainly thinks tackling is for other people.

Worner got caught HTB early just through inattention or a failure for a connection to be made in his brain. He did not improve greatly. I thought he was poor.

Emmett was denied opportunity but absolutely *en drilled two dudes in rundown tackles that were just ferocious. No other word for them. Mean.

Wagner came close to providing a spark in the middle later in the game but lacks size. Or something.

Davies seemed overwhelmed early and, frankly, had a mare. Hard to ruffle this bloke though and he got better.

O’Driscoll worries the s**t out of me. His freaky goals last season I thought were signs of something good. I think they have become a burden. A benchmark he is struggling with. He’s not being fast. He’s not being strong. He’s more often starting flat footed on the turnover. Caught on the hop. Body language is talking to me and I’m not enjoying what it’s saying.

I hope he has a productive, uninterrupted off and pre season. We need the kid who couldn’t believe his luck but used all of it.

Reidy is too polite. He has some tools and he’s a handy spare but he let McGuire be another option when the ball hit the deck. He needs to clear a path.

Hamling is demonstrably too good for WAFL. I enjoyed seeing him give his teammates a bake. Because it meant (a) he cares, but also (b) the thundery ones were unraveling.

I won’t talk about the ex-Dockers.

I do think we need to start talking about how soon this East Freo crew gets us to 33 flags. I’m tipping 2027. One off year to make it fairer for the lesser clubs.

Genuinely unsure whether that’s your reflection on his game yesterday or all his other games. 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not sure which. Maybe I need to watch a replay because I thought he did some really good things. Our mids got smashed so most of his work would have been defensive.

People saying the Freo players didn't care or have anything to play for are 100% wrong, that team that played has all played over half the season at Peel. I saw some suggesting cohesion problems too, its just not true, check the names, they all played tonnes of WAFL games this year, they were beaten by a well drilled footy team who has been the best all year.

I had a mate running the 3 quarter time sprint so got access to stadium parking, saw a few of the freo boys when I rocked up, It looked like Reidy had his parents over to watch the GF, yet some people are suggesting the Freo players didn't care? Just wrong IMO

I was sitting behind the goals and Hammer gave no30 (Blair?) an absolute bake after he should have chopped out a pass and just stood there. No30 had an absolute dog of a day so I’m thinking he didn’t respond well to the cook !

Not sure which. Maybe I need to watch a replay because I thought he did some really good things. Our mids got smashed so most of his work would have been defensive.

He had one good contest on the wing 1v2 which was good. But other than that he was woeful. After half time I moved to a more elevated position and watched NOD pretty closely. His man ran off him or past him in pretty much every contest. At one point another player from peel gave NOD a bake it was that bad.

People saying the Freo players didn't care or have anything to play for are 100% wrong, that team that played has all played over half the season at Peel. I saw some suggesting cohesion problems too, its just not true, check the names, they all played tonnes of WAFL games this year, they were beaten by a well drilled footy team who has been the best all year.

I had a mate running the 3 quarter time sprint so got access to stadium parking, saw a few of the freo boys when I rocked up, It looked like Reidy had his parents over to watch the GF, yet some people are suggesting the Freo players didn't care? Just wrong IMO

Yeah nonsense. Wagner had 15(!) tackles. You don’t have that many tackles if you don’t give a s**t lol.

The best players for peel were probably hammers, Wagner and maybe Brodie (I know a lot of people didn’t like his game but he was better than most). The rest our players were in the forward line which barely saw the ball. Though Corbett was rubbish.

Good points. Well made.

I couldn’t believe Peel had no answers to East Freo’s dominance at stoppage. Not a one.

Brodie was the biggest disappointment for me. I knew he wasn’t going to just dominate but he got monstered and when he did get the pill, his disposal was not good. Flat, helicopter punts going nowhere. Hand passes to grass. His one wood works best when there’s switched-on dudes with better skills there to receive his crafty hand passes out of trouble. Other than that, he’s got nothing. And he plainly thinks tackling is for other people.

Worner got caught HTB early just through inattention or a failure for a connection to be made in his brain. He did not improve greatly. I thought he was poor.

Emmett was denied opportunity but absolutely *en drilled two dudes in rundown tackles that were just ferocious. No other word for them. Mean.

Wagner came close to providing a spark in the middle later in the game but lacks size. Or something.

Davies seemed overwhelmed early and, frankly, had a mare. Hard to ruffle this bloke though and he got better.

O’Driscoll worries the s**t out of me. His freaky goals last season I thought were signs of something good. I think they have become a burden. A benchmark he is struggling with. He’s not being fast. He’s not being strong. He’s more often starting flat footed on the turnover. Caught on the hop. Body language is talking to me and I’m not enjoying what it’s saying.

I hope he has a productive, uninterrupted off and pre season. We need the kid who couldn’t believe his luck but used all of it.

Reidy is too polite. He has some tools and he’s a handy spare but he let McGuire be another option when the ball hit the deck. He needs to clear a path.

Hamling is demonstrably too good for WAFL. I enjoyed seeing him give his teammates a bake. Because it meant (a) he cares, but also (b) the thundery ones were unraveling.

I won’t talk about the ex-Dockers.

I do think we need to start talking about how soon this East Freo crew gets us to 33 flags. I’m tipping 2027. One off year to make it fairer for the lesser clubs.
Accurate comments about Brodie and Reidy

I think alot of Peels issues down back were they were one tall to many. No Marsh and East Freo had a lower the eyes entry drilled into them and executed it really well.
Wasn’t many intercept marking opportunities for Davies like the previous week. He will be an AFL player with another preseason and another 10kg. Looking forward to seeing how he progresses next year.
I thought Reidy look Ok too. Lots to work with.
Game was won because EF were to fast on the spread and when Peel did win 1st possession cut off the second and sent to there outside runners who hit targets.

Agree with that. Big part of Peel's game is the rebound out of defence but the way EF brought it into their forward line and kept it in there took that away. They didn't mind going in via the boundary and if they went through the middle they'd change the angle to accommodate their smaller forward line set-up. It probably contributed to EF having a few difficult shots on tight angles.

Peel like to win it in defence and use a little short switch kick into the middle then the half backs run through a narrow corridor take the handball and overlap but you barely saw any of that kind of play from the likes of Bennell, Wilson, Worner and Anderson. EF were excellent in pressuring, stopping the chains and turning it over. They seemed faster - I don't know whether they were if you line up player on player, maybe they were just more focused on what had to be done. They demonstrated that intent early in the game when both Worner and Wagner were caught in possessions.

Peel seemed to get a lot of first hands in the contests off the ruck but couldn't win the clearances. They shoveled it out towards a team-mate but EF would pounce on the loose ball first. They were too slow to spread too with Bell and Brodie - only Wagner could run away from the opposition but even he chased got around the congested of players and had to mostly kick it long and around the corner into the forward 50m. Brodie got a couple of breaks but his kicking wasn't damaging.

Also thought EF handled the pressure better with their skills and when they had the ball their team-mates ran to spaces to give them options. One of their goals in the 2nd quarter (from memory) kicked by B McGuire was just from a series of forward possessions where every player was under the pump and they just kept moving it forward (almost in peak Richmond style) until it got to the forward pocket and McGuire kicked it off one step around the corner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back