Pendles stepping down ahead of 2023 season

Remove this Banner Ad

GCMagpie

Team Captain
Jul 1, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
As per member email:

Collingwood’s longest-serving Captain Scott Pendlebury has today advised his teammates and the wider Club that he will hand over the reins ahead of the 2023 season.

Pendlebury’s career as Captain of Collingwood is a legendary one.

In January 2014, the then 25-year-old Pendlebury was appointed as Captain to replace Nick Maxwell. He went on to lead the side for nine consecutive years and was named the AFLPA’s Best Captain in 2020 and 2022.

“To Captain an AFL Club is one of the greatest honours and it is not something I have ever taken for granted,” Pendlebury said.

“It has been an absolute privilege to lead this side for as long as I have.

“At 34 years of age and in the twilight of my career, I felt that this is the optimal time to hand over the position and support the next Captain of our Club.

“I have experienced all the great football highs and lows throughout my nine-year tenure as Captain and I look forward to seeing the next person take the opportunity and make it their own.

“This year, I have shared in what feels like a new era of Collingwood – with new coaches, staff and a young playing group – and we have all witnessed what we have been able to create. It seems timely that we welcome a new Captain for season 2023.”

Pendlebury has played 358 games for the Club and led Collingwood as Captain on 206 occasions. Both are Club records. He has played more matches at the MCG than any player in league history (224 games).

This year the veteran showed no signs of slowing down finishing the E. W. Copeland Medal count in second place. Pendlebury has finished top three in the Copeland count in the last 14 of his 17 seasons in the black and white.

The Club will soon put in place the process to appoint its 48th AFL Captain with the announcement to be made ahead of the 2023 season.

Pendlebury informed the playing group of his decision earlier today. Vision can be found on the Club’s website.

Pendlebury’s AFL career so far*
Collingwood Captain, 2014 – 2022 (a Club-record 206 games as Captain/ acting Captain)
Premiership Player, 2010
Norm Smith Medal, 2010
6 x All Australian, 2010-2014, 2019
5 x Copeland Trophy Winner, 2011, 2013 – 2016
3 x Anzac Day Medal, 2010, 2011, 2019
2 x AFLPA Best Captain, 2020, 2022
AFLA Best Young Player, 2007
AFLCA Champion Player of the Year, 2013
Lou Richards Medal, 2014
Collingwood Games Record Holder (358 games) and only the 20th player in history to reach 350 VFL/AFL games

Needs to be someone "younger" from the leadership group meaning Moore or Adams.
Can't be Steele or Howe for mine.

I'm leaning slightly in the Adams camp purely because his acts on field are the type you would want to go to war with as a teammate.

As per member email:

Collingwood’s longest-serving Captain Scott Pendlebury has today advised his teammates and the wider Club that he will hand over the reins ahead of the 2023 season.

Pendlebury’s career as Captain of Collingwood is a legendary one.

In January 2014, the then 25-year-old Pendlebury was appointed as Captain to replace Nick Maxwell. He went on to lead the side for nine consecutive years and was named the AFLPA’s Best Captain in 2020 and 2022.

“To Captain an AFL Club is one of the greatest honours and it is not something I have ever taken for granted,” Pendlebury said.

“It has been an absolute privilege to lead this side for as long as I have.

“At 34 years of age and in the twilight of my career, I felt that this is the optimal time to hand over the position and support the next Captain of our Club.

“I have experienced all the great football highs and lows throughout my nine-year tenure as Captain and I look forward to seeing the next person take the opportunity and make it their own.

“This year, I have shared in what feels like a new era of Collingwood – with new coaches, staff and a young playing group – and we have all witnessed what we have been able to create. It seems timely that we welcome a new Captain for season 2023.”

Pendlebury has played 358 games for the Club and led Collingwood as Captain on 206 occasions. Both are Club records. He has played more matches at the MCG than any player in league history (224 games).

This year the veteran showed no signs of slowing down finishing the E. W. Copeland Medal count in second place. Pendlebury has finished top three in the Copeland count in the last 14 of his 17 seasons in the black and white.

The Club will soon put in place the process to appoint its 48th AFL Captain with the announcement to be made ahead of the 2023 season.

Pendlebury informed the playing group of his decision earlier today. Vision can be found on the Club’s website.

Pendlebury’s AFL career so far*
Collingwood Captain, 2014 – 2022 (a Club-record 206 games as Captain/ acting Captain)
Premiership Player, 2010
Norm Smith Medal, 2010
6 x All Australian, 2010-2014, 2019
5 x Copeland Trophy Winner, 2011, 2013 – 2016
3 x Anzac Day Medal, 2010, 2011, 2019
2 x AFLPA Best Captain, 2020, 2022
AFLA Best Young Player, 2007
AFLCA Champion Player of the Year, 2013
Lou Richards Medal, 2014
Collingwood Games Record Holder (358 games) and only the 20th player in history to reach 350 VFL/AFL games
A true champion on just so many levels. Apart of the records he has broken at our club and the string of awards, not players get the amount of pure hats off respect from opposition supporters than Pendles.

Thanks for being a mighty captain for us Pendles. Shame we couldn't make you winning premiership captain in 2018... but I guess you'll take another flag in 2023 as a bog standard player. 😘

Hmm?!?! ..... interesting to see who the players pick.

My vote is Darcy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does Crisp always seem to be overlooked when this conversation happens?

I was all for Adams a couple years ago think he needs to work on getting the body right and playing more football.

Crisp isn't in the leadership group, not even the 7-man group in 2021.

That isn't definitive, but it does point to what seems obvious to many spectators: he takes care of his own business but isn't a leader.

Not Adams or Howe, too close to the end with both unlikely to be on the list post 2024 season.

I'd want someone that has the leadership qualities/respect of the group/embodies the culture etc obviously. But also that is highly available(not always injured) and not close to finishing their career.

Maynard for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back