Peter Dutton - How Long?

Remove this Banner Ad

It'll be interesting to see if Dutton still supports the stage 3 tax cuts given that chief beneficiaries of them are going to be in the electorates that turned their backs on the Libs in vast numbers.
He needs the cash that some wealthy donors in those electorates provide

Could one of the Teals be wooed back to the LNP with a leadership role & an opportunity to take the party back to its non-prayer room roots?

Most of the remaining Liberals are overly happy they’re expunged the moderates. This isn’t an accident, it is a deliberate strategy by conservatives to eradicate moderates or marginalise them into irrelevance.

Given the strength of the Coalition and News Corp’s attack on the teals (which at times was more vicious than the attack on Labor) I doubt whether any of them would go over. And a big reason why the wealthy progressive urban electorates voted for them was to get rid of the Morrison led Liberals, so why those electorates would be happy to go back to the Coalition under more conservative Dutton is a bit strange.

I think Dutton needs to follow Sussan's path and add a extra letter to his name and become Petter

Most of the remaining Liberals are overly happy they’re expunged the moderates. This isn’t an accident, it is a deliberate strategy by conservatives to eradicate moderates or marginalise them into irrelevance.

Given the strength of the Coalition and News Corp’s attack on the teals (which at times was more vicious than the attack on Labor) I doubt whether any of them would go over. And a big reason why the wealthy progressive urban electorates voted for them was to get rid of the Morrison led Liberals, so why those electorates would be happy to go back to the Coalition under more conservative Dutton is a bit strange.

Not with Dutton, instead of Dutton.
ie drag the whole party back to the centre.
Surely they realise now that going further right will be the final nail in their coffin?

I think he'll make it to the next election with the LNP still stoically defiant on the issues they got booted for (climate/women/integrity.)

Their seat count probably remains unchanged or goes backward and he gets dumped shortly after. Hopeful, but less confident on this part; the Australian public have goldfish memories and have a rocky 3 years ahead economically, so it wouldn't surprise me if 3 years of re-branding works. :(

Is there a chance Dutton loses Dickson at the next election? Probably not but it was closer than he would've liked and the demographics may be shifting to a younger/more progressive electorate. Would be hilarious if it happened.

I expect much will be made of the ALP trying to break into Queensland next election. They've reached their ceiling in most other states, and will need to be seen to be gaining and trying to hold majority if they're at risk of going backwards elsewhere. Doubt they actually pull it off though.

What excuse did he give for boycotting the apology?

The opposition leader said his refusal to support the National Apology was a response to violence facing Indigenous women and children in Indigenous communities.

"At the time, I believed that the apology should be given when the problems were resolved and the problems are not resolved," he said.

Dutton still think the Libs won. Sending out Press releases on himself.:)

It blows my mind that many people can't see through the blatant cheerleading/propaganda machine that is News Corp. Look at the front cover and two page spread on Frydenberg during the election, look at this rubbish about Dutton's "softer side" which is nothing more than an LNP PR exercise. This is not news, if you want to tell us how you've softened up don't tell us how you like a beer and are compassionate with your family, tell us what your policies are on dealing with asylum seekers, on people on minimum wage, on people on welfare, on the violence and poverty in indigenous communities, people unable to break into the housing market etc etc

I can just see the articles if Murdoch was running the news in 1940s Germany "Eva Braun says my Addy is such a sweetheart, he just loves painting and his pet dog"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It blows my mind that many people can't see through the blatant cheerleading/propaganda machine that is News Corp. Look at the front cover and two page spread on Frydenberg during the election, look at this rubbish about Dutton's "softer side" which is nothing more than an LNP PR exercise. This is not news, if you want to tell us how you've softened up don't tell us how you like a beer and are compassionate with your family, tell us what your policies are on dealing with asylum seekers, on people on minimum wage, on people on welfare, on the violence and poverty in indigenous communities, people unable to break into the housing market etc etc

I can just see the articles if Murdoch was running the news in 1940s Germany "Eva Braun says my Addy is such a sweetheart, he just loves painting and his pet dog"
He can't even say 'sorry', just that he was wrong to walk out on the apology.

If anything, this election shows that Murdoch's influence among the general public is overrated.

Barracking so hard for an obvious loser has trashed their political credibility nationally, just as the Courier-Mail trashed theirs by going all in for Campbell Newman in 2015.

If anything, this election shows that Murdoch's influence among the general public is overrated.

Barracking so hard for an obvious loser has trashed their political credibility nationally, just as the Courier-Mail trashed theirs by going all in for Campbell Newman in 2015.
Fairfax may have taken the biggest hit, particularly the AFR.

I'd say Dutton has about 2-3 years left.

Time it will take for an ICAC bill to pass, the commission to get up and running and for him to receive some pointed questioning.

Plus he sounds off like an idiot. They say ambition cooked Turnbull early ala utegate etc., as in, he was primed to attack. But Dutton can't help himself. Labelling Labor "the bad government" and already apportioning responsibility for things like lower real wages to a cabinet yet to be sworn in, will turn the public off mighty quick.

Maybe but I still know plenty of people (generally older namely my dad, uncles and their generation) who still read the Sun and think it's news. It does my head in.

"HE'S NOT A GENOCIDAIRE!"

Maybe but I still know plenty of people (generally older namely my dad, uncles and their generation) who still read the Sun and think it's news. It does my head in.

Yeah, but I'm guessing they're LNP fanbois.

I expect much will be made of the ALP trying to break into Queensland next election. They've reached their ceiling in most other states, and will need to be seen to be gaining and trying to hold majority if they're at risk of going backwards elsewhere. Doubt they actually pull it off though.
Yep.

Queensland continues to be the boil on the bum for the ALP. While the Greens did spectacularly well in Brisbane this election, the ALP didn't make much of a dent in LNP support that is still holding up reasonably well in that state after the 2019 disaster.

The LNP lost 3.8% of its first preference vote but most of that flowed to the Greens. The ALPs 27.7% first preference vote in Qld is well behind the LNP 40% and is only just above what they received at the last Federal election.

The Emerson-Weatherill review of the disastrous 2019 election defeat for Labor highlighted the need to improve campaign focus on Queensland and Brisbane given the number of seats that are potentially up for grabs. I think those issues still remain unanswered.

First Day in the job and his already saying for Australia to prepare for a war with China.

This guy is a nutcase. Very dangerous to have as a leader. Wtf is the liberals doing.
Worst place in Australia is Dickson for voting this lunatic. Dickson the place full of Dickheads. If we went to war on the back of Peter Dutton I would say go get F.
Who would want to fight for this country because a idiot like Peter Dutton thinks we should.

I would rather fight a war against Dickson in Queensland. What a stupid place to live supporting a stupid racist in Dutton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back