News Peter Jackson appointed CEO until end 2015 - extended to 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty good. Only thing that concerns me to a point is the almost want to ignore past Demons people. Not saying that we go to the old boys' club obviously, but there is some point in having people that love the footy club around. I'd love to see CC stay at the club for example - not in the FD, but in the marketing role that he has had. By all reports, everyone out Casey way loved dealing with CC and his passion for the MFC shone through, but he also knew how to turn that passion into positive press for the club. Greg Healy is another example of someone who shouldn't be ignored based on their record as being a part of the club.

I think if there's a role for them they should be looked at, but as part of a wider hunt among AFL personnel.

I'd love to see CC stay at the club for example - not in the FD, but in the marketing role that he has had. By all reports, everyone out Casey way loved dealing with CC and his passion for the MFC shone through, but he also knew how to turn that passion into positive press for the club.

I call bullshit. You've spent all season calling for everyone's head, as have I, and now you want that useless lump back at the club? The one who, along with Schwab, sold us s**t and called it ice cream? Why is it so hard to comprehend that these people, along with Jim Stynes, Don McLardy and Garry Lyon, played a massive part in the farcical decision that tanking, retiring legends and returning MFC to it's 1950's roots would somehow leave us as a better club.

All this positive press is complete bulldust. Where has it bloody left us? Playing for our football season in front of 7k people in ******* Canberra, playing to avoid complete embarrassment for the seventh season in a row. Look at Peter Jackson, the only person who has managed to be completely honest about this club is the one who knows that there is no place for these names at Melbourne.

It breaks my ******* heart because I love Jimmy Stynes to pieces, but his decision to keep the Presidency role and only half align himself with the club during his very brave battle with cancer played a huge part in the anarchy you see today. Don was making the call, but Jim could overturn the call, and the boardroom had about 50 people in it; leaving the impetus on Schwab and Cuddles to control the football club. Look what the dogs did to it!

We tanked. We should have copped our whack for it and moved on with integrity. Instead, there's a fear that we drop Connolly and he does a tell all. That fear will always linger like a bad smell.

Casey is doing just fine without him, and the MFC would be doing worse with him.

Greg Healy I know nothing about. If the decision is made that he isn't good for the club going forward, then we have to back the decision.

Stand behind everything Peter Jackson does in the next 18 months. It's all the hope we have.

This give a lot of hope.

Brutally honest, but fair, things that needed to be said.

Fingers crossed that he's able to pull the necessary strings and sweep out the deadwood.
Sadly thats exactly what Neeld (minus the fair I'd say) came in & did.

I think we've seen a little action by the club in bringing him in & giving him latitude, now for the follow through.

I like that he also said the cuts & changes can't affect the football or footy departments which is one criticism Essendon supporters had of PJ.

Stand behind everything Peter Jackson does in the next 18 months. It's all the hope we have.

I call bullshit.

This is the attitude that has got us to where we are today: putting blind faith in people just because they weren't a part of our most recent embarrassments and getting rid of everyone who was. It happened with Bailey, it happened with Schwab, it happened with Jimmy, it happened with Lyon twice, it happened with Neeld and now it's happening with Jackson. In a year or two, when we still haven't made the finals, everyone will be calling for his head because "he's an AFL henchman who sold the club from underneath us", "he's utterly incompetent, these losses wouldn't have happened under anyone else", "listen to him talk up the club when we're s**t, how stupid does he think we are?", "he should never have gone cap in hand to the AFL, we didn't need it and now we've lost the only thing we had: dignity!"

Just let him get on with what he was sent to do and spend three years praying it was right before you start hailing him as the chosen one.

I call bullshit.

This is the attitude that has got us to where we are today: putting blind faith in people just because they weren't a part of our most recent embarrassments and getting rid of everyone who was. It happened with Bailey, it happened with Schwab, it happened with Jimmy, it happened with Lyon twice, it happened with Neeld and now it's happening with Jackson. In a year or two, when we still haven't made the finals, everyone will be calling for his head because "he's an AFL henchman who sold the club from underneath us", "he's utterly incompetent, these losses wouldn't have happened under anyone else", "listen to him talk up the club when we're s**t, how stupid does he think we are?", "he should never have gone cap in hand to the AFL, we didn't need it and now we've lost the only thing we had: dignity!"

Just let him get on with what he was sent to do and spend three years praying it was right before you start hailing him as the chosen one.

Fair call. I got a little carried away with it there.

Has re-signed Connolly...
What do we actually know about this bloke? Was he awesome at Essendon? Or are we simply worshipping the next false messiah.
Amusingly, i posted this in the same thread.

I prefer your way. Don't stand behind everything he does, but hope to hell that he's the right bloke because we're on life support.

Pretty good. Only thing that concerns me to a point is the almost want to ignore past Demons people. Not saying that we go to the old boys' club obviously, but there is some point in having people that love the footy club around. I'd love to see CC stay at the club for example - not in the FD, but in the marketing role that he has had. By all reports, everyone out Casey way loved dealing with CC and his passion for the MFC shone through, but he also knew how to turn that passion into positive press for the club. Greg Healy is another example of someone who shouldn't be ignored based on their record as being a part of the club.

I think if there's a role for them they should be looked at, but as part of a wider hunt among AFL personnel.

In order to become a ruthless professional AFL club (as PJ puts it), we simply need the best people that we can get in the roles we need to fill. I think that's what PJ is getting at. I think he would be encouraging of past players or melbourne people who wanted to help out in voluntary club / social based activities, but not in roles where there is 'real' work to be done, unless they are of course the best candidate for that role. I think it's pretty obvious that PJ doesn't believe passion alone is anywhere near enough to build a successful club.

I call bullshit. You've spent all season calling for everyone's head, as have I, and now you want that useless lump back at the club? The one who, along with Schwab, sold us s**t and called it ice cream? Why is it so hard to comprehend that these people, along with Jim Stynes, Don McLardy and Garry Lyon, played a massive part in the farcical decision that tanking, retiring legends and returning MFC to it's 1950's roots would somehow leave us as a better club.

All this positive press is complete bulldust. Where has it bloody left us? Playing for our football season in front of 7k people in ******* Canberra, playing to avoid complete embarrassment for the seventh season in a row. Look at Peter Jackson, the only person who has managed to be completely honest about this club is the one who knows that there is no place for these names at Melbourne.

It breaks my ******* heart because I love Jimmy Stynes to pieces, but his decision to keep the Presidency role and only half align himself with the club during his very brave battle with cancer played a huge part in the anarchy you see today. Don was making the call, but Jim could overturn the call, and the boardroom had about 50 people in it; leaving the impetus on Schwab and Cuddles to control the football club. Look what the dogs did to it!

We tanked. We should have copped our whack for it and moved on with integrity. Instead, there's a fear that we drop Connolly and he does a tell all. That fear will always linger like a bad smell.

Casey is doing just fine without him, and the MFC would be doing worse with him.

Greg Healy I know nothing about. If the decision is made that he isn't good for the club going forward, then we have to back the decision.

Actually, I've been pretty measured about CC. Schwab, absolutely. Fine with the rest. But there have been a lot of damn good reports - not media, but personable - regarding CC and his work down at Casey.

Listen to what PJ actually said. He said we need to go after the best. What happens if the best for a particular role is actually a Melbourne person? Are you telling me that if Clarkson becomes available we shouldn't pursue him because he was part of the old boys' club?

I think we just have to be very careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Was it my imagination or was there no mention of Craig being a candidate for the coaching position ? The only names mentioned were Roos , Eade and Williams . To me G Healy (Swans) Roos (Swans) and Sheahan (Ugly Duckling ) are an old boys club within themselves .

Everyone in this thread has made some good points.

As Logger said, I agree we can't unconditionally back PJ. But I also agree with SSF that he's the brightest light at the club at the moment, probably until a new coach comes in. Let's conditionally back him.

WRT to the 'Boys Club', it's the mentality that has to go - it may be that Connolly is the best man for the job, but only if (and IMO it's a big if) he can put all the stuff in the past behind him.

As Striker rightly pointed out, club people can be hugely beneficial - look at Richmond with Benny Gale. But (as everybody knows) it is not a prerequisite for success.

Sadly thats exactly what Neeld (minus the fair I'd say) came in & did.

Neeld is a different basket of eggs - a crap people manager who played favourites. Strategically and tactically he was deficient, he was as flexible as a piece of glass on gameday. And, in his time at the club, he yielded hardly any positives, but instead saddled us with plenty of deadweight that we'll drag around for a while yet (eg. Pederson for 3 years?!).

Unfortunately for coaches, they only have control over a certain piece of the puzzle. However, Jackson has had success as a high-level official in a successful Victorian club. The club is in the surest pair of hands it has been for a long, long time. Let's just hope that he is able to implement a positive shift in direction soon because from over the horizon we have a player in Jesse Hogan that we could possibly build a team around (barring any cockups in development).

That is the rant of the year!

(I agree with most of it too)

So since PJ could of pulled of one of the biggest miracles our club has ever seen i was thinking we should all chip in an buy him this for the boardroom at MFC.

2689398.gif

Roosy can get his when he delivers our first premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So since PJ could of pulled of one of the biggest miracles our club has ever seen i was thinking we should all chip in an buy him this for the boardroom at MFC.

2689398.gif

Roosy can get his when he delivers our first premiership.

neeld occupied this remember when he got clark though

I was at a party with an MFC employee last night. This person's office is next door to PJ's. I took everything he said with a grain of salt. But this is what he told me:

-Lastly, I found this disturbing. He told me a priority pick was all but assured, but that we wouldn't want to win today. That sounded kind of familiar. :(

Time will tell how accurate he was.

Thanks for the info.

Bolded bit is v disappointing though.

Thanks for the info.

Bolded bit is v disappointing though.

Agreed. But it makes sense. Awarding us a priority pick is going to be a hard enough sell to the other clubs as it is. I can't imagine a stirring win against the emerging Bulldogs in the last round would help our chances.

I'd still take a win though.

Agreed. But it makes sense. Awarding us a priority pick is going to be a hard enough sell to the other clubs as it is. I can't imagine a stirring win against the emerging Bulldogs in the last round would help our chances.

I'd still take a win though.

* them, one win shouldn't make a difference.

In 7 years our best return has been 8 and a 1/2 wins... twice.

All other years have been < 4 wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back