Review Dees v Swans: the Good, Bad & Fugly with a plea to Pickett to return

Remove this Banner Ad

The question is what happens when Gawn comes back, im intrigued. Do we stick with a similar forward setup as yesterday coz it worked so well? would be nice to have him and Grundy just rotating off the bench and dropping back into the hole in defense and leaving the forward line ruck work to JVR and Petty. I think Goody likely sticks with the preseason plan of resting Gawn and Grundy down forward however and Petty moves back. At least we've got a couple more weeks get a good look at JVR and Petty in F50 before deciding, would have been a shame to break up that forward combo after what we saw yesterday.

Fugly:

BT taking the opportunity to pot Melbourne members for a crowd size of nearly 43,000

Richmond v Collingwood got over 80,000 on a Friday night. Good for them. But am I the only person to realise that Tigs and Pies combined have virtually twice the members of Sydney and Melbourne combined?

So we play a Sunday 3:20 match against an interstate team and it’s apparently the Melbourne members fault for not selling the place out. Enough already. It’s already bad enough that we have Caro and Topkent sharing a couch somewhere in Canada thin-lipped and composing the next hatchet job for Footy Classified
BT also seemed to forget the F1 which hits melbourne once a year was on at the exact same time. Scraping away with that much on a big clash of events like that is decent i would have thought. Sorry we're not loaded up on the bandwagoner bogans from either team BT supports

Petracca was ******* terrible. Been s**t all season.
Ben brown was embarrassing, I've never ever thought goody was a better coach than when he subbed him out. Out marked and not even slightly competitive. Play literally anyone else

The only ugly for me out of this game is people saying Trac was in our best. Getting it 30 times and fumbling and turning it over isn't a good game.
Swans didn't make us pay but we'll get monstered by a team like Collingwood if he puts in performances like that against them.

The only ugly for me out of this game is people saying Trac was in our best. Getting it 30 times and fumbling and turning it over isn't a good game.
Swans didn't make us pay but we'll get monstered by a team like Collingwood if he puts in performances like that against them.
Media saying Trac is best is just some habit - knee-jerk reaction on a weekly basis. I suppose anyone asked for their opinion who didn’t watch but looked briefly at the stat sheet might come up with that. How good would it be to be in Footy media? Grab a decent paycheque for about four hours work each week. I’d be good at it. I can talk crap with no basis for twice that long.

We've been using him completely wrong since we got him, hes never been a contested marking type, always looked best when guys are drilling in passes low to him on the lead with space inside 50, not launching it on his head.
Which is fine, but if you're drilling awesome passes to him why couldn't you just do that to Fritsch and JVR. Everything has to go perfectly for brown to work and modern footy it's rarely perfect

Which is fine, but if you're drilling awesome passes to him why couldn't you just do that to Fritsch and JVR. Everything has to go perfectly for brown to work and modern footy it's rarely perfect

Wasn't perfect last week and he was there snapping goals off the deck on the boundary. Im not a big fan as youre well aware, just reckon its pretty harsh to bag him totally off one poor week with a back injury.

Fugly:

BT taking the opportunity to pot Melbourne members for a crowd size of nearly 43,000

Richmond v Collingwood got over 80,000 on a Friday night. Good for them. But am I the only person to realise that Tigs and Pies combined have virtually twice the members of Sydney and Melbourne combined?

So we play a Sunday 3:20 match against an interstate team and it’s apparently the Melbourne members fault for not selling the place out. Enough already. It’s already bad enough that we have Caro and Topkent sharing a couch somewhere in Canada thin-lipped and composing the next hatchet job for Footy Classified
That stuff shits me tbh I reckon we undeservedly cop it a fair bit

I remember those AFL days at primary school there'd be 4 Dees fans compared to like 100 Collingwood fans. We're just not as big as Collingwood or Richmond but damn just about every dees fan I know is a genuine nutcase supporter and we do well for crowds for how many we actually have.

Also 42k for a smaller club on Sunday is a number that any other code in Australia could only dream of.

Last edited:
Stating the obvious here, but Oliver showing that you don't need to have a million possessions to be BOG. 25 disposals is on the "low" side for him but it was infinitely better than his effort last week

Edit: lol just realised this has been mentioned several times

Wasn't perfect last week and he was there snapping goals off the deck on the boundary. Im not a big fan as youre well aware, just reckon its pretty harsh to bag him totally off one poor week with a back injury.
No he was very good last week but I don't see that being repeated against the best. If we get dragged into a slog and we need to fight through a game he becomes a burden.

How good is a big fat WIN at the footy? Really starts the week off the right way!

Come at me but I reckon Petracca is getting real close to hitting some beautiful form, will click sooner than later. Disposal is the issue I think, his work otherwise is pretty good, he's getting the ball and swatting players away nicely.

So many huge moments. May's kick to Fritsch, his tackle, Oliver's steal, Few of Spargo's goals I loved.

Have to go back to 2008 for the last time Swans copped a margin like that in the home and away. They don't get belted, and we belted them. Good feelings!!
Trac isn't far away. Love watching him live. Finding the footy just needs to tighten up the kicks.

Viney wasn't good yet again. Brayshaw has really struggled also this season. Both really aren't contributing much tbh. Seeing Brayshaw live it just looks like he's not fit enough. Viney just gets in the way and then when he gets the ball he rarely makes a smart decision with it.

How bloody good was it to have targets up forward who can take a mark! Or at least compete in the air. It just gave our mids confidence to kick it to them. I think we might be short in defence some weeks, but we are much better off having Petty forward imo. Competed and applied pressure. Hibberd coming in really makes us stronger in defence too imo. Just gets the job done and rarely gets beaten. Can play tall or small too which might allow Petty to play forward more often.

Chandler is having a ripper start to the year. Not sure who it was on here, but someone was bagging him out saying he's not AFL standard. He's well and truly proved them wrong. He kicks goals too unlike our other smalls. Has to stay in the side.

May down back is just a general. How fn good is he! Not sure I've ever seen anyone at the club who transforms a whole backline like he does when he plays. He just controlled the air down back and he and Lever have a great connection. You could see at the ground that with a finger point of a direction, the other just knew what they had to do. He monsters blokes too. Even made Buddy look small regularly. We can't win the flag without him.

Praise to Goody for throwing pieces around. No way we win that game going in with the same players and the same gameplan. JVR on debut was great. 3 goals and contested work. He's gonna be a beauty. Glad i was there to see his debut.

We seemed to use the width of the ground much much better. On both sides. Nice to have that confidence of two competent wingmen. Was the best game by both. Live it looked like Langdon was the more defensive winger while Hunter was the more attacking option.

Grundy was great as well i thought. Probably his best game for a few years. No reason why he can't play like that next few weeks with Gawn out. Hopefully he's got that confidence now.

Finally, loved Oliver. He's a bloody marvel. Besides Robbie, I've never seen a better Dees player in my time. Only 25 as well. Freak of a player. His kicking for goal seems more accurate this year too. If he can keep the goalkicking up, then no reason why he can't end up being our best ever. Bloody good to finally see us beat that mob! Now let's beat the other bogey team! Colingwood!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to eat a large slice of humble pie in relation to Buzz Lightyear/Chindler's List. Honestly didn't think he'd make it at AFL-level after the limited exposure he'd had.

Boy was I wrong, smart footballer, great kick and good goal sense. So important as he'll let us play Koz further up the field without losing a proper crumber/link man up forward.

Going to eat a large slice of humble pie in relation to Buzz Lightyear/Chindler's List. Honestly didn't think he'd make it at AFL-level after the limited exposure he'd had.

Boy was I wrong, smart footballer, great kick and good goal sense. So important as he'll let us play Koz further up the field without losing a proper crumber/link man up forward.
His intensity has been excellent. Probably shows the value of not gifting games - he must have been disappointed to spend so many games as the sub last year and he has come back determined to win and keep a spot. Really impressive effort

I was thinking the same thing, having a villain makes things interesting, it's not as if he's a serial ducker.

He talks the talk and walks the walk. Great player, great for the game. Gets the crowd and teammates into it.

Don't get the Papley hate, I love the guy.
he's got a face like a clenched fist and reminds me of the kid I had to sit next to in 2nd grade called Damyen (no joke) who regularly wet his pants

he's got a face like a clenched fist and reminds me of the kid I had to sit next to in 2nd grade called Damyen (no joke) who regularly wet his pants

Pretty impressive that you can remember who you sat next to in grade 2

Pretty impressive that you can remember who you sat next to in grade 2
I forget where I left my phone and my keys most days, but I always remember who pissed next to me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back