Pets

Remove this Banner Ad

ShinbonerBaz , how is Archie doing now ?

Blood tests showed no other irregularities, so it's definitely Progressive Retinal Atrophy and he is almost blind. He seems very content with life and is lapping up the extra attention he now gets from everybody. Apart from the obvious limitations the blindness is causing him (and it's not always very obvious) the only behavioural changes we have noticed is that he seems a bit more affectionate.

Blood tests showed no other irregularities, so it's definitely Progressive Retinal Atrophy and he is almost blind. He seems very content with life and is lapping up the extra attention he now gets from everybody. Apart from the obvious limitations the blindness is causing him (and it's not always very obvious) the only behavioural changes we have noticed is that he seems a bit more affectionate.
Glad to hear he has adjusted well Baz. A more affectionate dog...who doesn't love that. Best animals hands down

Glad to hear he has adjusted well Baz. A more affectionate dog...who doesn't love that. Best animals hands down
He's always been a bit of a smoocher (and drooler unfortunately), loves to just be with people, but he seems to want to stick his head in my lap and have his ears rubbed much more often than before.

He's always been a bit of a smoocher (and drooler unfortunately), loves to just be with people, but he seems to want to stick his head in my lap and have his ears rubbed much more often than before.
best animals x 1000. No matter what's going on with them they always put on a brave face and show affection. no matter how busy you are it's hard not to pat your dog for a bit. Instant mood lifter

best animals x 1000. No matter what's going on with them they always put on a brave face and show affection. no matter how busy you are it's hard not to pat your dog for a bit. Instant mood lifter
What about cats?

What about cats?
I like cats too, we have had two long lived cats since 1989 (first died at 14, second still going at 12), but I'm a dog person and in particular I love Labs.

A few more days and he's home (according to the vet he and 1 other were the only to not to make a fuss when they were being micro-chipped) - more shinboner spirit from the little one:

Brett33 the image didn't work ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a couple of older pics of our adopted Pug, Marvin.

Marvin by shinbonerbaz, on Flickr

Marvin by shinbonerbaz, on Flickr
haha brilliant Baz. What's his personality like? I read they can be pretty hard to train and they are a bit spacey.

We were very close to adopting one from 'Pup SOS' when they were at an RSPCA event. We did a lap of the event to have a think about it and by the time we went back the two were adopted.

haha brilliant Baz. What's his personality like? I read they can be pretty hard to train and they are a bit spacey.

We were very close to adopting one from 'Pup SOS' when they were at an RSPCA event. We did a lap of the event to have a think about it and by the time we went back the two were adopted.

Pugs are generally hard to train and he had had no training when he came to us from an extended family member who could no longer look after him.
As for personality, he's very affectionate, to the point of almost being annoying at times. Pugs are not really my cup of tea, but I would have to admit, the little bugger has grown on me. Has also had trouble with his eyes as I've posted back in this thread somewhere previously.

Pugs are generally hard to train and he had had no training when he came to us from an extended family member who could no longer look after him.
As for personality, he's very affectionate, to the point of almost being annoying at times. Pugs are not really my cup of tea, but I would have to admit, the little bugger has grown on me. Has also had trouble with his eyes as I've posted back in this thread somewhere previously.
I'm glad he's grown on you. I've heard they are really affectionate. When I was researching I saw they are prone to eye and skin problems (needing to clean their fold regularly to decrease the risk of infection, don't like to be left alone for a long period (not good for us), hard to train, not good for apartment living and don't cope well in the heat.

How did you train your dogs? I've read a few books on it now but still not sure on the best approach

I'm glad he's grown on you. I've heard they are really affectionate. When I was researching I saw they are prone to eye and skin problems (needing to clean their fold regularly to decrease the risk of infection, don't like to be left alone for a long period (not good for us), hard to train, not good for apartment living and don't cope well in the heat.

How did you train your dogs? I've read a few books on it now but still not sure on the best approach

Sorry B33, missed this post. Marvin was pretty much past training when we got him, except for sitting and coming when called (except at the beach) he pretty much does his own thing.

We took Archie to puppy training at a local kennel club, their method was to submit the pup to show him who the pack leader is. Archie was going quite well with this (despite my reservations), for the first few weeks until one day he just decided he would not let anyone submit him any more, after some discussion with the trainer lady we decided that (as she said) he is a very dominant dog and we would have to try "another way". So we went with rewards based training and with Archie being a Lab, who love their food, this was pretty successful...treats for anything that was 'good' and repetition, but not for too long each time (20 minutes max). He is a 'puller' on the lead, so we went with a "halti" around the nose type harness which worked pretty well. I know everyone thinks their dog is very intelligent, but I think it helps if they pick things up quickly.

Sorry B33, missed this post. Marvin was pretty much past training when we got him, except for sitting and coming when called (except at the beach) he pretty much does his own thing.

We took Archie to puppy training at a local kennel club, their method was to submit the pup to show him who the pack leader is. Archie was going quite well with this (despite my reservations), for the first few weeks until one day he just decided he would not let anyone submit him any more, after some discussion with the trainer lady we decided that (as she said) he is a very dominant dog and we would have to try "another way". So we went with rewards based training and with Archie being a Lab, who love their food, this was pretty successful...treats for anything that was 'good' and repetition, but not for too long each time (20 minutes max). He is a 'puller' on the lead, so we went with a "halti" around the nose type harness which worked pretty well. I know everyone thinks their dog is very intelligent, but I think it helps if they pick things up quickly.
Cheers Baz, appreciate it.

I've definitely gone with the rewards based approach. We've had Thor for 3 days now and I've managed to get him to sit...most times. Picked up some organic liver treats and one of those clickers. I've got a wooden tv unit with sisal rope handles and he loves chewing on them. So I soaked some chili powder in water and brushed it on. He has quickly learnt not to chew them now ;)

Night times have been tough because the mrs is a softie. He sooks on and off and she picks him up and cuddles him...despite my best efforts to get her to ignore him.

Glad to hear the nose type harness worked well. I think I might go with that one too.

Hard not being able to take him out because of the risk of parvo. His urban loo on the balcony has been a revelation though
001b6c8b63ff013b09c3e1fde5fff610.jpg

Cheers Baz, appreciate it.

I've definitely gone with the rewards based approach. We've had Thor for 3 days now and I've managed to get him to sit...most times. Picked up some organic liver treats and one of those clickers. I've got a wooden tv unit with sisal rope handles and he loves chewing on them. So I soaked some chili powder in water and brushed it on. He has quickly learnt not to chew them now ;)

Night times have been tough because the mrs is a softie. He sooks on and off and she picks him up and cuddles him...despite my best efforts to get her to ignore him.

Glad to hear the nose type harness worked well. I think I might go with that one too.

Hard not being able to take him out because of the risk of parvo. His urban loo on the balcony has been a revelation though
001b6c8b63ff013b09c3e1fde5fff610.jpg

Wouldn't start with the Halti, maybe go to it if Thor turns out to be a puller on the lead. Archie felt the need to sniff every tree, shrub, pole, fence, rock, pebble, dog, human and would almost choke himself to do it (would have made a great sniffer dog, I reckon), but moving to the Halti pretty much cured him straight away.

Wouldn't start with the Halti, maybe go to it if Thor turns out to be a puller on the lead. Archie felt the need to sniff every tree, shrub, pole, fence, rock, pebble, dog, human and would almost choke himself to do it (would have made a great sniffer dog, I reckon), but moving to the Halti pretty much cured him straight away.
haha I can just imagine it. Same thing would happen with my Mrs' old dog (not to mention sit downs so it could catch it's breath)

Baz speaking to Mrs Baz:

dog walk.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back