Picola & District Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly things need to be done to the letter of the law, and there are agreements and policies and procedures in place for all of those things. Most club people would understand this. But we've seen in Toc's instance (and the 4 clubs that left the PDFNL) years back that they will find a place regardless.

But its undeniable that the 2 most recent incidents (Toc, and Tungamah/Katandra) were handled poorly, by multiple parties (operations, board, and club in some cases). It's understandable that emotion gets in the way sometimes, most people are volunteers who care a lot, but there is room in the grey area for proper amicable constructive conversation that on face value didn't occur.

As I mentioned, for a million reasons some clubs (not all) have been put off by either PDFNL or KDL administration, and are exploring their best options.

I don't think anyone would want to see a club fall over, whether in your league or not, so this constant threat of fear or repercussions, or accusations of disruption or defamation is really not useful to anyone
Correct, I thought we were all involved to either play or assist in football/ netball it should be irrelevant where clubs want to play if it suits their needs to make it better for all involved be it players or volunteers.

Clearly things need to be done to the letter of the law, and there are agreements and policies and procedures in place for all of those things. Most club people would understand this. But we've seen in Toc's instance (and the 4 clubs that left the PDFNL) years back that they will find a place regardless.

But its undeniable that the 2 most recent incidents (Toc, and Tungamah/Katandra) were handled poorly, by multiple parties (operations, board, and club in some cases). It's understandable that emotion gets in the way sometimes, most people are volunteers who care a lot, but there is room in the grey area for proper amicable constructive conversation that on face value didn't occur.

As I mentioned, for a million reasons some clubs (not all) have been put off by either PDFNL or KDL administration, and are exploring their best options.

I don't think anyone would want to see a club fall over, whether in your league or not, so this constant threat of fear or repercussions, or accusations of disruption or defamation is really not useful to anyone
Rules were introduced post the 4 clubs leaving in 2018 and prior to Tungamah and Katandra re-entering .
Tungamah and Katandra reasons for exploring their options is not linked to the leagues administration .
Current administration was heavily involved when both clubs returned and continues to share a good transparent relationship with leaders of both clubs.
It’s also been confirmed by others that if the PDFNL were to still be split with a southern based comp KDFNL clubs would have already attempted to formally join the league.
No doubt there’d be individuals within all clubs who have the shits with the league including the leagues admin , it’s been happening in all leagues for years. As it does within clubs .
It’s interesting there is strong views regarding opposing accusations , disruption and defamation within the same post where comments of the same are included .

Last edited:
It’s interesting that you support the individual clubs doing what is solely in their best interest yet condemn anything the league ( by extension the remaining clubs ) do in their collective best interests .
The underpinning factor behind clubs leaving in 2018 was non Affiliation.
The dramas in late 2022 stemmed from non affiliation. I believe it’s been the driving force for clubs wanting change since 2018.
Yes I believe clubs should look after their best interests, just as the league should be doing what’s best for them/ their clubs.
I don’t believe however, that imposing suspensions for clubs contemplating leaving and having meetings on the matter is the way to go.
I’m not slamming the league, just stating clubs should be able to do so at this time of year without fear or retribution.

The underpinning factor behind clubs leaving in 2018 was non Affiliation.
The dramas in late 2022 stemmed from non affiliation. I believe it’s been the driving force for clubs wanting change since 2018.
Yes I believe clubs should look after their best interests, just as the league should be doing what’s best for them/ their clubs.
I don’t believe however, that imposing suspensions for clubs contemplating leaving and having meetings on the matter is the way to go.
I’m not slamming the league, just stating clubs should be able to do so at this time of year without fear or retribution.
If there are rules and/or agreements in play all must abide by them for good reason and by law. Football/ Netball leagues and clubs are a democratic process .
Rules are changed in most organisations by way of significant major voting , I say most because the percentage of votes required to change a rule can vary . Likewise, boards who are entrusted to act in the best interest of all members are elected by way of majority .
Non acceptance of what the majority wants doesn’t provide instant ability to disregard rules and do what you want .

Last edited:
If there are rules and/or agreements in play all must abide by them for good reason and by law. Football/ Netball leagues and clubs are a democratic process .
Rules are changed in most organisations by way of significant major voting , I say most because the percentage of votes required to change a rule can vary . Likewise, boards who are entrusted to act in the best interest of all members are elected by way of majority .
Non acceptance of what the majority wants doesn’t provide instant ability to disregard rules and do what you want .
Generally I've got no issue with rules/regulation/agreements/policy/procedure - whichever ones applies to the situation. I'm well aware of how these things come to be and how they get changed. Once again most people understand things need to happen in certain ways.

But I think the issue people are struggling with is the application of these, and the repercussions that occurred that seemed to be over the top or iron fisted

Toc for example, "correct" procedure may have occurred, and by the letter of the law at the end of the day they may have been allowed to remain a PDFNL club, but after being left on read for weeks, and multiple parties dragged through the mud you can hardly blame them or anyone else not wanting to be tarred with that brush.

Who wants to go through all that, then effectively be made out to be the bad guy for ultimately deciding to leave?

The tunga/katandra issue this year too - seemingly on a whim to be locked out of their team registrations on a Thursday night? Yes it was resolved but these things need to be handled better and with a human touch.

With all these ongoing issues over the years its not hard to see where the dictatorship label has come from

Generally I've got no issue with rules/regulation/agreements/policy/procedure - whichever ones applies to the situation. I'm well aware of how these things come to be and how they get changed. Once again most people understand things need to happen in certain ways.

But I think the issue people are struggling with is the application of these, and the repercussions that occurred that seemed to be over the top or iron fisted

Toc for example, "correct" procedure may have occurred, and by the letter of the law at the end of the day they may have been allowed to remain a PDFNL club, but after being left on read for weeks, and multiple parties dragged through the mud you can hardly blame them or anyone else not wanting to be tarred with that brush.

Who wants to go through all that, then effectively be made out to be the bad guy for ultimately deciding to leave?

The tunga/katandra issue this year too - seemingly on a whim to be locked out of their team registrations on a Thursday night? Yes it was resolved but these things need to be handled better and with a human touch.

With all these ongoing issues over the years its not hard to see where the dictatorship label has come from
Tocumwal individuals who have held executive positions and were upon their board last year have been potting the league including upon social media for years .
It is common knowledge having been discussed at league meeting(s) since their departure, that the club was asked to attend a meeting with the board following many issues last year ( predominately with opposing clubs that were taken to the league ) and they then cut off communication , hence they were suspended until such were addressed .
During that time the club was actively and continually running a hate campaign within the media against the league .
The league probably had every right to expel them, but chose to continue to attempt to resolve issues in a manner which was clearly agreed by both parties , Toc obviously re-considered their position and duly opted to leave .
Is the league perfect, absolutely not, could they have handled the ongoing issues with Toc better, most definitely IMO and the solution may have been a harder approach as long as 5 years ago .
Maybe the reaction ( or overaction) to matters involving others since has been to avoid a repeat .
I am involved ( member only) in another non for profit organisation and it fascinates me that people want to lynch people within that organisation with limited information , and by gaining more information it is a completely different situation to what is public perception.
If you don’t break rules or agreements the reaction for doing so never comes into play .

Last edited:
I
Tocumwal individuals who have held executive positions and were upon their board last year have been potting the league including upon social media for years .
It is common knowledge having been discussed at league meeting(s) since their departure, that the club was asked to attend a meeting with the board following many issues last year ( predominately with opposing clubs that were taken to the league ) and they then cut off communication , hence they were suspended until such were addressed .
During that time the club was actively and continually running a hate campaign within the media against the league .
The league probably had every right to expel them, but chose to continue to attempt to resolve issues in a manner which was clearly agreed by both parties , Toc obviously re-considered their position and duly opted to leave .
Is the league perfect, absolutely not, could they have handled the ongoing issues with Toc better, most definitely IMO and the solution may have been a harder approach as long as 5 years ago .
Maybe the reaction ( or overaction) to matters involving others since has been to avoid a repeat .
I am involved ( member only) in another non for profit organisation and it fascinates me that people want to lynch people within that organisation with limited information , and by gaining more information it is a completely different situation to what is public perception.
If you don’t break rules or agreements the reaction for doing so never comes into play .
I would love to see this hate campaign that Toc were said to be running. I follow their FB page and I don’t recall seeing anything on there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah fair enough,

Anyways, has anyone heard anything on yarroweyah?
I would suggest they would need to have locked in a new coach by now to keep something happening next year.
While talking about coaches, anyone got news on how Blighty are tracking for a coach and playing stocks
It would seem that they need to add some quality players to become competitive, I think they had 4 from NT last year and averaged over 25 goal loosing margins
No thirds last year either

While talking about coaches, anyone got news on how Blighty are tracking for a coach and playing stock
It would seem that they need to add some quality players to become competitive, I think they had 4 from NT last year and averaged over 25 goal loosing margins
No thirds last year either

Blighty are an interesting case
As in where to from here
Do they need to have a year off seniors as yarroweyah did in 2022 and if they did would that allow them to consolidate and rebuild -> was that beneficial for Yarroweyah?
How does no thirds impact that?

Or does the league make them continue fielding a senior side as they did with Mathoura in 2022?

IMO Mathoura probably came out stronger from that year and the two differing approaches
The vibe at Mathoura was definitely more up and about than Yarroweyah fresh m an impartial spectators view

See Berrigan have appointed a new coach from Mulwala...any one got any info on him ?
Two former saints players played in Mulwala’s flag. Could be one of those?
Although I know a fair few at Berrigan were happy to see him leave last year.

Blighty are an interesting case
As in where to from here
Do they need to have a year off seniors as yarroweyah did in 2022 and if they did would that allow them to consolidate and rebuild -> was that beneficial for Yarroweyah?
How does no thirds impact that?

Or does the league make them continue fielding a senior side as they did with Mathoura in 2022?

IMO Mathoura probably came out stronger from that year and the two differing approaches
The vibe at Mathoura was definitely more up and about than Yarroweyah fresh m an impartial spectators view
With Blighty where do they try to entice players from Finley, Deni Rams or Deni rovers would think any of those clubs couldnt afford to lose to many.
Mathoura can tap into Echuca Moama being a larger population base

What the salary cap in PDFL this year

The AFL Victoria memo with all the leagues and their 2024 caps listed Picola as 'N/A' for next year and $95k in 2023, therefore it would be up to the league to set its own figure.

Does anyone know if a figure has been confirmed?

Pretty sure clubs have been told it will be the same as 2023 95k and scaled points based on ladder position

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The AFL Victoria memo with all the leagues and their 2024 caps listed Picola as 'N/A' for next year and $95k in 2023, therefore it would be up to the league to set its own figure.

Does anyone know if a figure has been confirmed?
Was confirmed during the finals .
Status quo

With Blighty where do they try to entice players from Finley, Deni Rams or Deni rovers would think any of those clubs couldnt afford to lose to many.
Mathoura can tap into Echuca Moama being a larger population base

What the salary cap in PDFL this year
Have heard an ex coach and ex player/s from deni could be heading back this year??

Pretty sure clubs have been told it will be the same as 2023 95k and scaled points based on ladder position

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will be interesting to see if the proposed new district league does get up what salary cap value is set and points structure the powers to be implement.

Either they set it to align with KDFNL as wasn’t it said that was where they wanted the PDFNL to drop back to and why the league did not affiliate?

Or they’ll at least match the PDFNL, which surely is either an admission they were wrong to want it lowered or a statement they are actually out to undermine the league ?

If it is the first lower option then be interesting if that’s been fully disclosed to and discussed with any prospective clubs as get the feeling some current PDFNL clubs might legitably struggle to trim $20k odd off their game day payments…..and the KDFNL clubs would be licking their lips if it was the second senario and they were able to splash a bit of extra cash in their recruitment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back