Picola & District Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey mate - I got the kids to do a bit of digging for you last night
They found a video on The Local Footy Show facebook page from 2018 when they visited Waaia to interview Shane Railton and in the piece he stated "its been well publicised that our clubs have gained $80,000" .........(from fees with not being affiliateddata base, insurance etc) ......and "our clubs will receive record profits back "
There was also reference/picture of an article written by Aaron Langmaid in which this figure is also quoted - the kids tried to find the article for you titled in the video "Bush Leagues opts to Keep Costs Down" but couldn't find it, but did find they assumed the same article on the Herald Sun site from March 6 2018 titled "Picola District Football and Netball League cut ties with AFL Victoria as both included the same picture of Waaia lads.
That’s was during the season not after the season as you quoted .
Whilst $80k was the quoted gain from not being affiliated .
What was the operating profit figure you claim was publicised at the end of the season ?

Hey mate - I got the kids to do a bit of digging for you last night
They found a video on The Local Footy Show facebook page from 2018 when they visited Waaia to interview Shane Railton and in the piece he stated "its been well publicised that our clubs have gained $80,000" .........(from fees with not being affiliateddata base, insurance etc) ......and "our clubs will receive record profits back "
There was also reference/picture of an article written by Aaron Langmaid in which this figure is also quoted - the kids tried to find the article for you titled in the video "Bush Leagues opts to Keep Costs Down" but couldn't find it, but did find they assumed the same article on the Herald Sun site from March 6 2018 titled "Picola District Football and Netball League cut ties with AFL Victoria as both included the same picture of Waaia lads.

That was during the season not ‘ after the conclusion of the 2018 year ‘ and the $80k was clearly referencing the reduction in costs by not being affiliated .

What was the ‘ payout/profit sharing PDFNL clubs received from the league ‘ that was ‘ well publicised ‘ ‘After the conclusion of the 2018 year ‘ ?

‘After the conclusion of the 2018 year of non-affiliation it was well publicised the substantial payout/profit sharing PDFNL clubs received from the league - has this been/ going to be repeated for the 2023 year? ‘

That was during the season not ‘ after the conclusion of the 2018 year ‘ and the $80k was clearly referencing the reduction in costs by not being affiliated .

What was the ‘ payout/profit sharing PDFNL clubs received from the league ‘ that was ‘ well publicised ‘ ‘After the conclusion of the 2018 year ‘ ?

‘After the conclusion of the 2018 year of non-affiliation it was well publicised the substantial payout/profit sharing PDFNL clubs received from the league - has this been/ going to be repeated for the 2023 year? ‘

Sorry I don't know why you are being such a goose about this?

I honestly thought I had read or heard something about how much the clubs received at the end of 2018 - I thought it was around $8k each but hadn't said that as wasn't certain.

Since you asked for the article - in haste and feeling the worse for wear after a decent Saturday session I found and shared what I thought was the article - as you pointed out I was mistaken.

So at your further request I got the kids onto trying to track it down and they found the interview and article mentioned in my next post - sorry if was past their bedtimes so didn't get them to dig further and I don't really think it matters anyways. Maybe I was mistaken and it was that article and interview I was thinking of - does it actually matter that much?

My original point was that being un-affiliated in 2018 didn't harm the league - I was under the impression from those involved it actually strengthened the league and raised a lot of issues and awareness statewide about RAC's and administration models, fees, costs etc, which has had numerous positive flow on effects since.
Bit like how Kyneton's very public exit from the RAC administered Bendigo league to the non-hub run Riddell league has raised a fair bit of coverage, discussion and inward looking as to the pro's and con's of hub administration.

Both the article I wrongly posted and the interview - which may have been what I had been thinking of - demonstrate that the league was and continues to be in good financial shape.

IIRC - someone said something - can't remember specifically time and place sorry - that it is part of the leagues regulations actually that each year profits are shared between member clubs as determined by the board or something - and announced or distributed before the league AGM and the two examples noted here are not the exception. Hope that's right?

I presume if anyone wants to know the exact figures of how much each club gets each year they could either jump onto their club committee or call the Ops manager as rumour has it he is very approachable - well he said that in that interview.

I honestly thought I had read or heard something about how much the clubs received at the end of 2018 - I thought it was around $8k each but hadn't said that as wasn't certain.

Since you asked for the article - in haste and feeling the worse for wear after a decent Saturday session I found and shared what I thought was the article - as you pointed out I was mistaken.

So at your further request I got the kids onto trying to track it down and they found the interview and article mentioned in my next post - sorry if was past their bedtimes so didn't get them to dig further and I don't really think it matters anyways. Maybe I was mistaken and it was that article and interview I was thinking of - does it actually matter that much?

My original point was that being un-affiliated in 2018 didn't harm the league - I was under the impression from those involved it actually strengthened the league and raised a lot of issues and awareness statewide about RAC's and administration models, fees, costs etc, which has had numerous positive flow on effects since.
Bit like how Kyneton's very public exit from the RAC administered Bendigo league to the non-hub run Riddell league has raised a fair bit of coverage, discussion and inward looking as to the pro's and con's of hub administration.

Both the article I wrongly posted and the interview - which may have been what I had been thinking of - demonstrate that the league was and continues to be in good financial shape.

IIRC - someone said something - can't remember specifically time and place sorry - that it is part of the leagues regulations actually that each year profits are shared between member clubs as determined by the board or something - and announced or distributed before the league AGM and the two examples noted here are not the exception. Hope that's right?

I presume if anyone wants to know the exact figures of how much each club gets each year they could either jump onto their club committee or call the Ops manager as rumour has it he is very approachable - well he said that in that interview.

Don’t dare question or challenge him

You made it up , you don’t need to blame your children nor a hang over .

Any early ladder predictions anyone?

Katunga
Waaia
Strathy
Deni
Tunga
Katandra
Jerilderie
Katty
Toc
Picola
Berrigan
Rennie
Mathoura
Blighty
Yarra

Waaia to come back to the pack with Holland gone,
Katunga with a couple of handy pickups and not huge departures to make granny
Deni to be big improvers with some ready made 3rds from last year
Rest around the same

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Katunga
Waaia
Strathy
Deni
Tunga
Katandra
Jerilderie
Katty
Toc
Picola
Berrigan
Rennie
Mathoura
Blighty
Yarra

Waaia to come back to the pack with Holland gone,
Katunga with a couple of handy pickups and not huge departures to make granny
Deni to be big improvers with some ready made 3rds from last year
Rest around the same

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not huge departures? From what I've heard so far they've lost a good 8-10 players from their prelim side?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prefer a split?
I reckon that 10 to 12 per league is better long term. A poor performing club is never far away from being a chance of a flag. Making clubs more geographically closer would help retention and jnrs.

I'm just thinking out loud as another option which doesn't solve everything would be rename picola league because of the stink it has. Have div 1 and div 2 with promotion and relegation which it should have had 10 yrs ago. Standard of footy levels out in each division, travel still an issue.

From 2009 - 2017 Picola league was split into 2 leagues. Picola South East & Picola North West. That appeared to work ok. Don’t think 2 divisions with relegation is the way to go. Promotion & relegation affects all grades of footy & netball not just your senior footy. Would do more harm than good.
Fair enough makes sense, I was just thinking out loud. I will say Shepparton District FNL has a nice ring to it

I reckon that 10 to 12 per league is better long term. A poor performing club is never far away from being a chance of a flag. Making clubs more geographically closer would help retention and jnrs.

I'm just thinking out loud as another option which doesn't solve everything would be rename picola league because of the stink it has. Have div 1 and div 2 with promotion and relegation which it should have had 10 yrs ago. Standard of footy levels out in each division, travel still an issue.
Fair enough makes sense, I was just thinking out loud. I will say Shepparton District FNL has a nice ring to it

Hey I don't want to sound disrespectful but wow!! Anyone with even the slightest involvement in country footy and netball where clubs have juniors and seniors playing together on the same day understands the totally impractical nature of promotion/relegation divisional leagues for country footy.

They are fine where you are a semi-rural based league centered around the larger rural cities and towns and where you only have teams from u18 or older upwards. That is why there is the likes of GM junior league, Bendigo Junior or Riddell Juniors etc to cater for the younger age brackets who are sort of sometimes connected to the parent club, kind of, and where those junior teams have grading rounds before competition proper kicks off to set their divisions and competition structure.

The fundamental basis and strength of football and netball in this region is the whole club approach from the littlest tikes in 5ths and minis to the big girls and guys in the senior grades - that is why PDFNL is often referred to as the family league. Some clubs in the MFL also try to promote themselves for great family environment - (which isn't quite legit when several also have kids playing in other comps away from the rest of the club) - but they don't cater for the fuller spectrum of ages that the PDFNL does.

As for the KDFNL - well - ask yourself why they had the larger number of clubs wanting to move to the proposed alternate league (that mirrored the PDFNL team structure) than those wanting to leave the PDFNL?

As for your renaming suggestion - do you even know where all the clubs are in the PDFNL? The center of the league may not be around Picola as much anymore but only one club is actually located in the Greater Shepparton LGA? The other 7 Victorian clubs all are located in the Moira shire and the 7 NSW clubs are spread between five different LGA's.

Is there a particular reason you are so anti the PDFNL and how they are operating?
Is it something to do with the administration or the fact they have been successful (again) whilst unaffiliated?
Again surely the fact only two clubs put their hands up expressing interest in exiting the league is a pretty clear indication that for the majority of clubs the how and what they are doing is suiting the local people, and isn't that what's matters, local leagues for local people to become engaged in and belong too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back