Picola & District Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting to see if the proposed new district league does get up what salary cap value is set and points structure the powers to be implement.

Either they set it to align with KDFNL as wasn’t it said that was where they wanted the PDFNL to drop back to and why the league did not affiliate?

Or they’ll at least match the PDFNL, which surely is either an admission they were wrong to want it lowered or a statement they are actually out to undermine the league ?

If it is the first lower option then be interesting if that’s been fully disclosed to and discussed with any prospective clubs as get the feeling some current PDFNL clubs might legitably struggle to trim $20k odd off their game day payments…..and the KDFNL clubs would be licking their lips if it was the second senario and they were able to splash a bit of extra cash in their recruitment

Post from Shepp east on Facebook about meeting Thursday , reckon it’s almost up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would have thought it would be a compromise between KDL and PDL
85k and Low 40’s ?

Of the 7 clubs that were rumoured to be involved 4 of them have forfeited under 17 or under 18 games since returning from covid or just not had a side for the whole year . Whilst the other 3 have consistently been challenging.
Significant variation in 1 point players .

With the rumoured talk the Murray District league has been given a big HELL NO from the powers to be, and the statement made previously that if not for travel certain clubs would already have transited to the PDFNL, does that put the league back into expansion mode with a possible re-dividing into two zones?

Would the current clubs welcome back previously departed clubs with as open arms as they have with Katandra and Tungamah a couple of years ago?

Was that the right call in hindsight?

Is there interest in getting some other new clubs into the league?

Or is the current status quo okay with the majority?

Be interested in what those in clubland are thinking.

With the rumoured talk the Murray District league has been given a big HELL NO from the powers to be, and the statement made previously that if not for travel certain clubs would already have transited to the PDFNL, does that put the league back into expansion mode with a possible re-dividing into two zones?

Would the current clubs welcome back previously departed clubs with as open arms as they have with Katandra and Tungamah a couple of years ago?

I think the biggest issue for the league at the moment is closing the gap between the top and bottom sides

What’s the future look like for blighty. Yarra and berrigan. All 3 sides where way off the mark and I’m not too sure if and how they can get back too being competitive

I reckon if the PDFNL was an attractive option Shep east, Dookie, Murch and Undera would have been keen to go there and give them enough clubs to discuss splitting again.
They obviously didn’t see them as a viable option for whatever reason so went down the path of trying to get new league up and going which suited their needs
I think there is a huge hole in the structure of footy in the area north of Shep, and south of the Murray .

I couldn’t care a less which banner it was under but clubs like Tunga, Dookie, Shep east, Waaia, Strathy, Katunga, Katamatite , Violet Town , Toc
Undera etc would make a great centralised league with low travel, good gates and although a couple of clubs didn’t have thirds last year they appear committed to getting them back.
The PDFNL structure would suit this but Affiliation may be an issue

I reckon if the PDFNL was an attractive option Shep east, Dookie, Murch and Undera would have been keen to go there and give them enough clubs to discuss splitting again.
They obviously didn’t see them as a viable option for whatever reason so went down the path of trying to get new league up and going which suited their needs
I think there is a huge hole in the structure of footy in the area north of Shep, and south of the Murray .

I couldn’t care a less which banner it was under but clubs like Tunga, Dookie, Shep east, Waaia, Strathy, Katunga, Katamatite , Violet Town , Toc
Undera etc would make a great centralised league with low travel, good gates and although a couple of clubs didn’t have thirds last year they appear committed to getting them back.
The PDFNL structure would suit this but Affiliation may be an issue

Don’t recall the Picola League ever expressing publicly a desire to take any and every club wishing to join , nor confirming a desire to expand.

I think there was only a small number of PDFNL clubs in favour of a return to the split divisions. Recruiting other teams in now may be hard without affiliation. Although with AFLGM now putting a stop to MD League, if the junior set up in KDFL doesn’t change for the better they may find Picola attractive once again.

A few clubs posting a bit of recruitment and re-signing news
Is the league continuing with gameday or going back to PlayHQ?
If staying with status quo will early clearances open and be visible from November like the good ole days?

Sorry, new to the thread and seeing all the posts regarding clubs in the league, will the same 14 clubs at Senior Level be in the league next year, or are some clubs moving leagues?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, new to the thread and seeing all the posts regarding clubs in the league, will the same 14 clubs at Senior Level be in the league next year, or are some clubs moving leagues?
Yes I believe all 14 clubs will be in the league once again. As far as recruiting has gone. I see Tungamah and Katunga have landed some handy players, both clubs looking to take the next step after playing off in prelims this year. Haven’t heard a lot from other clubs apart from re- signings.

Yes I believe all 14 clubs will be in the league once again. As far as recruiting has gone. I see Tungamah and Katunga have landed some handy players, both clubs looking to take the next step after playing off in prelims this year. Haven’t heard a lot from other clubs apart from re- signings.
Katunga lost some good ones as well but I'd say they will come up handy when it's all done and dusted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back