Autopsy Pies v Kuwarna (Crows) - AFL Rd 10, 2024 - Sat May 18TH 1:45PM (M.C.G.)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You cant say that for sure.

It may have been correct by the letter of the law but is overlooked multiple times in every game.
See that bold bit there.
What you are saying is, the umpire got it correct, but many times they get it incorrect.

So next time you see them get in incorrect against your team, I expect a thread started by you.

But you WOULDNT be sooking, would you? Being gifted games routinely is obviously something the Collingwood fan base is very comfortable with.
Is this about us now is it?
If you want to go look at the match day thread after the 2018 GF, you will see when heaps were sooking about the Maynard non call, I said, it may have been there, but our 1st goal from Stevenson, should have been a free to WC.

So you see, I do acknowledge we get the rub of the green sometimes, you don't seem to want to do that, it's a conspiracy against Port, see the difference?
I bet not.

Let’s be honest, counting steps or measuring metres isn’t really that relevant.

Umpires are not counting how many steps a player takes of tracking how many metres they think a player has run. They pretty much vibe it which is why it’s nearly never paid, because it has to be obvious for the umpires to pick up on it.

The fact that all the commentators had no clue what had been paid is a sign it wasn’t an obvious free. Why did the umpire all of a sudden decide to pay it?
So we’ve gone from Adelaide supporters saying the ump got it wrong, to they should have put the whistle away because of the time left, and now we have this amazing perspective of oh it’s the vibe. Amazing.

Outside of that pearler, if you’re going by what the commentators think, then clearly you were up in arms a few minutes earlier when Keane was tackled in the pies forward 50 and threw the ball but wasn’t penalised? Because the commentators all said he got away with one there, and clearly what they say is right all the time according to your post?

What’s astonishing is that you don’t understand sarcasm.

Have you just been dropped from another planet and assumed human form?

From not understanding how the 100m is run at the olympics and an inability to detect obvious sarcasm I suspect you’re not the sharpest tool in the shed.
So it was a contentious decision?

The umpire made an incorrect call by allowing the player to run 7 more metres than what the rule states?

See that bold bit there.
What you are saying is, the umpire got it correct, but many times there get it incorrect.

So next time you see them get in incorrect against your team, I expect a thread started by you.
Its an extremely hard game to adjudicate which is why so many decisions lead to confusion amongst the fans.

That doesnt change the increasing frequency where aspects that do or dont get called seem to work out perfectly when it suits a particular set of fans.

Show me an example of Drapers blatent sleeping on the ball that didnt get paid to a Vic club.
Doesnt happen, would be called 100% of the time.

So it was a contentious decision?

The umpire made an incorrect call by allowing the player to run 7 more metres than what the rule states?
There are two things in footy:
1. The rules as they’re written on paper
2. The overwhelming patterns of how they are officiated, and in turn how players can expect them to be officiated.

If the umpire in that moment decided all of a sudden that he wants to officiate the rules as per how they’re written, then that’s contentious.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Its an extremely hard game to adjudicate which is why so many decisions lead to confusion amongst the fans.

That doesnt change the increasing frequency where aspects that do or dont get called seem to work out perfectly when it suits a particular set of fans.

Show me an example of Drapers blatent sleeping on the ball that didnt get paid to a Vic club.
Doesnt happen, would be called 100% of the time.
If I wanted to, which I don't because I don't care enough, I could go find 1000's of examples where an umpire could or could not pay frees.
It's not a conspiracy, if you think it is, why do you still follow the game?

... now we have this amazing perspective of oh it’s the vibe. Amazing.
How do you think umpires measure the Too Far rule?

Do you think they start counting steps every time a player takes possession of the ball?
Or do they make a mental note of the spot on the ground where the player takes possession?

No, of course not. That's impossible.

It's their gut feel. They guess. And that's why they so rarely ever pay it. And it's also why they usually only pay it once the dude has run about 40m.

That's why the decision yesterday was so awful. To suddenly guess at that point of the game, when you haven't guessed once all season was just terrible.

Umpires call an incorrect decision = “**** him he cost us the match”

Umpires call a correct decision = “**** him he cost us the match / we would have scored the winner for sure / where is his sense of theatre? / put the whistle away at the end! / you dont pay that at the very end / same thing happened 12 mins into the 2nd quarter that wasnt paid”

Who would want to be an umpire? Just cant win.

Do you think they start counting steps every time a player takes possession of the ball?
Or do they make a mental note of the spot on the ground where the player takes possession?

It's their gut feel. They guess. And that's why they so rarely ever pay it. And it's also why they usually only pay it once the dude has run about 40m.

That's why the decision yesterday was so awful. To suddenly guess at that point of the game, when you haven't guessed once all season was just terrible.
A correct decision was “so awful” ?

Ive heard it all now. Ridiculous.

Umpires call an incorrect decision = “heck him he cost us the match”

Umpires call a correct decision = “heck him he cost us the match / we would have scored the winner for sure / where is his sense of theatre? / put the whistle away at the end! / you dont pay that at the very end / same thing happened 12 mins into the 2nd quarter that wasnt paid”

Who would want to be an umpire? Just cant win.
A correct decision was “so awful” ?

Ive heard it all now. Ridiculous.
Gaslighting.

2023. V Hawthorn. Rankine clearly runs out of bounds with ball & snaps goal from pocket 2 mins on clock final qtr. 3 point loss. Absolute howler.
23/4/23.

So you had 2 minutes to counter that howler yeah.
Adelaide V Essendon, dying seconds
Adelaide V Collingwood, dying seconds.

Next.
Adelaide had a mountain of time after the Degiey goal to counter.

There was a non free of front on contact to Schultz moments before…

You’ve stopped making sense.

In the last three minutes of the game we had the following happen:

- Keane tackled in his D50 arguably with prior opportunity and disposes of the ball incorrectly - NO CALL, missed

- Schultz very clearly infringed via front on contact trying to mark the ball - NO CALL, missed

- Rankine runs to far - CORRECT CALL

Guess which one is getting the most talk? Not to mention Walker was holding Moore’s arm in the contest after the Rankine kick.

Seems like Pies win was the fair and logical outcome from the above late calls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest question I have from this is how many days will the Adelaide media run with this ‘controversial’ decision? From memory, Jordan Dawson had a sit down interview 3 or 4 days after the Pies game last year?

Adelaide had a mountain of time after the Degiey goal to counter.

There was a non free of front on contact to Schultz moments before…

You’ve stopped making sense.
Yes, and if not for a call that isnt called 99% of the time, Adelaide had put themselves in a position to potentially counter Degoey's goal.
Collingwood took clear possession from an often ignored interpretation.

Yes, and if not for a call that isnt called 99% of the time, Adelaide had put themselves in a position to potentially counter Degoey's goal.
Collingwood took clear possession from an often ignored interpretation.
Adelaide would have put their team ILLEGALLY in position.
You failed to add this, you even admit it was the right call.

I ask again, if you think it's a conspiracy, why do you still follow the game?

Free kicks in the first 3 quarters:

Adelaide 7
Collingwood 7

Free kicks in the last quarter:

Adelaide 4
Collingwood 1

You know this is a footy forum right?

This is literally designed for people to discuss things relating to the footy.

There's people still arguing about s**t that happened in the 80s - and you're laughing at people discussing something contentious that happened less than 24 hours ago??

I think you're in the wrong place dude.
You have only got to mention the 79 Grand Final to trigger Pies fans about a correct umpiring decision.

You could actually make the argument that Adelaide, in its tight finishes, is actually mimmicking how Collingwood have gone about securing last minute victories.
Nailing Draper in their goal square with seconds to play.
Rankine streaming down the wing and delivering deep in the 50 with seconds to play.
Unfortunately one that always gets paid wasnt and one that rarely gets paid was.

Go figure

This is some next level laughable bullshit.

The umpire has found himself in a position where he has to make a judgment call with 10 seconds to go in a one-kick game. A judgment call on one of the most difficult rules in the game to assess.

In that moment, his job is to enforce the rules as he sees them. He is not responsible for other umpires missing it previously. He is not responsible for the clowns at AFL house who make the game ridiculously difficult to umpire. He has to call the game as he sees it.

Replays show beyond any doubt he was 100% correct.

That umpire should be applauded. God knows he would have been ridiculed from pillar to post if he got it wrong.

Now if you want to start a discussion on the overall merits of the rule and how it is more broadly applied, then go for it. I agree with you. But asking the umpire to make allowances for that on the spot is nothing short of insane.

Yes - but by never paying something, you're effectively redefining the interpretation.

The 'Too Far' has not literally been 15m for decades. It's closer to 40m. But suddenly, out of the blue, in one instance the umpire decides that it's 15m again!

It's not the first time in a game this season or this "decade" a free kick has been paid for running to far......
And once again the umpire paid the free kick as per the rules of the game.
Also your presumption that with the F50 entry, Adelaide were going to score a goal, and in consequence that cost them the game is ridiculous. Im pretty sure the kick went to a contest, which ultimately went to ground and was about to cause a ball up, with 12 seconds on the clock.
Also what cost Adelaide the game was their inability to kick goals despite the number of F50 entries they had, which is credit to the Pies defence.
To focus on one incident in the whole game, is real tunnel vision, and not looking at the game in totality. Did you even watch the game?

Back