Review Player Ratings Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodes did go into the centre square a few times. Had a few clearances chances smothered or blocked but he was definitely in the centre quite a few times throughout the game.

Not nearly enough and not in the 2nd quarter where we lost the game. For all Longmire's praises he is very reactionary. It is almost a 2nd thought to change structure.

I'm pretty sure he was starting centre bounces in the 2nd quarter actually. Someone would have to be willing to watch the replay (I've seen about 30 mins of it in patches so far) but I have a strong feeling he was in the middle in the 2nd quarter.

Unfortunately, I don't think there were all that many things to try yesterday. Hawthorn were as hot as they have been in a very long time and we were pitifully unwilling to do anything about it. Structural changes won't make up for a basic lack of effort/intensity. That doesn't excuse Longmire from culpability as he has to ensure the players are in the right frame of mind. I just feel the players have to hold the bulk of the responsibility on this one.

I'm pretty sure he was starting centre bounces in the 2nd quarter actually. Someone would have to be willing to watch the replay (I've seen about 30 mins of it in patches so far) but I have a strong feeling he was in the middle in the 2nd quarter.

Unfortunately, I don't think there were all that many things to try yesterday. Hawthorn were as hot as they have been in a very long time and we were pitifully unwilling to do anything about it.

I love the game but I sure as heck am not re watching the game! I was saying 'put Goodes in the middle' all through the 2nd quarter. Doubt he was there.

does jetta play for us?
i would never have guessed based off yesterdays performance

Jette plays the role Isaac Smith & Hill play at the Hawks. They don't do the hard stuff. they just wait on the outskirts waiting for the moment their mids win the clearance. We were smashed in this area rendering Jetta useless. You can't blame him.

Jette plays the role Isaac Smith & Hill play at the Hawks. They don't do the hard stuff. they just wait on the outskirts waiting for the moment their mids win the clearance. We were smashed in this area rendering Jetta useless. You can't blame him.

No he doesn't. All i've heard this year is that Jetta has changed his game from a line breaker like smith and hill to a more defensive and inside game (jetta even said that himself this week). So dont give me that BS of comparing him to hill and smith. He hasn't played like that for 2 years.

And even if he was that type of player, there is no excuse for a lack of effort. I absolutely can blame him for not trying, and don't try and tell me otherwise. Although even he played the game of his life we still would've got slaughtered.

Part of me wants to place the blame on the coaches. In 2012, you had one of the most exciting, damaging players in the competition and you try to manufacture him into a player he isn't. You acknowledge your need for pace at the end of 2013, but instead of utilising jetta's pace you drop ROK and put in jake lloyd and harry cunningham.

Unfortunately, I don't think there were all that many things to try yesterday. Hawthorn were as hot as they have been in a very long time and we were pitifully unwilling to do anything about it. Structural changes won't make up for a basic lack of effort/intensity. That doesn't excuse Longmire from culpability as he has to ensure the players are in the right frame of mind. I just feel the players have to hold the bulk of the responsibility on this one.
Yeah he was a few times in the 2nd & 3rd. Don't remember anything from the 4th I tuned out and left half way through.

There is no way in hell that Malceski had a good game. He was utter s**t, almost as bad as Shaw, turned it over constantly and hardly laid a tackle.

Bullshit. He didn't work either way and was beaten by Ben ******* McEvoy to a contest. Jetta, one of the fastest guys in the AFL, beaten cold by a lumbering ruckman. Call him out and blame him I will. Was he responsible for our loss? No, but he sure contributed to it quite well.

Yeah he was a few times in the 2nd & 3rd. Don't remember anything from the 4th I tuned out and left half way through.

There is no way in hell that Malceski had a good game. He was utter s**t, almost as bad as Shaw, turned it over constantly and hardly laid a tackle.

Bullshit. He didn't work either way and was beaten by Ben ******* McEvoy to a contest. Jetta, one of the fastest guys in the AFL, beaten cold by a lumbering ruckman. Call him out and blame him I will. Was he responsible for our loss? No, but he sure contributed to it quite well.

Jetta won't be at our club in two years. Problem solved.

My problem with this thread is it's supposed to be about rating players on the GF not making calls on whether players have a future with the club. If you want to do that then it's got to be about their whole year. A week ago most of these players were considered gods. Parker was AA, triple Brownlow, Team of the Millennium, O.B.E, Peer of the Realm and future Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. He's a damn good player and has been all year. No way would I trade him, but F**&K he played like a bloody AusKicker in the GF.

This has been said a few times. It is wrong. It happened in front of me. The ball bounced on its end and went to McEvoy not to jetta. As the ball bounced on its point in the goal square for gunstons first goal in the first quarter and on its end for langfords goal in the third.

Again it's fair to criticise him for a few half hearted chases - one effort on Langford in the first was eerily reminiscent of goodes in there round 18 game where the player just waltzed past on the boundary side. But do criticise him for the things he could control, not those that he couldn't.

I blame our mids. The forwards got no feed and the backs were under constant attack.

Parker, Hanners, McGlynn. Did these guys even get off the team bus ?

Actually I thought the backs did pretty well. Just for the sake of restating the stat - inside fiftys were 27-8 half way through the second just after the floodgates cracked. Three of our inside fiftys were mcglynn goaling from 65, Kennedy goaling from 55 and buddy missing from 55. Balls actually played into the fifty were five. We simply couldn't move the ball forward. And that was a combination of their pressure our game plan and our skills.

People can say all they want about jetta (and Cunningham, and Lloyd neither of whom have had a word said about them but both of whom were equally anonymous) but the fact remains that it was our prime movers who were destroyed. Point the finger at mcveigh, jack, hanners, Parker, pyke,mal, shaw, rampe, Kennedy. That is where the game was lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has been said a few times. It is wrong. It happened in front of me. The ball bounced on its end and went to McEvoy not to jetta. As the ball bounced on its point in the goal square for gunstons first goal in the first quarter and on its end for langfords goal in the third.

Again it's fair to criticise him for a few half hearted chases - one effort on Langford in the first was eerily reminiscent of goodes in there round 18 game where the player just waltzed past on the boundary side. But do criticise him for the things he could control, not those that he couldn't.
Nah it isn't that one that we're talking about, it's a footrace. I remember seeing it on the screen and thinking that Smith or whoever it was could have tried to body McEvoy but completely missed it.

Nah it isn't that one that we're talking about, it's a footrace. I remember seeing it on the screen and thinking that Smith or whoever it was could have tried to body McEvoy but completely missed it.

The very first one with Hill, he should of got some body on hill after he corralled to prevent him going to the middle to whoever it was....he was very good in 2012 so has the record, I wouldn't base anything on yesterday or we are trading 20 players....

A few put their hand up yesterday
Honestly, I think if you put laidler in malceskis position an Jones in shaws position, we might have actually done better yesterday, malceskis kicking was f****** dreadful an Shaw couldn't tell his foot from his ass, jetta IS not even worth discussing, an our midfield apart from Kennedy got smashed. Tom Mitchell is a balL magnet, I know his disposal Isn't great but HE wins CLEARANCES an he's the type of bloke to quickly grab the ball an kick it into the 50, NOONE DID THAT YESTERDAY

Signs were there in the Freo game who were missing 2 of their best defenders and we struggled to put them away at home.

Dunno, look we are clearly one of the better sides but hawks picked out the weak areas and drove a truck though them

Signs were there in the Freo game who were missing 2 of their best defenders and we struggled to put them away at home.

Yep and as much as we loved to smash the Roos, that was the WORST possible prelim. You want a tough prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back