Resource Players Out of Contract 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

And next October he's 28 and the next season he will be playing in 2017 he'll be turning 29 that year.

I suppose he'll be a fresh 28.5 year old starting the 2017 season, bruise free.

He's the best FB in the comp so he's got that going for him, And we know he can pinch hit forward as well now.

He's very much water off a ducks back as well, He's very level headed and doesn't let anything get him down.

How are we going to replace that talent if we won't get an value for them?

If they want leave fine but **** me would rather done via a trade.

I doubt many will leave to be honest. They've stuck it through to this point.

I wouldn't say Schofield has superb kicking, in fact he did several serious clangers last season one I recall almost cost me a TV set. I also recall him getting caught by Rioli or setting someone up pretty badly by hand, seriously cringeworthy. He is better than Brown though I do agree.
The only real clangers I can remember is when he is caught holding the ball whilst playing on . Not kicking clangers . He is very good by foot especially on long kicks and when we switch . So much better kick than emac or brown who can be massive liability with ball in hand

No one wants to trade with essendon . They are campaigners at the trade table .
As shown by letting Monfries go for less than market value, Cooney getting to Essendon from over market value, Chappy getting to Essendon for a token pick, Melksham deal getting done quickly, helping Shaun Burgoyne get to Hawthorn of all clubs, getting Edwards and Aylett for a cheap as chips deal, and Gumbleton going to Freo for around market value.

This is a massive myth. Because they wanted fair value for Ryder, because a late teens pick wasn't enough? Because they didn't want a second round pick and a player we didn't need for Carlisle? And how dare Essendon want more than a mid-20's pick for their back-to-back-to-back leading goalscorer who was offered nearly half a million a year! And the gall of refusing to trade a gun key defender and a first round pick for a bloke who played 2 games! Such campaigners to deal with!

As shown by letting Monfries go for less than market value, Cooney getting to Essendon from over market value, Chappy getting to Essendon for a token pick, Melksham deal getting done quickly, helping Shaun Burgoyne get to Hawthorn of all clubs, getting Edwards and Aylett for a cheap as chips deal, and Gumbleton going to Freo for around market value.

This is a massive myth. Because they wanted fair value for Ryder, because a late teens pick wasn't enough? Because they didn't want a second round pick and a player we didn't need for Carlisle? And how dare Essendon want more than a mid-20's pick for their back-to-back-to-back leading goalscorer who was offered nearly half a million a year! And the gall of refusing to trade a gun key defender and a first round pick for a bloke who played 2 games! Such campaigners to deal with!

What do clubs expect when they wan't our gun players for peanuts? do they want us to give them away and be like "Thanks for coming nice doing business with you" lol.

Wonder if a club like Hawthorn would be ok if they got offered a late second round pick for Cyril.

Last edited:
What you guys were demanding for Carlisle (pick 5) was ridiculous, given that what has happened since was always a very real possibility (him getting in trouble for something stupid and then getting banned by WADA, as so many of us said could be the case- which was met by your childish "ooga booga" responses. LOL). There were some serious questionmarks on him, to go with the fact that he hadn't played consistently good football for two years, yet you all had a massive sook that we didn't just hand over pick 5 straight out, as if you guys were doing us some huge Andrew Lovett-like favour!

DFA compensation. If you lost The 3 x H's you would get 3 end of first round picks I would have thought. If the players did want to leave via trade it would effect compensation for others that might leave.... I think.

What you guys were demanding for Carlisle (pick 5) was ridiculous, given that what has happened since was always a very real possibility (him getting in trouble for something stupid and then getting banned by WADA, as so many of us said could be the case- which was met by your childish "ooga booga" responses. LOL). There were some serious questionmarks on him, to go with the fact that he hadn't played consistently good football for two years, yet you all had a massive sook that we didn't just hand over pick 5 straight out, as if you guys were doing us some huge Andrew Lovett-like favour!
Can't argue with delusion like that.

DFA compensation. If you lost The 3 x H's you would get 3 end of first round picks I would have thought. If the players did want to leave via trade it would effect compensation for others that might leave.... I think.

DFAs don't generate compensation.

You're still moaning about that? You got a great deal, considering how amateurish you behaved. Get over it.

More frees left as an unrestricted FA . After acquiring Goddard you should have received nothing . You got lucky port were protecting their FA compo and offered a pick .
Pick 37 wasn't overs for Cooney . You stalled so long on the Ryder trade you had no choice but to get it done quick .
Chappy was nothing to do with you . Geelong traded him as a gesture of good faith . Essendon benefited
Melksham deal got done quickly because you got offered pick 25 for that spud ! You couldn't sign the papers quick enough .
Gumbleton was cooked and you knew it ! Selling dodgy goods just like ........ Carlisle
Carlisle deal was stalled and you wouldn't accept anything apart from pick five even after you put him through the supplement saga and new about his sniff sniff video .
But it's not all about the trades that get done but all the trades that don't even get off the ground because clubs don't want to deal with Essendon
But not anymore ! Clubs are going to love dealing with Essendon this year .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More frees left as an unrestricted FA . After acquiring Goddard you should have received nothing . You got lucky port were protecting their FA compo and offered a pick .
Pick 37 wasn't overs for Cooney . You stalled so long on the Ryder trade you had no choice but to get it done quick .
Chappy was nothing to do with you . Geelong traded him as a gesture of good faith . Essendon benefited
Melksham deal got done quickly because you got offered pick 25 for that spud ! You couldn't sign the papers quick enough .
Gumbleton was cooked and you knew it ! Selling dodgy goods just like ........ Carlisle
Carlisle deal was stalled and you wouldn't accept anything apart from pick five even after you put him through the supplement saga and new about his sniff sniff video .
But it's not all about the trades that get done but all the trades that don't even get off the ground because clubs don't want to deal with Essendon
But not anymore ! Clubs are going to love dealing with Essendon this year .
Monfries left, but both clubs benefited more from a trade deal.

Pick 37 was overs for Cooney, his knees are shot. And stalling on the Ryder deal when they were only offering pick 17, which was less than what Ben McEvoy got?

Fair point on the Chappy deal.

Melksham deal was done quickly because both parties knew what the other wanted and were happy to give that up.

Gumby had a lot of injuries, but we sent him there for a mid-50's pick. He passed a medical at Freo.

Carlisle deal was stalled because they thought that they could wait around and just offer pick 24 and a hack/player that wasn't required in Sipposs and Hickey, then got shown up by Hawthorn. You have to literally be the only non St. Kilda supporter who thinks it was Dodoro's fault for not accepting 24 + Hickey/Sipposs. They refused to even entertain pick 5 as part of the deal until Hawthorn came to the party.

Oh, is that right? Newsflash: Lots of trades don't get done because players decide they want to stay, many other clubs refuse to let them go. Essendon's "hard to deal with" mantra is beyond stupid nowadays and has been a myth since Sheedy left. If any club should have the label "hard to deal with" now it's Gold Coast.

Why would a team trade for them when they can get them as a FA? Seriously, do you know how stupid that sounds?

'Hey Essendon, we can get Hurley without losing a pick, but we want to help you out and give you our 2016/2017 first rounders'. Put the shoe on the other foot. No one is going to trade when they can get them for free.

Essendon should get compo picks for the players they lose.

Why would a team trade for them when they can get them as a FA? Seriously, do you know how stupid that sounds?

'Hey Essendon, we can get Hurley without losing a pick, but we want to help you out and give you our 2016/2017 first rounders'. Put the shoe on the other foot. No one is going to trade when they can get them for free.

Essendon should get compo picks for the players they lose.

If we can compo picks for the players we lose fine but it's been reported they can leave as DFA's

If we can compo picks for the players we lose fine but it's been reported they can leave as DFA's
But even if you don't get compo, that isn't going to mean opposition clubs are just going to hand over top picks when they don't have to.

Monfries left, but both clubs benefited more from a trade deal.

Pick 37 was overs for Cooney, his knees are shot. And stalling on the Ryder deal when they were only offering pick 17, which was less than what Ben McEvoy got?

Fair point on the Chappy deal.

Melksham deal was done quickly because both parties knew what the other wanted and were happy to give that up.

Gumby had a lot of injuries, but we sent him there for a mid-50's pick. He passed a medical at Freo.

Carlisle deal was stalled because they thought that they could wait around and just offer pick 24 and a hack/player that wasn't required in Sipposs and Hickey, then got shown up by Hawthorn. You have to literally be the only non St. Kilda supporter who thinks it was Dodoro's fault for not accepting 24 + Hickey/Sipposs. They refused to even entertain pick 5 as part of the deal until Hawthorn came to the party.

Oh, is that right? Newsflash: Lots of trades don't get done because players decide they want to stay, many other clubs refuse to let them go. Essendon's "hard to deal with" mantra is beyond stupid nowadays and has been a myth since Sheedy left. If any club should have the label "hard to deal with" now it's Gold Coast.
After losing Harley for very little needed to extract everything we could for Dixon.

We also let Zac Smith head off to Geelong for very little too.

Also Caddy got to Geelong pretty easily :)

After losing Harley for very little needed to extract everything we could for Dixon.

Gold Coast have been more difficult to deal with in their history than Essendon have. How about asking for 19 and Hurley for Caddy?

Gold Coast have been more difficult to deal with in their history than Essendon have. How about asking for 19 and Hurley for Caddy?
I can honestly only think of 2 deals we have played hardball which was Caddy to Essendon and Dixon to Port. I'm not saying Essendon are hard to deal with btw. Every person has to do the best for their own club.

Rosa trade was also very easy with a win win for both clubs IMO .
Fit experienced contracted player ( rosa ) who was best 22 in GF for 31 in a weak draft was about right .

I can honestly only think of 2 deals we have played hardball which was Caddy to Essendon and Dixon to Port. I'm not saying Essendon are hard to deal with btw. Every person has to do the best for their own club.
You had every right to ask for what you did in regards to Dixon .
Proven power forwards that can ruck are gold .

Any word on Wines and Omeara's contracts? Now Luke Parker just signed for 5 you have to think if either clubs wished to retain they need to offer a 5+ deal as well.

Would love them both but would be very costly via trade. Maybe 3rd rounders (JK).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back